• 1 month later...

"Eight Gates" is the latest in a growing canon of posthumous Jason Molina releases. Secretly Canadian's second Molina release of 2020 after January's excellent "Live At La Chapelle." This one is all the  more exciting because it's all previously unreleased tracks. Apparently the last recordings he made in a studio setting in late 2009. Some of its nine tracks are more complete than others. "Old Worry" & "She Say's" are no more than fragments that hint on what this album might have been. Of the more fully realised tracks the opening "Whisper Away" is stunning. The swirling strings and ponderous bass of "Be Told The Truth" is one of several tracks that sound like they could have been recorded at the same time as "The Lioness" some ten years earlier. His voice sounds, in the main, pretty strong considering the pounding he was giving it. The closing "The Crossroad & The Emptiness"  is another fragment that opens with some fairly strained sounding late night studio chat and just drifts by beautifully in a ghostly haze. I read somewhere that this record was a like an old friend you hadn't seen for a while popping in for a chat. I'd go along with that. "Eight Gates" exceeds my expectations for it. 8.5/10. Favourite tracks - "Whisper Away", "The Missions End", "Thistle Blue" & "The Crossroad & The Emptiness". 

• 2 months later...

Haven’t listened to this, but I certainly shall be doing so.  Includes interviews with the musicians involved.

http://www.inlovingrecollection.com/2020/10/07/episode-12-what-comes-after-the-blues-by-magnolia-electric-co/?fbclid=IwAR1f087nbZpTPIXfc0s_He3huMKjeDqMw5Rvl7n-_BrbIvM4haZVo9760hk

• 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

His voice slays me.   Lonesome as the world’s first ghost indeed.

Edit: always thought that song could be by The Band.

Edited by Savage Henry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only just ventured into the Music forum and spotted this thread. Always delighted to see any appreciation of the works of Molina. Based on "VU Anxiety" I'm really looking forward to hearing the upcoming live album.

Never saw him live but a pal did. 'The Lioness' is my favourite of his records, I reckon.

• 1 month later...

What an exciting day! The postie delivered the new Songs Ohia double LP "Live: Vanquishers". This is a full band experience unlike the last live release "Live At La Chapelle" which was a solo outing. This is more like "Mi Sei Apparso..."which is unsurprising as they are recorded 2 weeks apart. The twin guitar work of Molina and Dan Sullivan is truly tingly. "Being In Love" sounds fantastic here but doesn't quite hit the heights of the "Mi Sei...." version. I'm nit picking though. This is a tremendous document of a tight as f**k live proposition. There are several highlights including "Nobody Tries That Hard Anymore", "Tigress" and "Come Back To Your Man", but I must make special mention of "The Black Crow" which tears the roof off. Unless  you are signed up to the Secretly Canadian albums club of which this is the curtain raiser, you'll need to do the same as me and get on to either Ebay or Discogs pretty damn sharpish. I was £45 but that strikes me as an absolute bargain. As live albums go, this is a beauty. 9/10

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

A younger guy at work is always asking me about music and I told him about Jason. Got me later searching and found this, a clip from a podcast. Steve Albini is famous for being very critical so it is something that he is so positive here.