Cape Feare

Bart versus Australia

The city of New York versus Homer Simpson

Two cars in every garage and 3 eyes on every fish

Mr Plow

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, found some time so the countdown starts here. Due to the the way the votes went to make it easy I'll be doing a top 18. So starting us off...

#18 - Homie the Clown (15 points)
250px-Homie_the_clown.jpg
IMDB Rating: 7.7/10
The 15th episode of Series 6 revolves around Homer discovering that his family have been holding him back from living one of his lifelong dreams - becoming a clown. Luckily for Homer, Krusty has blown all of his money on gambling and various other costly ventures such as condor egg omelettes and lighting his cigars with $100 bills. So Krusty must recoup some cash by training up people as clowns in his clown colleges, and after seeing the adverts starts to see clowns everywhere (providing one of the highlights of the episode when his colleagues appear before him as clowns, when in reality they are burning to death due to Homer's negligence) he decides that he must go to clown college. Afterwards, Homer is routinely mistaken for Krusty and after receiving preferential treatment from people, he decides to go full on with the act. Unfortunately for him, Krusty has a big debt to the mob to be paid and after Homer assures them that he is Krusty, the don of the family gives Homer a final chance to pay off the debt - perform a circus trick where he rides a tiny bicycle through a loop-de-loop (the one trick that Homer could never do).
Highlights:
Ned Flanders being saved not once, but twice from assassination due to having a bible next to his heart and wearing an ""extra large piece of the true cross" that day.
Krusty blowing his last wads of cash against the Harlem Globetrotters due to thinking they were due a loss.
The entire end sequence with Krusty and Homer riding through the loop together provides many highlights.
Quotes:
Plastic Surgeon: Krusty, your plastic surgery is complete. Now, when I remove the bandages, don't be alarmed at the total stranger staring back at you.

Krusty the Clown: [looks at the mirror] AAAAAAAAHHH! I LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME, YOU MORON!

Plastic Surgeon: Oh, nonsense, Krusty. You look at least 10 years younger. Plus I did your breasts.

Krusty the Clown: Does anybody hear me complaining about the breasts?

Homer: But wait. You can't kill me for being Krusty. I'm not him. I'm Homer Simpson.

Fat Tony: The same Homer Simpson who crashed his car through the wall of our club?

Homer: Uh... actually my name is Barney. Yeah, Barney Gumble.

Legs: The same Barney Gumble who keeps taking pictures of my sister?

Homer: Uh... actually my real name is uh... think Krusty, think... Joe Valachi!

Louie: The same Joe Valachi who squealed to the Senate Committee about organized crime?

Homer: Benedict Arnold!

Legs: The same Benedict Arnold who plotted to surrender West Point to the hated British?

Homer: D'oh!

[hallucinates that the other Simpsons are clowns]

Homer: Marge?

Marge Simpson: Yes, Homie?

[starts humming the "Barnum and Bailey Circus" theme]

Homer: [no longer from his viewpoint] That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

[leaves]

Bart Simpson: I don't think any of us expected him to say tha

If that's #18 then were in for quite a ride!! Best bit if that episode is the Godfather theme playing on the wine glasses during the loop-the-loop sequence and the "you've made this old Italian stereotype very happy" line.

#17 - The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show (16 points)

is_71.jpg

IMDB Rating: 7.5/10

Number 17 on the list also involves Krusty the Clown. This time his shows ratings have dropped and the studio decide that to get things back on track they'll bring a new character into the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon - Poochie, a hip, young dog with an attitude. Homer auditions and (after being rejected at first and producing some great seethe) is cast as Poochie. However, the opening episode with Poochie is a disaster with almost 100% of the audience wondering what on earth has gone on and what has happened to their favourite cartoon. The backlash means that the studio decide to kill off Poochie, which leaves Homer scrambling to find a way to keep his character alive. He makes a passionate speech to the producers and after wiping away the tears announce that Poochie will be kept alive, and so they film a new scene with Poochie making a similar plea to the public!

When it is screened however, Homer's voice has been dubbed over and Poochie is killed off without a second thought.

Highlights:

When Homer talks about cartoons having to bring in new, young characters due to dips in ratings as the writers aren't good enough, just before their new housemate Roy walks in and says "Hey Mr S". "Yeah hi Roy".

Poochie's first appearance, where there is none of the usual itchy and scrathcy violence but instead messages to the kids about recycling. TO THE EXTREME.

Quotes:

Doug: In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone, or something? Ha ha, boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Homer: I'll field that one. Let me ask *you* a question. Why would a grown man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

[embarrassed pause]

Doug: I withdraw my question.

[starts eating a candy bar]

Focus Group Guy: All right, thanks for participating in our focus group, kids. Today, we're gonna show you some Itchy & Scratchy cartoons.

[the kids cheer]

Nelson Muntz: Cool!

Focus Group Guy: We want you to tell us what you think. And be honest because no one from the show is spying on you.

[a man behind the mirror sneezes making the mirror shake]

Lisa Simpson: Why is that mirror sneezing?

Focus Group Guy: Look, it's just an old creaky mirror, you know. Sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing or coughing or talking softly.

Lisa Simpson: [suspiciously] Hmm.

Focus Group Guy: [holds his thumb up to the mirror] Now, you each have a knob in front of you. When you like what you see, turn the knob to the right. When you don't like what you see, turn it left.

Ralph Wiggum: [with his knob in his mouth] My knob tastes funny.

Focus Group Guy: [taking the knob out of Ralph's mouth] Please refrain from tasting the knob.

Animator: Excuse me, but "proactive" and "paradigm"? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important?

[backpedaling]

Animator: Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that.

[pause]

Animator: I'm fired, aren't I?

Krusty's Accountant: Let me get this straight. You took all the money you made franchising your name and bet it *against* the Harlem Globetrotters?

Krusty the Clown: [miserable] Oh, I thought the Generals were due!

[watches the game on TV]

Krusty the Clown: He's spinning the ball on his finger! Just take it! Take it!

[the Globetrotters score]

Krusty the Clown: That game was fixed! They were using a freakin' ladder, for God's sake!

#16 - Homer the Great (19 points)

Homerthegreat.png

IMDB Rating: 8/10

Number 16 in our list follows Homer as he becomes a member of The Stonecutters, a piss take of secret societies like The Masons. After noticing Lenny and Carl getting some tasty benefits for an unknown reason, Homer follows them to a secret meeting of The Stonecutters and discovers the many benefits that come with membership. After initially being rejected, the group discover that Homer has a birthmark in the shape of the secret sign of The Stonecutters and realise that he is the chosen one. He leads the group, but under his leadership the members begin to feel that they'd be better off without their "chosen one"...

Highlights:

The stone of shame.

The 'No Homers Club' both past and present.

Grampa revealing that as well as being a stonecutter, he is also a mason, a communist and the president of the gay and lesbian alliance.

Homer's initiation into The Stonecutters (with paddles).

Quotes:

Marge: Oh, Homer, don't start stalking people again. It's so illegal. Remember when you were stalking Charles Karault because you thought he dug up your garden?

Homer: Well, something did.

Marge: I don't want you stalking people tonight.

Homer: All right, fine. I'll be right back. I'm just going outside... to... stalk... Lenny and Carl... D'oh!

Homer: I'd give anything to get into the Stonecutters.

Lisa: What do they do there, Dad?

Grampa: I'm a member -

Homer: What do they do? What *don't* they do?

[laughs]

Homer: Oh, they do so many things they never stop. Oh, the things they do there, my stars.

Lisa: You don't know what they do there, do you?

Homer: Not as such, no.

#15 - Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk (21 points)

d56eac08cfd53e1efeee6d1355957fff.512x384

IMDB Rating: 7.7/10

Number 15 was my number 1. Any episode that revolves around Charles Montgomery "Monty" Burns will inevitably be filled with nuggets of comedy gold, but this one is one of the best. Burns decides to sell the powerplant to some Germans after they offer a ridiculously large fee. However, once the Germans take control and start to actually take care of the plant they find that everyone has a job and does it well - except Homer. For anyone interested in business this episode provides some of the funniest moments in Simpsons history, a true classic.

Highlights:

Homer's phone conversation with his accountant.

When Burns grudgingly accepts the $1 million offer from the Germans.

Burns' trip into Moe's for an authentic experience of drinking with peasants.

When Burns goes to buy the plant back, for half what he paid, and his sarcastic fear of the Germans.

Quotes:

Horst: Homer, could we have a word with you?

Homer: [Nervous] No.

Horst: I must have phrased that bad. My English is, how you say, inelegant. I meant to say, may we have a brief, friendly chat?

Homer: Noooo!

Horst: Once again I have failed.

Horst: [Opens "German to English" dictionary]

Horst: We request the pleasure of your company for a free exchange of ideas.

Homer: NOOOOO!

[Runs away screaming]

Horst: Attention workers, we have completed our evaluation of the plant. We regret to announce the following lay-offs, which I will read in alphabetical order:

[pause]

Horst: Simpson, Homer.

[pause]

Horst: That is all.

This was my number 2. An incredibly funny piece of television. It's actually astonishing how great the humour is in this and how it's maintained for the whole episode. Actual genius and as good as any art in any other format.

Honest_Man #1 has done a fantastic synopsis, so I shall add some of my own highlights;

Horst: We plan to have some frank discussions with your safety inspector.
Homer: He he, yeah. Sock it to him, Horst!
Lenny: Hey Homer, aren't you the safety inspector?
Homer: (looks at his badge) D'oh!

Hans: We Germans are not a warlike people.

Lenny's plastic surgery ("This is the worst day of my life!").

And of course who can forget this classic scene;

Homer's face when he's skipping gets me every time :lol:

Also; "Wow! Chocolate; half price!" :lol::lol:

If you don't laugh at the stone of shame followed by the even bigger stone of triumph you're already dead.

I'm laughing typing this without seeing it.

If I was convincing someone the Simpsons were great, I'd show them that episode and most importantly that bit

Archived