Biggest upsets

energyzone

No I haven't forgotten that as The Pace ended our fantastic sequence of winning that trophy. PFFFFTTTT

Would hardly say Dunipace beating Talbot

that season was a shock.They played each other four times that season with one win each and two draws.That year,Talbot,Pollok,Petershill,and Arthurlie all lost Westfield.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the Ants going down to Glenafton who were the holders in the west of scotland cup and beating them 3-0. Was my 21st birthday as well. What a present haha

for me it was beating robroy with the ants in the west qf in pens

EK thistle 2 - 0 Bellshill (league cup) in 2001

Game played at Firhill with EK huge underdogs against Bellshill at their strongest with Dingwall, McGrillan, Burns, Drew etc.

EK defended brilliantly with Mitchell, lees, penman and Shearer and both forwards, McVey and Brogan caused Bellshill no end of problems and scored a goal apiece.

EK thistle 2 - 0 Bellshill (league cup) in 2001

Game played at Firhill with EK huge underdogs against Bellshill at their strongest with Dingwall, McGrillan, Burns, Drew etc.

EK defended brilliantly with Mitchell, lees, penman and Shearer and both forwards, McVey and Brogan caused Bellshill no end of problems and scored a goal apiece.

I was at this 2002 final though I don't recall EK being 'huge underdogs' as the guys you've listed * were more than decent players for Thistle. Unfortunately for Bellshill,the dismissal of the goal machine that was Dingy undoubtedly tilted the game in EK's favour,and was a major factor in the final outcome.

* Afaik,wee Shearer was still turning in decent performances last season in the Amateurs. :)

I was at this 2002 final though I don't recall EK being 'huge underdogs' as the guys you've listed * were more than decent players for Thistle. Unfortunately for Bellshill,the dismissal of the goal machine that was Dingy undoubtedly tilted the game in EK's favour,and was a major factor in the final outcome.

* Afaik,wee Shearer was still turning in decent performances last season in the Amateurs. :)

I think it was Gerry Farrell?!?! (Played in middle of the park, ex senior with Berwick Rangers) That was red carded midway through second half ...... Definitely wasn't 'Dingy'.

I think it was Gerry Farrell?!?! (Played in middle of the park, ex senior with Berwick Rangers) That was red carded midway through second half ...... Definitely wasn't 'Dingy'.

You're wrong bud,much to Rab Sneddon's chagrin,the wee man was red carded in that match. ;)

You're wrong bud,much to Rab Sneddon's chagrin,the wee man was red carded in that match. ;)

I'll be stubborn and just agree to disagree on this one. 100% Farrell went for a Kung fu style kick to shearer's chest having already been cautioned for a stamp on another EK player. If Dingy went too, then so be it.

I was going to mention Lochee Harp beating Cumnock but Bul beat me to it, a couple of season's ago Lugar beat Glenafton 7-1 in the Ardgh cup which caused a few ripples. Also remember Talbot drawing Blantyre at home in the QF of the Scottish, Blantyre were the team everyone wanted drawn against as they where seen to be the weakest team left in the cup they skelpt Talbot 3-0 at Beechwood which was a real shock at the time. Blantyre then lost 5-0 to Pollok in the semi-final and if memory serves me right that game was played at Rob Roy's park the first semi to be played at a Junior park in many years.

Absolutely correct. And, much as you have spoken about turning points on another thread, this was ours. The start of the glory years.

Although I actually think it was beating Kilbirnie at Somerset which was the moment where the club began to believe. Before then we had lost a few semi finals so it was great to break the hoodoo.

The way the village (and surrounding villages) reacted to the 1986 win pushed us on to where we are now.

I know folk tend to look at the Scottish but Talbot where a very successful club before winning the Scottish cup in 1986, especially in the West, Talbot had also won several league titles and numerous other cups such as the Ayrshire and old Ayrshire District cups, the biggest turning point in Talbot's history was the committee's decision to appoint Wullie Knox as manager without that one decision Talbot would never have went on to achieve what they have.

I know folk tend to look at the Scottish but Talbot where a very successful club before winning the Scottish cup in 1986, especially in the West, Talbot had also won several league titles and numerous other cups such as the Ayrshire and old Ayrshire District cups, the biggest turning point in Talbot's history was the committee's decision to appoint Wullie Knox as manager without that one decision Talbot would never have went on to achieve what they have.

Agreed. But not getting the Scottish was frustrating before that final. If we continued winning the smaller cups and not the big one then we'd be known as a nearly team. Mr Knox made the difference though, you're right.

Agreed. But not getting the Scottish was frustrating before that final. If we continued winning the smaller cups and not the big one then we'd be known as a nearly team. Mr Knox made the difference though, you're right.

Did you come close to winning the Scottish during that period?

Archived