Hibernian v St Johnstone - League Cup Semi Final

Bambino7

The one that came closest was surely the 2008 semi v Rangers. Again, drawn against the toughest team, but we went into it knowing that QOS would meet us in the final if we got through. We led against Rangers in extra time yet still blew it on pens.

Thanks to an absolutely horrendous Cousin dive. The Semi before Vennegoor of Hesselink had also thrown himself down to win a penalty for Celtic. My seethe over those incidents still simmers to this day :lol:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think so - I'm not sure of the exact number, but we seem to have been drawn against the toughest team in almost all the 19 semis we've been in in our recent history. We've lost 16 of them.

Hopefully this table makes sense. League ranking of the four clubs in each semi-final draw, at the time of the draw. We were paired with team highlighted yellow.

post-6873-0-78205400-1454489537_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Oh. Ya. Fucker. 

Was just reading through this thread and found this belter.

50184EC6-388A-44B2-A94C-39A8D706FB44.jpeg

Why were you reading through a two year old semi final thread? 

When our period at near the pinnacle of Scottish football eventually comes to an end, I wonder if we'll look back at this as one that got away. A semi final against a lower league team for a chance to play Ross County in a national Cup Final.  

It just came at the wrong time. We'd been absolutely flying up until the middle of December, whereafter we were mince for at least two months in our annual mid-season slump. There was Millar's recurring injuries, O'Halloran's complete loss of form and interest, and the goals that had been flowing a few months earlier, completely dried up.

If the tournament was structured then as it is now, with the final in November, we'd now be sitting on two major honours, with just the league title to go to complete the set :whistle

Archived