Just Cause 3

djchapsticks

Looking at some of the beta gameplay of this and it looks like unbridled madness in every sense of the word.

Ive watched someone making an exploding human slingshot, blowing up a bridge whilst riding on top of a supercar on said bridge and wingsuiting away as it crumbled into the river below, tethering a light aircraft to a helicopter before flying to 20,000 feet, letting it go and trying (and just failing) to skydive from chopper into free falling aircraft and taking off in a fighter jet from the back of a cargo train.

It looks utterly brilliant fun. I loved JC2 though understand some critics claiming it was 'empty' and samey after a while. This is going to be top, top fun though.

Pre-ordered it yesterday. Seen more then enough gameplay footage from YouTube channels I trust to know it'll be more fun and carnage. I'm fully expecting another lacklustre main campaign that is over before it feels like it begins but as long as there is lots of random things to blow up and side missions I'll be happy.

I was going to get the PS4 copy but the PC version was over £15 cheaper.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/just-cause-3-day-1-edition-ps4-xbox-one-33-99-delivered-base-xbox-one-includes-just-2316018

Courtesy of Kill Jester who just put me onto this great deal. Brand new Day 1 delievered for £34 (with JC2 thrown in if you're an XBOne player) can't say fairer than that!!

I've just ordered it for myself for xmas on behalf of my missus.

• 4 weeks later...

There seem to be a lot of youtubers getting advanced copies of this for the purposes of making videos. Definitely good marketing, but no matter how often they say "I'm not getting paid to make this video", it seems a little shady to me. Probably just being cynical though.

I had a 30 quid amazon voucher kicking around, so got this arriving on Thursday for a tenner. Had intended to hold off on getting anything more with Fallout still to play, but it'll do in the off times. It does look fun from the videos I've seen - I just wonder whether it's going to be one of those games that's wonderful fun on the surface, but doesn't have much depth.

Poured a few hours into this tonight. Really is tremendous fun but, as mentioned above, the loading times in particular are absolutely killer. Some last about 30 seconds, others about three minutes. It's worth it though, for the explosions alone.

Been playing this a lot recently. Overall its what you'd expect from a Just Cause game and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I like how the jets are now actually useful. In JC2 all the jets were useless as they only fired directly forward which meant trying to hit targets on the ground was nearly impossible. Now there is a fighter with homing missiles and a bomber that has a target circle to show where you're bombs will hit. Quite fun to take a bomber for a spin and drop bombs on police stations and the like and seeing how much damage you can cause.

The online mode thing needs patched. It isn't necessary for the game since its only there to update leader boards but if you lose the connection to the server the game pauses and it asks if you want to reconnect or go into offline mode. When you're in the middle of attacking a base or a mission this becomes very annoying. The thing should run in a silent mode and you shouldn't be aware if your connection has been lost or not.

The AI is incredibly dumb at times. I see enemy vehicles randomly crashing and exploding a lot. Also when liberating towns I've seen groups of 20 odd civilians just running up against a wall going no where.

Just been doing some of the challenges for gears so I can get some of the mods like extra tethers, more ammo etc.

You need to be clever with some of them. I just did the sniper frenzy I destruction game. First attempt I got a single gear out of 5 and was like "How the f**k are you meant to wreck havoc with a bloody sniper rifle?"

I then watched a YouTube video and you need to spend a bit of time at the start setting things up as the timer doesn't start until you destroy the first thing. Second attempt after watching the video I nailed it and got all 5 gears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone else got Just Cause 4 yet?

I got it for Christmas and so far after 5 hours and countless crashes later I'm really not feeling or enjoying this like I did the last two games. A lot of what made the last 2 games fun has been removed or heavily changed.  For example you'd spend hours blowing up enemy structures and taking control of bases and settlements.  That seems to be more or less gone.  It was quite easy to work out what you were doing in the previous games.  This one has a concept of front lines and advancing squads but I can't quite get my head around it and it really doesn't feel like it has improved the game.  It looks cool when you see your fighters and the enemy on the front line but after a few minutes you quickly realise how cosmetic and shallow it is. 

Even the side quests seem completely lacking so far.  There are wingsuit challenges but they seem to quick "do this in 10 second" challenges instead of the epic course of JC3.  I spent so much time trying to nail those in the last game.  They had the addictive quality of being challenging but at the same time you knew if you got it spot on you'd be able to nail it.  I haven't found any racing quests either yet.  So far the only vehicle based challenge was driving a car over the edge of a bridge and throw a hoop. 

The grappling hook has been massively changed.  Initially I was quite excited by this but I'd argue less is definitely more.  Now the thing is so complex it is difficult to use the tethers in a consistent and coherent manner. Oh and the planted explosives and grenades seem to have completely disappeared.

Just one massive "meh" for me right now, which is probably the worst thing it could be.  It makes me want to get JC3 up and running again.  I must have had crashes in the double digits tonight and that was after barely a couple of hours of play.  The JC games have always had their issues but I've never seen it as bad as this.  I'm at a point where I can't be bothered playing it again until at least another patch is released and it hopefully becomes a bit more stable.

Archived