Why did you join Pie and Bovril?

squidger

There's a distinct lack of posters saying "I joined on/after Fed 14 2012 just to post about Sevco".

We know you're there. Just man up.

Probably this for me.

I had an account years ago with a handful of posts but was more of a reader than poster but I'm sure I went to post a comment on the BRALT and couldn't remember my password so created a new account.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a member of One F in Falkirk, but they just allowed a slew of trolls on. One called himself "the turbanator" and just spouted stuff about Arabs. There was no moderation, and a few of the regulars joined in. It just put me right off it, if I'm honest. It was no longer a laugh, just UKIP wannabes endlessly going on about Arabs, benefit thieves and the like. So I came here, and haven't gone back.

With the media coverage of Scottish football being what it is I used to rely on the honestpage for reviews of the games and players when I was working abroad.

The honestpage took a nosedive during the Reid era when half a dozen folk posted relentless shite on the match threads, so much so, PnB was a more balanced option.

Fortunately the worst of the honestpage crew have migrated to the new site rather than here and the person whos pish killed off the honestpage for everyone hasn't worked out how to access either, he must just shout his mad ramblings out of a window now.

I joined in 2007, so in my 8 years here my sex life has become extinct, my psychological and physical wellbeing has deteriorated to an all time low and any hope I had the future has effectively dissipated as I've become enmeshed in a dull career that sucks the life out me but which I must do, day in, day out just to financially survive and where the only succor comes from the bottom of a whisky bottle as the contents joylessly obliterate the emotional scars and accumulated regrets that constantly assail me.

Has anyone else become a divorced middle aged alcoholic since they joined up?

Sounds about right plus i gave up smoking.

I see someone earlier mentioned Rivals.net? Am sure that's the mob who banned me after I posted a message on every board they had - all teams, all sports. This was because they were going to shut down the QOS (and other lower league) boards because they weren't popular enough. After my cyber vigilantism the QOS board became very popular but they still closed it.

It was that banning that moved me to Scottish Football Online(?) and it was that forum continually crashing that forced me to join P&B.

Weren't Rivals a big outfit back in the day.

Think that's where Follow Follow came from.

Weren't Rivals a big outfit back in the day.

Think that's where Follow Follow came from.

Yeah if it's the same site I'm thinking about then they had a separate board for a most every sport /team you can think off. But then they started binning the less popular boards and the natives got restless. Well me I got restless.

I also used to be a frequent contributor on our official site (before they binned it) and also the QOS MAD one (before it was ruined imho by a couple of absolute Thundercats posting continual pish).

But P&B won me over with a quick flash of her tits and the promise of more to follow. Still waiting Div, still waiting...

FF was definitely on Rivals back in its Ethel Cardew era of having almost no moderation.

Sure Rivals was free and ended up ditching FF because of the hassle.

FF ended up with the fanzine editor and became a paying set up.

At which point i stopped looking.

The Rangers fanzine chap had a programme shop at one time beside STV studios.

He must have been one of the few football supporters that made two bob from his hobby/football.

At mate of mine was his postie.

He'd mail delivered 6 days a week from across the planet.

Seemed he'd interesting tastes in politics.

Think he stood as a UUP candidate in East Antrim back in 1998.

Have got vague recollections of that as well. Did some googling and it turns out he stood for the UKUP in the 1996 Forum elections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Antrim_%28Assembly_constituency%29

They were an integrationist (anti-devolution and favouring direct rule from Westminster) Unionist Party run by the former MP for North Down, Robert McCartney:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Unionist_Party

There was also a Rugby League Scotland involvement at one point that seemed a bit odd.

Have got vague recollections of that as well. Did some googling and it turns out he stood for the UKUP in the 1996 Forum elections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Antrim_%28Assembly_constituency%29

They were an integrationist (anti-devolution and favouring direct rule from Westminster) Unionist Party run by the former MP for North Down, Robert McCartney:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Unionist_Party

There was also a Rugby League Scotland involvement at one point that seemed a bit odd.

Met the chap a few times drinking in Wisons No.6 i think, down the Partick Cross end of Byres Rd pre the whole area in every direction being taken over by the West Enders.

Never heard the Rugby League thingy before.

Archived