Scottish Non-League Programme of the Year 2015-16

Burnie_man

It’s that time again to get your entries in for the 2015-2016 Scottish Non-League Programme of the Year awards backed by Programme Monthly magazine www.programmemonthly.com

Buckie Thistle were the inaugural winners in 2013-14, with Luncarty taking the title last season (with Gala Runners-up and Buckie third), however Buckie sadly no longer issue programmes as the editor has moved away, and Luncarty sadly folded at the end of last season, therefore the field is wide open for a new champion!

I’d like to invite entries from as wide a range of clubs as possible for the Highland League, Lowland League, Juniors, East of Scotland League and South of Scotland League. Each club should provide two separate issues from this season of which one must be from a league match. Both programmes must be from competitive matches, no friendlies or special one-off issues please.

We had 58 entries in 2013-14, which dropped to 42 last season, hopefully we can boost number again up over 50 this season. I have seen a fair few issues already and once again there are quality productions out there.

Entries will be open until April (so plenty time yet) and results will be published in the June or July 2016 edition and each club who enters will receive a copy of that months Programme Monthly upon request.

Please PM me for details, or email burnieman2@hotmail.com and please feel free to spread the word via other forums or to clubs directly.

We, Dunbar Utd, did a programme for the visit of Irvine Meadow. If we do a programme for another home cup tie, say the one against Tranent Juniors, would that allow us to enter or are two cup games not considered.

Well, the competition is designed to reward clubs who issue programmes regularly throughout the season, and I have to rely somewhat on the good faith of those that are entering that they are not trying to pull a fast one! (as well as my own knowledge). Hence why the stipulation of at least one league game as generally speaking, if clubs issue one-off programmes it’s likely to be for a big cup tie.

So no offence, but I’d rather clubs who only issue two or three programmes in a season didn’t enter as it’s a bit unfair to those who churn one out every other week (as you guys used to do).

Why did I mark it down quite simply i don't believe in a competition anymore where a person singular creates the rules and judges by the self made rules and in the two years to date has extended the closing date to make the competition look a lot better than it was. By all means carry on but a competition where any club is penalised for creating much needed revenue through sponsorship in a match programme is clearly misguided. And maybe clubs should be aware of the criteria before they enter, like any other competition. The true value of a programme to a club and it's supporters is what it brings to their individual club not some secret scorecard!

Why did I mark it down quite simply i don't believe in a competition anymore where a person singular creates the rules and judges by the self made rules and in the two years to date has extended the closing date to make the competition look a lot better than it was. By all means carry on but a competition where any club is penalised for creating much needed revenue through sponsorship in a match programme is clearly misguided. And maybe clubs should be aware of the criteria before they enter, like any other competition. The true value of a programme to a club and it's supporters is what it brings to their individual club not some secret scorecard!

Hang on a second here Andy, it's a competition run by me backed by the magazine. If it wasn't for me, there would be no competition at all, and let's be clear it's only a bit of fun, there's no prizes, no monetary gain, it's just a pat of the back for those who put a lot of time and effort into producing programmes week in week out. A bit of recognition.

"The true value of a programme to a club and it's supporters is what it brings to their individual club" well who is saying otherwise? "...and not some secret scorecard" this is a little baffling given I'm happy to send the spreadsheet to anyone who requests it, and have done so the last two years. Why on earth would it be a secret, what is there to hide?

You seem to be a bit humpty because I haven't judged the Penicuik programme higher than you think it deserves to be, well I'm sorry about that. Nothing personal, that's just the way it is.The Penicuik programme is very good, it just so happens that in my opinion there are others that are better (have actually you seen them all?)

I have had a number of messages from people thanking me for running the competition and highlighting where they can improve, and that's what it's all about. Encouraging and improving as there are sadly clubs who don't see the value in programmes or who don't give enough credit to those who take the time and effort voluntarily to produce them.

I'm baffled and sad that you feel so strongly about it, if others feel the same then I'm happy to wrap it.

Have to say, I agree with you to an extent. Although I'm currently not doing programmes for us at the moment, I wasn't happy with ours being submitted as I strongly disagreed with how "judging" was done.

Before he says anything, I had seen a number of other entries to compare and I disagreed with their marking (either high or low). There were a couple that I couldn't believe had been marked that way, and some I felt were incorrect and it felt like a "biased" style scoring based on the scorer's mates, in some instances.

At the end of the day, as he says himself, this is just the "Burnieman Awards" and that's all. I don't agree with his views and so will hold little weight to his opinion now and will be happy for our club be excluded from his "pat on the back" if/when our programmes ever return.

Have to say, I agree with you to an extent. Although I'm currently not doing programmes for us at the moment, I wasn't happy with ours being submitted as I strongly disagreed with how "judging" was done.

Before he says anything, I had seen a number of other entries to compare and I disagreed with their marking (either high or low). There were a couple that I couldn't believe had been marked that way, and some I felt were incorrect and it felt like a "biased" style scoring based on the scorer's mates, in some instances.

At the end of the day, as he says himself, this is just the "Graeme McGinty Awards" and that's all. I don't agree with his views and so will hold little weight to his opinion now and will be happy for our club be excluded from his "pat on the back" if/when our programmes ever return.

I wont engage with the personal stuff with you Jez Grimwood. I have no idea what the problem is that you have with me given you blocked me on Lochgelly's twitter account for reasons unknown and refused to communicate, but that's upto you, although you shouldn't use the clubs twitter account to take out your personal issues with people, it does the club no credit, and your final sentence above is a little juvenile don't you think?

To the awards themselves, I don't actually know personally any other programme editors at other clubs, so the little dig at being "biased" is a bit silly and frankly pathetic, and you disagreed with the marking - so what? I expect everyone disagrees to a certain extent, everyone has their own opinion of how well they rate their own efforts, and nobody sees all the entries to be able to judge for themselves anyway. I judge what I see in front of me and as fairly as I can.

You finished 12th the first year and 15th last year, it was a good programme and finished above my own effort both years, where would you have rated yourself in comparison to those that finished above you?

Sadly it seems some fowk take things far too seriously for what is supposed to be a bit of fun. I'm happy to step aside and let anyone else do the competition, take the time to gather entries, respond to emails, read every programme and then rate them. Any takers, Andy? Jez?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no I'm not disgruntled at the results in anyway over the couple of years. But I will say I'd much rather have a programme with loads of money making adverts and decent content than one with very little money making adverts but nice colour pictures which do nothing for the club but suit the 'connosuiers' type of programme. I know the time that goes into producing a programme and all that goes with it so my post/opinion is no criticism in anyway of anyone who gives up their time to produce a programme.

I think what the competition has done is raise awareness of programmes in non league football, I'm not sure whether it has raised the standard or maybe provided support to clubs who might want to produce one but don't know where to start. Lastly a number of clubs have stopped issuing this season and it would be interesting to know the reasons why? In the ideal world every junior club would produce a programme in some shape or form and maybe some direction and assistance to clubs may be more beneficial to the junior game and the clubs themselves.

Ps I have seen all the entries and went out of my way to acquire some of them not only to compare but to get ideas etc to drive a continual improvement in my clubs programme.

Graeme you seem to be taking the criticism personally which certainly wasn't the intention of my post. I was just.expressing my personal opinion on a subject close to my heart. Kelty no more, Buckie no more, Lochgelly no more, it's not a song, it's the demise of the programme. And one all programme fans should be looking at arresting the slide and asking is a competition the best way to do that? Finally one question - why isn't the scoring criteria openly published for potential competitors to see. After all how many people enter a competition without knowing the rules?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no I'm not disgruntled at the results in anyway over the couple of years. But I will say I'd much rather have a programme with loads of money making adverts and decent content than one with very little money making adverts but nice colour pictures which do nothing for the club but suit the 'connosuiers' type of programme. I know the time that goes into producing a programme and all that goes with it so my post/opinion is no criticism in anyway of anyone who gives up their time to produce a programme.

I think what the competition has done is raise awareness of programmes in non league football, I'm not sure whether it has raised the standard or maybe provided support to clubs who might want to produce one but don't know where to start. Lastly a number of clubs have stopped issuing this season and it would be interesting to know the reasons why? In the ideal world every junior club would produce a programme in some shape or form and maybe some direction and assistance to clubs may be more beneficial to the junior game and the clubs themselves.

Ps I have seen all the entries and went out of my way to acquire some of them not only to compare but to get ideas etc to drive a continual improvement in my clubs programme.

Indeed everyone is entitled to their opinion, and every club is entitled to produce their programme in any shape or form they choose, nobody is suggesting otherwise.

If a Blackburn programme was dragging in a lot of money from advertising I wouldn't do anything to harm that regardless of what content I would like to put into it instead. However, you have to accept that other clubs may do a better job with content and less advertising. We've all heard complaints about people buying programmes for £1 or £2 that are all adverts and little reading.

I have been asked by several editors to provide advice on how to improve and where to obtain content for the programme, what software to use, where to get it printed etc etc, I'm happy to respond and provide anything I think will help, I've been doing the Blackburn programme for 23 years so have a fair idea what works and what doesn't.

Penicuik finished 18th the first year and 12th last year, I hope you enter this year and your drive for continual improvement sees a higher finish.

Graeme you seem to be taking the criticism personally which certainly wasn't the intention of my post. I was just.expressing my personal opinion on a subject close to my heart. Kelty no more, Buckie no more, Lochgelly no more, it's not a song, it's the demise of the programme. And one all programme fans should be looking at arresting the slide and asking is a competition the best way to do that? Finally one question - why isn't the scoring criteria openly published for potential competitors to see. After all how many people enter a competition without knowing the rules?

Well let's just say to receive quite pointed criticism over something that was only ever supposed to be a bit of fun, and does take up a lot of my time, is a little disheartening.

The competition doesn't pretend to be anything more than that, and it DOES drive people to seek advice and improvement. Buckie stopped because the editor moved away, Luncarty folded, Kelty I'm not sure why. the programme competition wouldn't have changed any of that.

I have posted before how the scoring works, and I'll do that again but at the end of the day its not scientific and there will be anomolies, although it is more comprehensive than how the SPFL competition is scored.

This is the team areas assessed and there are 10 points for each, so marks out of 100

Overall design

Quality of print/colour

Adverts/Space Filling - more adverts/space filling as a %, less points

Visitors coverage, and other articles/features

Club News and views

Historical articles relating to club

Stats (tables/results/line-ups/appearances/goalscorers/fixtures)

Quality of match reports

Pictures

Overall value for money for paying punter

Hope Jimmy has given you two of our last 3/4 issues to judge on.

Hi Jez, when you say you weren't happy that the programmes were entered, that doesn't quite ring true does it?

It's only for fun folks, nothing serious! Will submit two Irvine Meadow programmes later on in the year. Hope you keep it going. Will hopefully have improved in quality from my first season editing the programme and printing it on my parents printer to now lot more professional though I do know hard to do programmes at our level as often takes up at least 2/3 plus nights work at short notice with fixtures, even if fixtures out in advance a lot of work goes in to them and well done every team who does one.

If it's any help Graham I'd be quite happy to help out with the scoring so there could be less dubiety about it being just the views of one person?

I know some of you know that I run a Facebook page called Scottish non league programmes and memorabilia, and at the moment run the only Programme Fair in Scotland.? Although I'm a Talbot fan would be quite happy not to adjudicate on my own club's issues.

If anyone is interested in joining the above named FB page please follow the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1460380410929222/

Archived