Guns N Roses

SpiderDee

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I last saw " Guns n Roses" in the SECC in 2012.  Obvs this was without Slash and Duff.  The thing is I've watched some footage of the reunion, while it's nice to see them back again.  It is clearly just for the money and Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse.  Perhaps it's doing GnR and AC/DC has put a strain on one of the most recognizable voices in rock.

That being said I would love this current line up to release an album.  Chinese Democracy was actually a very good album and I'm glad songs like Better and T.W.A.T get performed. 

Saw them twice in 06 when it was still Finck.

Had no interest once that walloper Ashba was involved.

Have to say though, Axl nailed it when I saw him with AC/DC at the Etihad.
It seems to be more the mid range stuff that he has bother with now.

He can still reach some fairly ludicrous high notes aswell as having that really deep baritone, which is actually his natural singing voice.

Oddly not been bothered about seeing them since Saul & Duff came back in.
If they get some proper new tunes out then I'll go.

The thing is I've watched some footage of the reunion, while it's nice to see them back again.  It is clearly just for the money...

Well, of course it is, why else would they tour?

I saw that fud Rod Stewart having a go at Elton John for doing a fairwell tour claiming it was just for the money. When was the last time that dickhead toured and donated all his earnings??

Bands/pop artists tour to make money no matter what stage of their career. I find it very bizarre when folk use that as a tool to slate them when they get together for a reunion.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I saw that fud Rod Stewart having a go at Elton John for doing a fairwell tour claiming it was just for the money. When was the last time that dickhead toured and donated all his earnings??

Bands/pop artists tour to make money no matter what stage of their career. I find it very bizarre when folk use that as a tool to slate them when they get together for a reunion.

Thing is, Axl was repeatedly offered ridiculous amounts through the years to get the "classic"lineup back together, or at least have Slash & Duff back in but steadfastly refused no matter how big the offer, given his feelings towards Mr Hudson for so long.

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has Rod Stewart released any original material in the last couple of decades?

49 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Anyone see them at Download?

Know a couple of folk that went down but not heard any reports yet.

Watched a live stream of it.

Will always be one of my favourite bands but they really need to tweak the sets, at least for festivals.

Way too many ballads, covers and jams just take all the momentum away.

For me the novelty of Slash & Duff being back in has long since worn off.

Glad I saw them back in 06 when Axl at least seemed to have a bit of fire to him.

3 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Anyone see them at Download?

Aye, if I'm being honest they were the weakest of the headliners. I've seen clips and heard from people who've seen them since the reunion where Axl has sounded great, but it would be fair to say that was him on a bad night. As Derek Patterson said it's the mid-range stuff he struggles with - most of the choruses and songs like Better which he's high on were absolutely fine, but he struggled for a lot of the set.

Far too much fucking about at the end of songs which consisted entirely of Slash doodling as well; you expect a bit of that and obviously Axl needs a breather, but it was pretty much every song for the last two hours. It sounds churlish to complain about missing songs when a band has played for three hours but they could easily have cut some of the dicking around and squeezed in My Michelle or Yesterdays.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m always amused to discover that Tommy Stinson was in Guns N Roses longer than he was in the Replacements. I’ve no idea if that’s true, but I hear it a lot.

98-15 pretty much so aye.

The Mats never lasted that long continuously.

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Far too much fucking about at the end of songs which consisted entirely of Slash doodling as well; you expect a bit of that and obviously Axl needs a breather, but it was pretty much every song for the last two hours. It sounds churlish to complain about missing songs when a band has played for three hours but they could easily have cut some of the dicking around and squeezed in My Michelle or Yesterdays.

Even stuff like So Fine (which Duff takes a good bit of), Pretty Tied Up or Bad Obsession aren't overly challenging vocally.

The slow, plodding covers just suck the life out of the set.

No idea why Black Hole Sun is still in the set. It was a nice touch after Cornell checked out but surely they could have dropped it after a few shows back then.

The covers were my only gripe when I saw them. They missed out a couple of originals I enjoy that could have been done instead. Dead Horse being my particular main one. Love that tune.

Going to see them in Barcelona in a couple of weeks. They were very good at Slaine last year. Suspect the novelty will have worn off after this one and unless they play hampden or murrayfield probably wouldn't travel again.

• 2 weeks later...