#DonsAwayRetroDay - 28 November - Aberdeen vs Ross County

Ooft, touched a nerve.

Any dons fans actually at the game?! Speak up if so...

I was, my thoughts on the game were on the previous page.

Don't come out with 'touched a nerve' or anything along the lines of you being a masterful troll. You're just deluded if you really think you dominated the whole game.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooft, touched a nerve.

Any dons fans actually at the game?! Speak up if so...

County were the best of two bad teams in the first half. Definitely looked hungrier. Your goal came from a Flood brainfart, and I don't remember Ward having much else to do. Also worth bearing in mind that AFC missed a sitter from Considine/Quinn just after you scored, and McGinn put one a foot past the post too.

Second half, McGinn and Hayes woke up, and you were lucky not to concede more than 3. County's RB must have been dizzy by full time.

Anyway, I quite like County, despite your nonsense. First Nairn County game I ever saw was a victory over Ross C, North of Scotland Cup I think.

How can you dominate for 88 minutes and lose the game?

Any Dons fan who wasn't there - don't delude yourself. Your team are rank rotten. Boo'd off at halftime with songs about McInnes' red and white army 8 (eight) minutes later. You don't have a clue.

Robertson for Boyd next week please.

Did you fall asleep at half time or something? County offered nothing in the second half and Aberdeen dominated.

First half was dreadful and also putting McGinn upfront didn't work, we was lucky not to be down by more goals. Quite surprised to see Flood get more criticism than others as the whole midfield was poor but then again we had 1 less in the midfield and Ross county took advantage of that

2nd half McGinn on the wing and his performance was excellent and we looked more like the old Aberdeen. Showed a lot of character and maybe got a lucky for 2nd goal but happier after a dreadful performance against Hamilton.

I'm genuinely not, that was light years ahead of last years 4-0 defeat to Aberdeen at pittodrie. We are in a better spot this year and can afford the odd bad result. I felt we actually played really well and were (IMO) the better team.

We switched off for five minutes, that was it. Aberdeen had four chances and scored three goals, including the second which was a complete fluke.

Just don't want to see my many good friends who are dons fans getting carried away by an (on paper) great result.

88 minutes is stretching it a bit.

BUT, We were absolutely shocking in the first half, as bad as I have seen us, back to the dark days. We were bereft of creativity and had no pattern at all. Our midfield was nowhere to be seen, when we did get the ball, there were no options and we relied on humping it to whoever was inside the opponents half for a flick on.

To sum up how bad it got Flood played a 30 yard back pass to Ward without looking and nearly got cut out.

But I'll take the points, keeps us up there and hpefully an improvement is round the corner.

Any Dons fan who wasn't there - don't delude yourself. Your team are rank rotten. Boo'd off at halftime with songs about McInnes' red and white army 8 (eight) minutes later. You don't have a clue.

Robertson for Boyd next week please.

:lol:

Fucking state of this hoor.

Like we give a shite how we beat your nonsense highland league outfit.

As good as Aberdeen were going forward today, they were awful at the back.

The first half was really poor, though Aberdeen still created a few decent chances; Rooney shot over bar, Rooney diving header, McGinn cutting in from the left and shooting wide.

Ross County were the better team in the first half but I don't think the Dons were as bad as they were made out to be. I think the real frustration was how we were defending, we were gifting County the ball and inviting pressure.

The second half, some of the attacking football was excellent and really it could have been more than three goals. Niall McGinn was unplayable, Hayes was driving forward, Rooney was getting into the right positions.

When them three all click together Aberdeen are a potent force.

However, at the back we continued to be a shambles. Ross County were playing very simple balls into the box and watching us shite ourselves.

McInnes needs to start looking at defenders in the January transfer window.

Given the amount of times that Aberdeen turned the County defence in the second half, they were worthy winners.

The second half, some of the attacking football was excellent and really it could have been more than three goals. Niall McGinn was unplayable, Hayes was driving forward, Rooney was getting into the right positions.

When them three all click together Aberdeen are a potent force.

Why did they all click?

IMO it was 100% down to Kenny McLean moving infield. I always liked him at St Mirren but his second half performance was much more mature than what I've seen before. A very astute player who linked everything together. In the first half there was nothing to link all the players together, because Flood and Shinnie had enough on their plates to deal with Irvine and Woods (who I thought had a very good first half FWIW).

McLean coming infield meant he was the unmarked player in midfield, which meant Boyce had to drop deeper.County lost one of the best features of their 4-4-2 system by having too much space between the forwards, while McLean brought the best out of McGinn and Hayes.

McInnes's post-match comments about thoughtful and intelligent play make me 100% convinced he wanted the team in the second half to have a go at isolating Scott Boyd. That and the increased tempo to match County's turned the game.

I have very few complaints about County's peformance, Boyd's wandering (and decline of his quickness) and the atrocious free-kicks aside. Fraser was repeatedly skinned, not for the first time, but he was overloaded. Murdoch protected him very well in the first half - that was a savvy selection - but he had to open up more when chasing the game.

I think the quality of the free-kicks was the biggest disappointment. County didn't get behind Aberdeen often because Aberdeen defended deep when they had to, but there were a handful of really good free-kick opportunities that a decent set-piece taker could have done something with. County just can't shoot from range and it's the big difference between them being a capable mid-table team and one that can challenge for fourth or above, IMO.

The proverbial game of two halves, a total Jekyll and Hyde performance from us. The first half was an abhorrent and unacceptable performance, chiefly aided by an uncharacteristic f**k up by Flood and Reynolds, abetted by horrendous tactics from the manager. How often do we need to play 4-4-2 before McInnes realises that it does nothing other than encourage us to hoof the ball and fails to bring our midfield into play, which is clearly the strongest area of our team. McGinn looked lost up front, totally wasted, while Kenny McLean, Graeme Shinnie and Jonny Hayes were moved about the midfield a number of times in the first half. Our passing was non-existent, yet in spite of all this, we could easily have gone in level but missed a superb chance through Considine just after the County goal. The team were deservedly booed off at half time.

The change back to 4-2-3-1, with McGinn restored to a wide area won us the game. He was unstoppable second half, where he and Hayes started to overload Marcus Fraser and expose Scott Boyd. Later in the game, McLean combined with McGinn to overload that left wing, it worked a treat. The play from McGinn for the equaliser and second goal was superb, creating both. Shinnie and Flood acquitted themselves well in the centre of the park in the second half, where the 2 of them and McLean began to outnumber and outwork Woods and Irvine. Perhaps a small thing but in the second half, we pressed the game far higher up the park, which induced errors from County. Amazing the difference in pressing between the first and second half. Superb save from Danny Ward at 2-1 from Boyce, a big moment in the game.

The frustrating thing is that even in our 8 game run at the start of the season, we witnessed a number of these 45 minute performances. Overall this season, I think we've only pieced a good 90 minutes together twice - Rijeka away and Hearts at Tynecastle. That's very frustrating, because when we do piece them together, we're a superb team.

For County, plenty positives from that game - Woods and Irvine were outstanding first half, Irvine in particular has come on leaps and bounds over the last 18 months. Curran and Boyce worked extremely hard in the first half, but Curran tired (natural after his concussion layoff) and the quality that came off the bench was inferior. Tony Dingwall was also very good early on, showing why he's rated in Dingwall, but again tired over the stretch.

Happy with the second half, which was our best half of football for a long time, but it would be nice if we could piece performances together more often.

Everything about this game has been said already by others. Well done to the Dons for turning it round, I was seriously worried at half time.

Not to back the County fans too much here but first half especially the atmosphere was rank rotten, I don't mean singing etc but the players got absolutely no support from the crowd.

I know we were shite but when a team is seriously devoid of confidence that atmosphere is the last thing they need. Also some guy two rows in front of me in the south greeted a pass from Shinnie back to Danny Ward (there was nothing else on) with a healthy "BOOOOOOOOO". It was really cringey stuff.

Archived