#DonsAwayRetroDay - 28 November - Aberdeen vs Ross County

Overall this season, I think we've only pieced a good 90 minutes together twice - Rijeka away and Hearts at Tynecastle. That's very frustrating, because when we do piece them together, we're a superb team.

As is often the case, I agree with your post match comments BD. But nae sure I agree about the Tyncastle game - I would say that was the epitome of a Jeckyll and Hyde effort. The second half showing that sunny afternoon was arguably the start of our recent slump in form.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As is often the case, I agree with your post match comments BD. But nae sure I agree about the Tyncastle game - I would say that was the epitome of a Jeckyll and Hyde effort. The second half showing that sunny afternoon was arguably the start of our recent slump in form.

That's a fair enough shout BP, I must admit that I thought we did alright in the second half there, creating two wonderful chances, albeit passing them up. But we held Hearts at arm's length fairly well, after losing a cheap set-piece goal.

Easter Road spooked the team far more than it should have done, for me!

The proverbial game of two halves, a total Jekyll and Hyde performance from us. The first half was an abhorrent and unacceptable performance, chiefly aided by an uncharacteristic f**k up by Flood and Reynolds, abetted by horrendous tactics from the manager. How often do we need to play 4-4-2 before McInnes realises that it does nothing other than encourage us to hoof the ball and fails to bring our midfield into play, which is clearly the strongest area of our team. McGinn looked lost up front, totally wasted, while Kenny McLean, Graeme Shinnie and Jonny Hayes were moved about the midfield a number of times in the first half. Our passing was non-existent, yet in spite of all this, we could easily have gone in level but missed a superb chance through Considine just after the County goal. The team were deservedly booed off at half time.

The change back to 4-2-3-1, with McGinn restored to a wide area won us the game. He was unstoppable second half, where he and Hayes started to overload Marcus Fraser and expose Scott Boyd. Later in the game, McLean combined with McGinn to overload that left wing, it worked a treat. The play from McGinn for the equaliser and second goal was superb, creating both. Shinnie and Flood acquitted themselves well in the centre of the park in the second half, where the 2 of them and McLean began to outnumber and outwork Woods and Irvine. Perhaps a small thing but in the second half, we pressed the game far higher up the park, which induced errors from County. Amazing the difference in pressing between the first and second half. Superb save from Danny Ward at 2-1 from Boyce, a big moment in the game.

The frustrating thing is that even in our 8 game run at the start of the season, we witnessed a number of these 45 minute performances. Overall this season, I think we've only pieced a good 90 minutes together twice - Rijeka away and Hearts at Tynecastle. That's very frustrating, because when we do piece them together, we're a superb team.

For County, plenty positives from that game - Woods and Irvine were outstanding first half, Irvine in particular has come on leaps and bounds over the last 18 months. Curran and Boyce worked extremely hard in the first half, but Curran tired (natural after his concussion layoff) and the quality that came off the bench was inferior. Tony Dingwall was also very good early on, showing why he's rated in Dingwall, but again tired over the stretch.

Happy with the second half, which was our best half of football for a long time, but it would be nice if we could piece performances together more often.

The pressing made a significant difference I think, we were inviting them onto us too much in the second half. I felt sorry for Flood as there were 2 or 3 times he pushed up to close down County players then saw that the rest of the midfield and defence were still sitting back. Once the 2nd half started, we did press them and the result was that we got back to the quick counter-attacking game that suits us best.

Couldn't believe it when I saw McLean was out wide. We had the perfect starting 11 to have Flood and Shinnie sit and battle to let him push on and sit behind Rooney with McGinn & Hayes wide but we had to wait until the 2nd half for that to be fully sorted which, combined with the above, is the reason we dragged ourselves back into the game.

I quite like having Quinn in the team as you can see (and hear) him organising things at the back. He's the one ensuring that others aren't being dragged out of position or are not tight enough to their man. Not saying he's our best CB but I do see that quality in him more than in Reynolds and Taylor.

Just why do Aberdeen fans turn in to such a seething mess when it comes to Ricky Foster? I get that he played for Rangers, but he came through the Dons youth system and always worked his socks off playing for them. It's not as if he's Nacho Novo or Fernando Ricksen FFS.

That's what infuriates me about Mark Reynolds, you rarely see him getting torn in about the other defenders or organising the team. Far too quiet even with the captains armband.

It's an issue for us across the park. We have our 'leaders' Reynolds and Jack who say very little on the park. Jack can't wait to get involved and square up to players in other teams, I'd like to see some of that aggression channelled to competing in the middle of the park and geeing up his own team.

Reynolds has never stepped into that leadership role most would have expected him to after Anderson retired, and considering his age I doubt we'll ever see it. Excellent player but I get the impression he'd be happy being a bridesmaid for life.

He was pretty much despised before he went to the ****. An absolute shitebag an disgrace of a captain. A poor player that was typical of the utter dross that played for us for so long. He's a reminder of some of the worst years at AFC, it's abhorrent that so many managers kept faith with him.

Bloody hell, I agree with all of this as well.

Think I might need a lie down.

Just why do Aberdeen fans turn in to such a seething mess when it comes to Ricky Foster? I get that he played for Rangers, but he came through the Dons youth system and always worked his socks off playing for them. It's not as if he's Nacho Novo or Fernando Ricksen FFS.

I didn't have a problem with him at first. I don't hate players just because they happen to be poor.

However, for the Aberdeen captain to jump at a loan move to Rangers in the first place was one thing. To then go there, play better than he ever had done at Pittodrie, and say in an interview it was because he was trying harder because the expectation at Rangers was to win every game, that did it for me.

He was meant to be captain, it was part of his job to ensure we had the same mentality that we should be winning every game. Say what you like about Ryan Jack as captain at the moment but I don't think you'd hear him make a comment like that and he's more of a winner than Foster ever was.

Sums up the attitude of the club at the time. He was one of many guilty parties.

I didn't have a problem with him at first. I don't hate players just because they happen to be poor.

However, for the Aberdeen captain to jump at a loan move to Rangers in the first place was one thing. To then go there, play better than he ever had done at Pittodrie, and say in an interview it was because he was trying harder because the expectation at Rangers was to win every game, that did it for me.

He was meant to be captain, it was part of his job to ensure we had the same mentality that we should be winning every game. Say what you like about Ryan Jack as captain at the moment but I don't think you'd hear him make a comment like that and he's more of a winner than Foster ever was.

Sums up the attitude of the club at the time. He was one of many guilty parties.

Along with Zander Diamond, no problem with players being supporters of other clubs, even the gruesome twosome but keep it quiet while you are playing for another team.

I would actually say I despised Diamond more if possible, never shut up about his love for Celtic and was guilty of some absolute nightmares for us. I see he has found his level at Northampton.

Diamond, Foster and Mackie all seemed to be thick as mince on the pitch, constantly making rash desicions, but at least with Mackie you always felt he was giving it 100 per cent.

He was pretty much despised before he went to the ****. An absolute shitebag an disgrace of a captain. A poor player that was typical of the utter dross that played for us for so long. He's a reminder of some of the worst years at AFC, it's abhorrent that so many managers kept faith with him.

So there's a large degree of him being the physical embodiment of Aberdeen's mediocrity during his time at the club, which seems harsh. It's not his fault he was made captain, and there were far worse players at Pittodrie during that era.

I'll accept the point about his comments when at Rangers though. They seem ill-advised, although well-meaning. There was evidently a different mentality at Rangers than there was at Aberdeen at the time. The former was used to winning games, while the latter were rank rotten.

Claimed to be a Dons fan, then when he moved to Rangers on loan he said he was only pretending so the fans would like him. Said he tried harder when playing for Rangers. Said he wouldn't go back to Aberdeen if they got relegated. Came back and was made captain. Told his own fans to f**k off during a game. Scored an own goal at Ibrox and then said he'd always dreamed of scoring there.

There's a catalogue of reasons including all the ones mentioned above.

Although to my memory Craig brown made him captain after he came back not McGhee before he left.

I think it is fair to say he is he embodiment of the cuntish attitude in the Dons team at that time. Aluko, mulgrew, diamond, maguire etc all thought they were better than the club despite the fact they were finishing mid table and won f**k all with us. To then see the likes of aluko who was one of the laziest players I've seen with us busting a gut for rangers and then hull was a real kick in the teeth for me.

I suppose foster is unlucky that he did all that with rangers then was unfortunate enough to have to come back.

Still, f**k him.

Foster was just garbage for so so long but only played because he was pacy. His lack of attributes convinced managers that he was versatile, he was simply just as bad in each position. Toward the end of his time he developed a little and became a competent full back, only for him to f**k off in one of the most bizarre swap deals we've ever done. He did an Aluko by playing out of his skin for the Gerry Gers and saying he was loving it etc. Then when he has to return he gets made captain! Perhaps he's just a victim of circumstance, but he's a reminder of a time when players thought of playing for Aberdeen a chore. Gladly we seem to have moved past this time and have great players playing for the badge and I like to celebrate this fact by booing Richard Foster whenever I see him!

Archived