Why did you join Pie and Bovril?

squidger

It was either that or join the Young Conservatives.

Nah, I used to read One F in Falkirk and one day a bunch of the posters there were slagging off something called Pie and Bovril. So, I decided to come check it out and decided I liked it better.

ETA: I realise there are only a few here old enough to get the Young Conservatives reference.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am a veteran of the football forums of yesteryear. The Honestpage was up and running early on and that led me to sites like First Division online and then with Rivals.net you learned there were other sad sacks like yourself from other teams. Rivals in particular was great when you could change your username whenever you liked and post on any other teams forum. But for a few years I never really bothered as the HP died a slow and painful death with some of the most deranged wallopers known to man posting the same constant drivel ad nauseum.

Pie and Bovril was mentioned on a regular basis on the now deceased Honestpage (RIP my sweet prince) and lurked here for quite a while. I joined when I discovered the Referendum thread in 2013.

Go through spells of posting and not posting as and when I can be arsed.

Whatever this monster has become, it is an education of sorts, and is a good source of news that you may miss.

But, when you find yourself, in real life;

asking people to be specific,

tell people that they are worse than Hitler for liking Parma Violets

ask someone to provide a link to verify their claim,

ask for pics or it didn't happen,

say "wid" to yourself when you pass a billboard poster with a woman on it or see Nicola Sturgeon in the flesh

Describe someone as a puddle drinker

tell people that they are hardly box office

when you start going to #Perthshire for a day

or use any other of the many p&b isms

Then it is time to log off for a while.

I used to post on a number of online football forums / message boards. During my Maroon clad days, I posted on Jambos Kickback, which was the biggest gaggle of roasters ever. The main one I posted on was the Scotsman pages and whilst there was numerous tossers on there, at least it was a mix of different fans and if you can filter all the pish, get a good point of view from the other team.

One common theme I see on here is folk really hate their respective club's fan's websites. For me, I think it's much more fun mixing with other fans of clubs and the match threads are far more interesting.

But, when you find yourself, in real life;

asking people to be specific,

Almost said failed statelet rather than Northern Ireland in real life a few days back, so know what you mean.

Prefer the relative lack of group think on general boards like this. It is also a lot better moderated than the old Scotland board on footymad in that the problem children do seem to exit stage right regardless of their views or what team they support.

I remember I searched something on Google about Accies and one of the results was a link to a P & B thread. I didn't actually join for around half a year as I didn't want to get sucked into it all but my 15 year old self couldn't resist.

Because dafc.net is full of the most hideous, cretinous sycophantic morons among our support

Yeah.... I could say the same about CTO. It was when one of that site's senior bods started to slag off P&B at every opportunity I decided to take a look.

I've been here ever since.

:)

Stumbled across the site and read only for a couple of years and then decided to join, the Arbroath v Montrose banter was the selling point. Then I saw the Arbroath posters in Irvine walking to the match, the closest I would ever get to real life Fraggles. :) I preferred the Muppets to the Fraggles when I was younger, but I've also been to Auchinleck and Cowdenbeath. I sometimes think of the various posters on here as muppet characters. :) Just as well I've never tried LSD.

But in 2010 while in Elgin before the Elgin derby between New Elgin and Bishopmill Utd I had decide I had enough of football and that was going to be my last game. A couple of days later I joined Pie and Bovril and I'm still fed up with it all and haven't regretted it since, apart from the wasted hours I could have spent in tha pub actually communicating with people without having to go through a keyboard.

The wit and the banter is the draw of the forum, sometimes even when things get tedious and boring there's always someone here to bring standards back up.....P&B = good guys.

That would be enough to put anybody off the game tbf.

Grass roots is football in its more pure sense regardless of the level, standard, quality etc without the baggage and BS at the other end of the spectrum is never going to be a reason to stop watching the game. Sometimes I just can't be arsed with Champions League and the other glorified money making leagues that price out and exclude the real fans that have supported their club for decades and the bias and the corruption . I could go on....however P&B is more than just a football forum, its a place where football minded folks can discuss topics cross sectioning many subjects and in most cases its good for people get their views down.

Because the various BBC forums died and I decamped to SPLForum. Which then died.

Lurked here for years just reading as i'd gotten bored of posting about football. Still the case really, which is why I spend way more time on the nonsense sections here than I ever do on the SPL part.

Archived