Is this the most open West Premier league for a while?

jimbaxters

Watching the results each week and reading the Talbot fans' concerns about their team, this looks like a hugely open and exciting league this year.

Rob Roy have been surprising most, Pollok starting well and teams struggling to put a run of three wins together.

How do we think it will pan out?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

every team will finish in their rightful place and it will not be the place in everybody`s head.

that jim is a very tough question to be answered in November along with the fact Talbot and hurlford have both lost two big players this week.

call off`s,injuries,suspentions and form will play a major roll.

then Talbot will win the league!.....that's the head talking..... :)

Might sound silly but a feel Medda are doomed already

A third of their season already finished & only 4 points on the board meaning they need to win at least half of their remaining 14 games

Rabs a feel will fall back into mid table

Talbot to win it again although with a struggle

My own team although sitting 8th just now should be higher with a bit more luck . So top 5 for us

Glens & Peasies to be fighting with Shettleston & Arthurlie for the other relegation & play off place.

It's a league where you can't really predict a result which makes it exciting. However it's very cut throat due to only being 12 teams and 22 games with potentially 25% of the league being relegated.

My own team got off to a very difficult start. What I have seen so far, we dropped points to Arthurlie and Meadow who are probably two of the poorer teams in the league. Our best performance result was Saturday against a good Beith team.

But it's early days a few wins in a row fires you up the league very quickly while a few loses leaves you in trouble. So it is without a doubt a league where you take one game at a time.

Also with various amounts of games played by each team it's hard to see where everyone will end up. I would imagine Talbot being too strong for everyone and winning the league -hitting around 50 points. That said if these injuries do have an affect and teams keep beating each other then we could have a shock.

I think that is unfair. It's all about your mindset you will probably have talbot down as winners before a ball is kicked. Meaning no matter what happens you will be of a mind that this league only has one winner.

The bottom will be very exciting and i can't see talbot getting the mammoth points total of years gone by.

I have taken in several games so far and found every game exciting and well worth the admission.

This league as ever is great value for money.

It does only have one winner. Talbot have more fans, money and resources than a lot of the others put together. The only way they won't win the league is if they have a fixture backlog at the end of the season.

The only way Talbot will get a challenge is if another team gets bankrolled by a benefactor, which in junior football is seen as sacrilege (unless it's your team that benefits in which case it's fine).

How can Talbot have more money and fans than several clubs put together Nonsense.

We Pollok will have the highest average crowd.

Hurlford will spend the most money.

You have this for a start.

Talbot don't publish attendance figures so I'm unsure how Pollok can claim that.

Neither Pollok or Hurlford win the Scottish every two years, and with it the additional gate receipts/merchandise/prize money. Then the runs in the Senior Cup, the fundraising by fans and the committee etc. I don't suppose their players will be playing for peanuts.

If they aren't so far ahead of the opposition then it's strange that nobody has challenged them recently.

Watching the results each week and reading the Talbot fans' concerns about their team, this looks like a hugely open and exciting league this year.

Rob Roy have been surprising most, Pollok starting well and teams struggling to put a run of three wins together.

How do we think it will pan out?

Talbot then hurlford, Glens mid-table (I hope) and no looking good for meadow at the moment but 2 wins changes everything.

Wits happened 2 Medda? They have a good team there r the players doing a Chelsea n would rather lose for the manager than win? Talbot 2 win the league but some of there fans need 2 get a grip so big headed it's unbelievable. Hope Medda stay up as I enjoy ma trips down there (here's hoping we go up)

Mon the papers

Bit strange most seem to be writing rob roy off even though we have already beaten auchinleck, hurlford and troon and are sitting pretty at the top. Yes auchinleck will most likely win it but i think we will push them all the way to finish second.

It does only have one winner. Talbot have more fans, money and resources than a lot of the others put together. The only way they won't win the league is if they have a fixture backlog at the end of the season.

The only way Talbot will get a challenge is if another team gets bankrolled by a benefactor, which in junior football is seen as sacrilege (unless it's your team that benefits in which case it's fine).

I disagree with the last point. It is possible to win this league and compete with Talbot without being 'bank rolled'

If you can get a settled side, improving it each year then you can win this league. This is what Pollok did in the early years and what Talbot do just now.

It's also what Jonny Miller did at Beith and if you look at his current side he still has a few key players from that side.

Too many teams rip up their side and start again each season which puts them well behind.

I also believe each team has its time and the league goes through a cycle. Pollok had theirs but too many players came to the end of the road at the same time - this may happen to Talbot too.

If Pollok win at Petershill on Saturday they will go top with 16pts from 9 games played.

Troon, Hurlford, & Talbot are the only teams scoring over 2 goals a game.

Kilbirnie have the best defence in the & if they can sign JL they will be serious title challengers.

Auchinleck losing to Cumbernauld Colts was bad news for the title chasers, because it means they can concentrate on the domestic silverware.

Apart from Medda, any team in the league should be fancying there chances of becoming Champions.

If Pollok win at Petershill on Saturday they will go top with 16pts from 9 games played.

Kilbirnie have the best defence in the & if they can sign JL they will be serious title challengers.

Auchinleck losing to Cumbernauld Colts was bad news for the title chasers, because it means they can concentrate on the domestic silverware.

Apart from Medda, any team in the league should be fancying there chances of becoming Champions.

Aye if only jl was available

I would love to think if we beat Petershill we could be considered as contenders - however to win the league hitting 50 points is a must (and often not enough) so we could only afford to drop 6 points for rest of season.

Survival will do for me with a good cup run and have a go next season!

More likely to be one of the least open. Considering Talbot's alleged bad form they nonetheless find themselves in a very handy position and it seems to be coming down to the likes of Rob Roy to challenge them as Hurlford and Medda don't look the part.

Not saying Talbot have it won or that a challenge won't emerge from somewhere unexpected but the last 3 seasons have seen them with this sort of points total about a third of the way through and going on to top the table at the end. Even a declining Talbot will be strong favourites from here on in.

I disagree with the last point. It is possible to win this league and compete with Talbot without being 'bank rolled'

If you can get a settled side, improving it each year then you can win this league. This is what Pollok did in the early years and what Talbot do just now.

It's also what Jonny Miller did at Beith and if you look at his current side he still has a few key players from that side.

Too many teams rip up their side and start again each season which puts them well behind.

I also believe each team has its time and the league goes through a cycle. Pollok had theirs but too many players came to the end of the road at the same time - this may happen to Talbot too.

A very good post and I just don't get this attitude that the leagues talbots once again .

Why can't a hurlford , troon , robroy kilbirnie or another team not have a right good bash at the league as Talbot despite always being a very good team aren't invincible as we've saw in two lowland league teams putting them out the scottish senior cup and with robroy beating them .

Teams need to show ambition in believing that they can take the title , sadly our defence are leaking goals and it won't be us as we are shipping goals , that's 15 goals conceded on the road now in the league in games away to hurlford , meadow and pollok , quite sad really as I see us as being as good as anyone in the forward areas .

Personally I would love to see troon winning the league as they're a very nice club and I like them all down there , I hope that they believe that they can win the title as it's more than achievable and if you believe in yourself you might just get there , if you don't have the ambition nor belief and think that the leagues talbots then you will never ever get there.

A very good post and I just don't get this attitude that the leagues talbots once again .

Why can't a hurlford , troon , robroy kilbirnie or another team not have a right good bash at the league as Talbot despite always being a very good team aren't invincible as we've saw in two lowland league teams putting them out the scottish senior cup and with robroy beating them .

Teams need to show ambition in believing that they can take the title , sadly our defence are leaking goals and it won't be us as we are shipping goals , that's 15 goals conceded on the road now in the league in games away to hurlford , meadow and pollok , quite sad really as I see us as being as good as anyone in the forward areas .

Personally I would love to see troon winning the league as they're a very nice club and I like them all down there , I hope that they believe that they can win the title as it's more than achievable and if you believe in yourself you might just get there , if you don't have the ambition nor belief and think that the leagues talbots then you will never ever get there.

i agree think this will be the closest league with all teams capable of beating each other.

think we will turn it around but would go for hurlford to snatch it.

still think beith could go down with shettleston and peasie

Archived