Ross County vs Celtic - League Cup Semi Final

Forfinn

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was always going to be the Sunday with Rangers due to play at home on Saturday, but glad the powers that be have shown some common sense for a change and put it in at 15:00 rather than lunchtime.

• 4 weeks later...

Another really good initiative from Ross County.

Ross County mobilise Staggie army in a bid to topple Celts in semi

AMBITIOUS plans to mobilise thousands of Ross County fans to back the club's bold bid to beat Celtic in Glasgow - again - have been revealed.

The Dingwall club meets the Scottish Champions in the League Cup semi-final at Hampden Park next month.

In a bid to help the underdogs once again pull off an historic semi-final victory, the Ross-shire club is set to lay on 20 free buses for fans - and underwrite free tickets for under 16s.

The eagerly anticipated fixture is slated for Junday, January 31, 2016 in Glasgow. Celtic will be the overwhelming favourites.

However, Staggies fans will draw encouragement from the club's historic 2010 Scottish Cup semi-final victory over the same opponents at Hampden.

Club chairman Roy MacGregor said: “With the memory of our Scottish Cup Final appearance at Hampden Park still fresh in our memories we thought that it would be fantastic backing for Jim McIntyre and the team if we could get as many supporters to Glasgow for the game as possible.

"So with the generous support of sponsors and directors we are able to offer two fantastic incentives that we hope will make it that little bit easier for supporters to attend on the day.

“The League Cup Semi Final should be a fantastic occasion and we do not want any of our supporters, young or old, to miss out.

“It will be difficult to match the 17,000 fans we took to Hampden last time we were there but if we could take 6,000-plus I’m sure it would make a huge difference to the team and perhaps even make the difference in whether we proceed to the Final or not.”

Tickets for the League Cup Semi-Final are available to pre-order in the Club Shop, over the telephone or online (rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk) from Monday December 7.

Gift vouchers are also available from the club shop and can be redeemed for tickets.

Buses are also available to book from Monday December 7.

The free ticket for U16s requires an accompanying adult to have purchased a ticket.

Places in the buses will be allocated on a first come, first served basis to those purchasing match day tickets.

In the run up to Christmas, the club shop will be open for extended hours including many evenings and weekends.

Check the official website or Facebook and Twitter account @RCFCStaggies for updates or call the Club on 01349 860 860.

• 1 month later...

More than two months after the draw, this game is finally up next. Expecting a cracking day out in Glasgow but probably a thoroughly underwhelming time between 15:00-17:00.

Ross County have been given a section of the South Stand and Celtic the rest of the South Stand and whole of the North, about 20,000 tickets sold so far with no plans to open the stands behind either goal unless demand later in the week which is pretty fucking unlikely

What do County fans think the team will be?

I think I'm correct in thinking that Ross County have started every game of the season so far with a 4-4-2, apart from the two fixtures against Celtic. In the opener, they went with a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 shape with Irvine holding midfield, and the same shape in the next game with Woods in that position.

I think it's more likely than not that McIntyre will do the same again, especially if he is convinced that Woods is fit enough to start. There's a part of me that wants McIntyre to be bold and play two up front, with Curran partnering Schalk to pull Celtic's centre-backs around. Graham had quite a good game against Motherwell and was involved in County's better attacks - he might even be the favourite to start if County go with one up front - but Schalk and Curran work the channels better... albeit they've barely had five minutes on the pitch as a partnership. I suspect that if Graham starts then Celtic's centre-backs will be able to handle him fairly well. If it's 4-4-2 then Murdoch would probably start on one of the flanks and Gardyne the other.

I'm guessing it's likely that Paul Quinn will sign during the week. Would he be drafted straight in? Boyd did well against Moult for the most part. Quinn has already slayed Celtic this season and would pose a threat at set-pieces, which is something that County look really dangerous at again now that McShane is taking the corners.

Guest Ieuan16

What do County fans think the team will be?

As long as Schalk is involved in some capacity, whether that be with Curran/Graham up front, or cutting in off the left, I will be more optimistic about our chances of winning. His movement coupled with McShane's range of passing may prove to be a good outlet. At the very least it will give Celtic's defence something to think about.

I suggest the idea of starting him wide due to the unlikelihood of Graham being dropped, especially after scoring on Saturday. Would be harsh on either of them really, considering they've worked quite well together.

What I'd like to see (lends itself to a change of shape if needed):

Fox

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Murdoch

Irvine McShane

Gardyne Schalk

Graham

What we will see:

Fox

Fraser Boyd Davies Foster

Murdoch Irvine McShane Gardyne

Graham Curran

Is Boyce definitely out, I thought the cast was coming off this week?

There is a quote somewhere from the manager that he will be in the squad but is unlikely to start. They will have to monitor him carefully because another knock on the hand could set him back.

In other news, Woods wasn't injured on Saturday, he was ill. So presuming he recovers in time to train for a few days then I would expect he, McShane and Irvine to play in a central three.

As long as Schalk is involved in some capacity, whether that be with Curran/Graham up front, or cutting in off the left, I will be more optimistic about our chances of winning. His movement coupled with McShane's range of passing may prove to be a good outlet. At the very least it will give Celtic's defence something to think about.

I suggest the idea of starting him wide due to the unlikelihood of Graham being dropped, especially after scoring on Saturday. Would be harsh on either of them really, considering they've worked quite well together.

What I'd like to see (lends itself to a change of shape if needed):

Fox

Murdoch

Irvine McShane

Gardyne Schalk

Graham

What we will see:

Fox

Fraser Boyd Davies Foster

Graham Curran

I'd be delighted to see us go 442 against celtic, and with the pace of Schalk and Curran up top too.
Graham although scoring a couple goals recently would be far too easy for their central defenders to mark.
If we can push them high up the pitch it will hopefully prevent their central defenders pushing into midfield and overloading us and pinning our midfield back. Pace and workrate should be our biggest assets :
Fox
Schalk Curran

Whenever Celtic get to a semi final and final at Hampden they open up the function suites at Celtic Park and invite supporters clubs/buses as well as individuals and sponsors etc

The last couple of times we've went up before a semi final its been okay but a bit pricey £4 to £5 a pint and about £4 for a spirit and mixer....funnily enough though we never get an invite before a final....as the places are taken by 'investors' i.e Sponsors & c***s with hospitality boxes

Our buses 'invite' this year came at a price of £100, although each member gets a free roll on bacon/sausage & a pint with that....about 50 going on our bus that day so not bad when you think about it....however when asked if should we make it to the final will we get in that day came the unsure ten second pause followed by a "Erm....we'll see what we can do if and when the time comes"

In other words f**k off....the fat cats, suits and sponsors will be in that day, you've no chance

Suffice to say on Sunday we are going to the Supporters Association club on London Road for 12.00... £2.50 a pint and free rolls and pies at 1.30 8)

Whenever Celtic get to a semi final and final at Hampden they open up the function suites at Celtic Park and invite supporters clubs/buses as well as individuals and sponsors etc

The last couple of times we've went up before a semi final its been okay but a bit pricey £4 to £5 a pint and about £4 for a spirit and mixer....funnily enough though we never get an invite before a final....as the places are taken by 'investors' i.e Sponsors & c***s with hospitality boxes

Our buses 'invite' this year came at a price of £100, although each member gets a free roll on bacon/sausage & a pint with that....about 50 going on our bus that day so not bad when you think about it....however when asked if should we make it to the final will we get in that day came the unsure ten second pause followed by a "Erm....we'll see what we can do if and when the time comes"

In other words f**k off....the fat cats, suits and sponsors will be in that day, you've no chance

Suffice to say on Sunday we are going to the Supporters Association club on London Road for 12.00... £2.50 a pint and free rolls and pies at 1.30 8)

Ouch, it kind of sums up corporate football doesn't it, you're welcome to play for the privilege to buy expensive beer one day but don't come a knocking on cup final day, we wouldn't want to scare away the fat cats getting their cream.

I love how the Linlithgow Rose thread has more posts than this one. I am probably not going to make the game now. But as it is on the TV, I don't mind as much. If we approach the game in the manner we did at Parkhead, rather than the game at Victoria Park I think we will fair better. I am hoping that Curran, Boyce and Irvine are all fit.

Has it been confirmed if Quinn is cup tied? Do we try to defend against Celtic or do we go for the we'll try and outscore you? Should be a good game, and hopefully it will be a third semi final win out of three for Highland sides against Celtic.

Archived