Albion Rovers v Cowdenbeath

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely correct. No initiative to increase crowd size has worked in a sustained way and the Board's response has been to squeeze harder the permanent fans.

I would reserve judgement Bold until it's clear where the club are financially which will be when the now overdue accounts are published for last year. The permanent fans certainly didn't complain when they were paying a minimum £10 for season tickets. Last year we had a surplus of £192k- 6 months later the Chairman stated that the current wage budget was unsustainable and the PWYC season ticket an unmitigated disaster.

Think wee Rab Watt and Frank Meade are set for a comeback???

The best way to get big crowds at Cliftonhill is to spend as much time as possible in the same league as the well-supported teams.

Agree, consolidation is the key word this season, personally I think another promotion would be quite damaging for the club.

I've no knowledge of the club's financial details but I doubt that the hundred or so diehards paid a tenner for their ST last season. But we're the ones who are being asked for more at the gate this year. As one who has always brought friends and family to the games it upsets me that we're being asked, for example, to pay to introduce young children to Cliftonhill. I think that's simply putting off their Dads and Grandas from coming themselves. As a kid I got in free, and I brought my family in free when they were wee. We all pay our way now but will they bring my grandchildren?

Also: I don't really get the "unmitigated disaster" assertion. Whilst a large number of STs were sold at low price, I wonder what the total income from ST sales was and how it compared with, for example, the year before?

I can't see how a promotion would damage us, as long as everyone kept their feet on the ground, accepted that we'll probably get pumped every week and acted accordingly.

But I don't think that's any more than a hypothetical. I'll stick my neck out and predict Albion Rovers will not get promoted this season!

Agree, consolidation is the key word this season, personally I think another promotion would be quite damaging for the club.

Not sure if serious!

Back in the 60s it was said that Tam Fagan instructed coaches, on the few occasions when we were challenging near the top of Div 2, to hold back and avoid damaging promotions.

Not sure if serious!

Back in the 60s it was said that Tam Fagan instructed coaches, on the few occasions when we were challenging near the top of Div 2, to hold back and avoid damaging promotions.

Perfectly serious- promotion unlikely it maybe would probably mean pressure for further ground improvements and temptation to over spend on playing squad.

I've no knowledge of the club's financial details but I doubt that the hundred or so diehards paid a tenner for their ST last season. But we're the ones who are being asked for more at the gate this year. As one who has always brought friends and family to the games it upsets me that we're being asked, for example, to pay to introduce young children to Cliftonhill. I think that's simply putting off their Dads and Grandas from coming themselves. As a kid I got in free, and I brought my family in free when they were wee. We all pay our way now but will they bring my grandchildren?

Also: I don't really get the "unmitigated disaster" assertion. Whilst a large number of STs were sold at low price, I wonder what the total income from ST sales was and how it compared with, for example, the year before?

Apparently supporters kicked the backside out of the £10 season tickets paying on average £27. The full picture should of course become clear when up to date accounts are issued.

Agree on the charging policy for kids which is the lifeblood of the club- at the least these are the ones who should be paying £10 for a season ticket.

Perfectly serious- promotion unlikely it maybe would probably mean pressure for further ground improvements and temptation to over spend on playing squad.

I would imagine that Rovers would get hit with further ground improvements if they went up to the Championship, although your current capacity isn't that far short of what Dumbarton have at present.

You would need permanent segregation but with that new terracing behind the goals that would probably cover that. You would maybe have to upgrade your floodlight level we had to when we went up 600 lux is the minimum for the Championship.

Apparently supporters kicked the backside out of the £10 season tickets paying on average £27. The full picture should of course become clear when up to date accounts are issued.

Agree on the charging policy for kids which is the lifeblood of the club- at the least these are the ones who should be paying £10 for a season ticket.

You must have been well down on the previous season if the average payment was £27, always a gamble doing something like that and looks like it backfired big style.

We have a £30 season ticket for 12 and unders and £60 for 12-16s as you say the young fans are the future fans and you have to try all you can to get them hooked. Also we have a token £1 charge for pay on the gate 12 and unders coming with an adult.

It's interesting to be having this conversation. I take Vic's point but I think we have a chance of finishing in the top 4. I doubt we'd get by Dunfermline or Dumbarton in the play- offs but, who knows. Promotion would be the Rovers' finest hour and we should go all out for it. If nothing else, it would be the best strategy for avoiding relegation.

It's interesting to be having this conversation. I take Vic's point but I think we have a chance of finishing in the top 4. I doubt we'd get by Dunfermline or Dumbarton in the play- offs but, who knows. Promotion would be the Rovers' finest hour and we should go all out for it. If nothing else, it would be the best strategy for avoiding relegation.

The championship isn't the land of milk and honey. We spent last season getting reamed almost every week and it's enough to put you off going. Players also aren't daft and fleece any extra income in wages so it's not like you're making a bundle.

Then again we're getting reamed almost every week in this division so what's different.

You did better the season before though, and Alloa made a decent fist of it last year. All the wee teams' fortunes are cyclical and what goes up will most certainly do the other thing later. But we should all enjoy our day in the sun (if that's not too many metaphors.)

Archived