When I was a boy you went guising at Halloween, none of this this "Trick or Treating". Get dressed up, go to a few neighbours houses, earn your nuts, apples and tablet by singing a song or reciting a poem. You didnae just knock at strangers' doors, shout Trick or Treat and stick your hand out hoping to get a pound or two in cash. And the build up to Christmas didn't start until about a week before the big day. That's when decorations went up and the excitement began to build. Nowadays the decorations are up in the middle of November and the adverts on the TV are whipping everyone up into a spending frenzy and if you don't spend 500 pounds on each of your weans' presents you are not classed as fit to be a parent. By the time Christmas Day comes around the novelty and anticipation has worn off, half the decorations have disappeared and the tree lost all its needles weeks ago. And sending out Christmas Cards, that's another added stress. Should you send one to such and such 'cos they didn't send one last year, but you better just in case. Send them to friends and neighbours even though you see most of them every day and could wish them a Merry Christmas without needing to buy cards to do it. Whose still alive, whose changed addresses? The fact that I am not a believer in the real reason we "celebrate" Christmas is apparently not good enough to escape all the hassle, tradition and conformity dictate that we must be seen to be taking part, and the stress is apparently all part of the Festive Experience.

There was a Kensitas Club shop in Glasgow city centre that redeemed the vouchers in exchange for goods. You needed a mental amount to get anything. A Kensitas Club branded holdall was about 500 coupons.

A 100 coupons back in the day would get you ten fags.

When I was a boy you went guising at Halloween, none of this this "Trick or Treating". Get dressed up, go to a few neighbours houses, earn your nuts, apples and tablet by singing a song or reciting a poem. You didnae just knock at strangers' doors, shout Trick or Treat and stick your hand out hoping to get a pound or two in cash. And the build up to Christmas didn't start until about a week before the big day. That's when decorations went up and the excitement began to build. Nowadays the decorations are up in the middle of November and the adverts on the TV are whipping everyone up into a spending frenzy and if you don't spend 500 pounds on each of your weans' presents you are not classed as fit to be a parent. By the time Christmas Day comes around the novelty and anticipation has worn off, half the decorations have disappeared and the tree lost all its needles weeks ago. And sending out Christmas Cards, that's another added stress. Should you send one to such and such 'cos they didn't send one last year, but you better just in case. Send them to friends and neighbours even though you see most of them every day and could wish them a Merry Christmas without needing to buy cards to do it. Whose still alive, whose changed addresses? The fact that I am not a believer in the real reason we "celebrate" Christmas is apparently not good enough to escape all the hassle, tradition and conformity dictate that we must be seen to be taking part, and the stress is apparently all part of the Festive Experience.

Christmas only became an official public holiday in Scotland in 1958!!!

Am I right in saying that is why we get an extra bank holiday compared to Englandshire

I always thought Scotland had Xmas Day (now) and Jan 1 and 2 whereas England had Xmas and Boxing Day and Jan 1.

Anyway, more importantly, our over-privileged wee Fockers have Youtube guides to help them build Airfix kits, get the right paint schemes and avoid finger marks on the glass and not to break the transfers (now called decals). Who even painted their Airfix kits?

I think I remember when kinky referred to the boots worn by Dr Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) in The Avengers.

Pussy Galore in kinky boots. What the majority of men dream of.

Can't really recall if she wore them in Goldfinger.