St. Aggies v St. Eelmen, 21st Nov.

Have to agree re: Martin Woods. As much as I cringe every time he steps up for a set piece, he played really well today. Thrilled to see Boyce back on the scoresheet, likewise with Curran. Davies bossing the back as usual, but unsure what happened for Boyd to replace Robertson. Dingwall with a goal in 2 straight games, getting better all the time. Only downside was forgetting my gloves! Bloody freezing!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the game was a lot tighter than the 3-0 scoreline suggests. Two superb goals from County, an incredible finish from Curran and a sublime touch from Dingwall around the defender was superb. Davies was excellent as usual, Dingwall looks better and better from an attacking aspect each game. Martin Woods had a very good game. A very solid game and a great three points.

Motherwell look a bit lost.

Have to agree re: Martin Woods. As much as I cringe every time he steps up for a set piece...

That, for me, is the funny thing - outside of seeing him standing over a set piece, I have no real issue with him. Yet that image comes to define him as a player for people, and I confess I start to see him only 'through that lens' all too often, and disliking him for it... the stupid part of that being, our frustration should surely be directed more at the manager about that, than at Woods himself?

Anyway, a pleasing result. Probably the biggest positive for me was Boyce getting (and taking) such a chance. I thought his confidence was seeping away the longer the game went on. He does so much more for the team than just scoring, but he thrives on goals and I think the rest of his game starts to suffer the longer he goes without a goal. Anyone else think his celebrations were very measured, like "it was only a penalty"...? His chance-taking from open play recently has been in stark contrast to the first couple of months of the season. Hopefully 'only a penalty' will give him enough of a boost to stay on top of his game and also get back in among the regular goals again.

We started pretty well. Seemed up for it, maybe should have a penalty. We just got worse and worse as the game went on. The defending at the second and third goals was embarrassing.

Highlight for me was Connor going to take a free kick on the wing as 'left back' Marvin Johnson had been continuously punting balls down the line straight into touch.

Ripley fires it straight into the crowd.

Are Motherwell going to pay for our smashed satellite dish? No Sky in the Staggies Bar last night :lol:

Job done, 3 pts, needed a win after losing last 3 in league. Quite an odd game though, stop start, ref useless, flat atmosphere.

Yes Woods did fine, same every week please Martin. Davies and Dingwall also very good.

Missed Gardyne. Would like to see more of Schalk.

I realise Motherwell were missing a few, but really poor.

That, for me, is the funny thing - outside of seeing him standing over a set piece, I have no real issue with him.

I think there was a lot more going on than to just focus on Woods, but he did well.

Yet I think that needs to be qualified with one of my gripes about his play: I don't think he is ambitious often enough with his passing. Of course there are times when the easy option is the necessary option - I don't have a problem with him passing to oncoming full-backs when his back is to goal. However, I find myself bemused when he has the opportunity to open up his body just a little and spread the play to the wide midfielders, when they would have the opportunity to get 1v1 on a defender. 4/5 times he'll back out of that and pass backwards, which can be doubly frustrating when the ball ends up with a Scott Boyd trademark floaty backspun chip to the opposition. He's got the ability and often the opportunity to take more creative responsibility around the halfway line, but often doesn't take that - and didn't do that much yesterday.

I appreciate that is some serious nitpicking, but I think it's the difference between me often giving him flak and believing he deserves to be a first choice.

Woods is absolutely at his worst when he dwells on the ball for too long and at his best when he recycles the ball quickly and plays one-two combinations. I saw none of the former and some of the latter yesterday, so I'm happy for that. More of the same please.

There were a few glimpses of the bad old Ricky Foster yesterday. He was robbed of possession twice in very dangerous positions.

If they are the moments I am thinking of, both arrived from Dingwall's slack passing that put Foster into trouble. Foster should've coped better but Dingwall needlessly lost the ball with his back to goal more than once. That's a part of his game that can be improved on. Beautiful touch to leave Laing for dead though (even if I'd be ripping if a County midfielder ball-watched in the manner that Grimshaw did, to allow Dingwall to get on to the give-and-go with Woods).

Just watched the highlight the defending for the 2nd and 3rd goals in unacceptable. The first goal to be fair was a belter.

At least we actually created decent chances. That's probably the only positive.

We can create chances til the cows come home, it matters not a jot if we can't convert them into goals I'm afraid. Our defending yesterday yet again was utterly desperate by the looks of things from those highlights and those two factors - failure to score and inability to defend - are what is going to see us either facing another playoff or being relegated in May.

Our entire club is a complete shambles, from boardroom to support just now. We have a 'board' who have made two shockingly bad managerial appointments in a row, a manager in place who is only there due to 'good personal relations' with folk in high positions and who produced a good season for us seven years ago now; and finally a squad of players either past it, never had it and never will have it, all assembled by messers McCall and Baraclough, both of whom were allowed to continue in their roles for far longer than they should have been. And to make matters worse we have elements of our support who just shrug all of the above off because "we're only Motherwell"...

The phrase 'perfect storm' comes to mind.

I agree with your post above MJC the whole club is a shambles from top to bottom, there is no plan B in place. I was speaking to someone around this time last year when we were in the same position and was told relegation could cost up to a million pounds a year in money, that in itself will kill the club as there is no way the Well Society would be able to find that kind of money, just like the way they are struggling to meet targets just now.

I will be at the clubs AGM in a couple weeks and as a shareholder I have real concerns on a few issues and will be demanding answers as to how things will be improved. Les Hutchison stated in the summer the target this season was to challenge top 6 and get a cup run, so far we are failing in both. I think the problem is those running the club don't know how to fix things and that's what is the most concerning issue to me.

Archived