If You Won The Lottery

Sweet Pete

Why on earth would you work? The world out there, plenty of money and you'd want to waste it working?

Yeah, I don't get that at all.

Depends on how much you win and how comfortable you'd want to live (and how old you are).

£1M doesn't go as far as you'd think. To live off it and the interest rates indefinitely you could only spend around £35-40k pa by my count. If you wanted as much as £50k pa you'd run out completely within 40 years.

At £1M I'd probably keep working (probably reduced hours or part-time or something though) and lock away at least 3/4s of it to earn interest, and use the interest (£25k+ pa) and a chunk at the start for whatever the hell I wanted.

If you're nearer the £10M mark though, you could spend well over £300k pa and still have more money than you started with. So you could definitely quit your job in that scenario.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a measurable percentage of the population for whom their work is the most important thing in their life. My mother was one of them before she was forced to stop work. Worst thing that could've happened to her would have been coming into serious money and quitting - she'd have gone out of her mind as she literally had no interests outside of work, and I've known a few other people like that too. I couldn't imagine her retiring even if a billionaire uncle died and left her everything.

I take after my father more <_<

Assuming something like 5m...

Pay off all close family debts.

Set up trust funds for close family kids.

Set up yearly travel funds for close family so everyone gets the holiday of their choice every year.

Spread half of what remains across various investments and currencies.

Retire and travel, train up in various crafts, build shit, grow shit, get to various projects I've wanted to do for years.

There's a measurable percentage of the population for whom their work is the most important thing in their life. My mother was one of them before she was forced to stop work. Worst thing that could've happened to her would have been coming into serious money and quitting - she'd have gone out of her mind as she literally had no interests outside of work, and I've known a few other people like that too. I couldn't imagine her retiring even if a billionaire uncle died and left her everything.

I take after my father more <_<

Bit like the binman from Drumchapel that won the fixed odds a long while ago - think it was a Scottish or British record win at the time. The interview went like:

"So, you'll be quitting your job?"

"Eh, naw..."

"You'll be buying a new house, then?"

"Naw - we like it here."

"What about a round the world trip?"

"We like Blackpool."

(Getting desperate) "New car?"

"Ach, naw - there's years left in the one we've got."

FFS. Just give it back and let someone who knows what to do with it have a shot.

Bit like the binman from Drumchapel that won the fixed odds a long while ago - think it was a Scottish or British record win at the time. The interview went like:

"So, you'll be quitting your job?"

"Eh, naw..."

"You'll be buying a new house, then?"

"Naw - we like it here."

"What about a round the world trip?"

"We like Blackpool."

(Getting desperate) "New car?"

"Ach, naw - there's years left in the one we've got."

FFS. Just give it back and let someone who knows what to do with it have a shot.

There's a special breed of people who are born and raised in Drumchapel and will never leave except in a pine box. It's one of the scummiest, ugliest schemes in Glasgow (though nowhere near as bad as it was when I were a lad and auld Shep were a pup, it has loads of new housing now where slums once stood), but for some reason those who grow up there never move out of it. I imagine it's like a sort of ingrained scumminess that means they wouldn't be happy anywhere else. Or a sort of institutionalisation, like a prisoner being afraid to leave jail.

ETA: It's also a mad Rangers stronghold, which basically proves everything I said in my previous paragraph.

I'd probably buy a nice comfortable house in a quiet street in the Lanark area. Three or four bedrooms, no need for anything more.

Just for a wee bit of contrast, I would also buy an apartment in central Amsterdam where I would live much of the year, getting out my face, shagging howkers, playing glow in the dark mini golf and eating herrings.

EDIT - I would also buy Lesmahagow Juniors and do a Craig Whyte.

There's a special breed of people who are born and raised in Drumchapel and will never leave except in a pine box. It's one of the scummiest, ugliest schemes in Glasgow (though nowhere near as bad as it was when I were a lad and auld Shep were a pup, it has loads of new housing now where slums once stood), but for some reason those who grow up there never move out of it. I imagine it's like a sort of ingrained scumminess that means they wouldn't be happy anywhere else. Or a sort of institutionalisation, like a prisoner being afraid to leave jail.

ETA: It's also a mad Rangers stronghold, which basically proves everything I said in my previous paragraph.

Drumchapel is a hole, but the description you gave could go for dozens, if not hundreds of schemes and shitey wee towns across Scotland.

I'd probably give it all to my sisters.

I live in 2nd worlds, and like my 100 year house....that I sleep. Money will always want more. Life expectation is more, while life reality is now.

Everyone wants, when you get, you're either disappointed or want more. Except what you have. If it changes good or bad....life

Depends on how much you win and how comfortable you'd want to live (and how old you are).

£1M doesn't go as far as you'd think. To live off it and the interest rates indefinitely you could only spend around £35-40k pa by my count.

Only? I'd suspect a lot of folk won't get near that sort of income when they're working. £35K a year is comfortable living.

Only? I'd suspect a lot of folk won't get near that sort of income when they're working. £35K a year is comfortable living.

Aye but you'd have a lot of time on your hands, that invariably means more spending, which means your £35k pa would get used up sooner.

We've definitely done the £1m question on here before. The consensus seemed to be that it's enough to quit working if you invest in property or business that gives you an income and watch your big spending so as to avoid dwindling your savings.

1) Do not tell the missus

2) Quit my job, ensure they signed secrecy agreements, act normal at home ensuring missus knows nothing about this

3) Wait several weeks, dump missus

4) Wait for next big jackpot win. Pretend to everyone that you were the winner who decided to not be named publicly

5) Spread some among family and friends

5) Balls deep in 10's, kilo's of prop, plenty of traveling and partying overseas

6) Wish I'd invested some of it properly while searching for a job after blowing the lot

Shaggin 9s and snorting lines

Beasts

Aye but you'd have a lot of time on your hands, that invariably means more spending, which means your £35k pa would get used up sooner.

We've definitely done the £1m question on here before. The consensus seemed to be that it's enough to quit working if you invest in property or business that gives you an income and watch your big spending so as to avoid dwindling your savings.

Aye well I suppose if you're a boring c**t that needs to spend lots of money to enjoy yourself then you will use it up quicker. I would be out the door with my feet up for £1M in a flash.

Aye well I suppose if you're a boring c**t that needs to spend lots of money to enjoy yourself then you will use it up quicker. I would be out the door with my feet up for £1M in a flash.

Anywhere north of £1m and I'm taking a shite on my desk and then out the door.

Archived