Motherwell vs Inverness 7/11/15 3pm

Is it just me who thinks that Grimshaw makes a ton of unforced errors, even taking into account his age/experience? All for bringing on young players but he seems to be extremely raw given that he's only a year younger than Kieran Kennedy and they both had the same level of first team experience (ie, none) when they came to us.

His passing isn't the best Swello but he at least always wants the ball even if his distribution isn't brilliant. I think McGhee will improve him but we don't have many alternatives in his position unfortunately.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His passing isn't the best Swello but he at least always wants the ball even if his distribution isn't brilliant. I think McGhee will improve him but we don't have many alternatives in his position unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong - he's got something about him and I don't want to see him dropped but he does seem like a reserve player that isn't quite ready yet. As you say, central midfield is the weakest area of our squad and if we can get one more player in January, I'd hope it was another midfielder..

To be fair to him thought Grimshaw was one of if not our best player at Pittodrie a few weeks ago sitting in front of the back four. However he did have a bit of a mare last week and hasn't exactly stood out otherwise so far.

To be honest, the likes of Grimshaw and Taylor have been disappointing and I've yet to see what either add to the team that the likes of Leitch/Thomas/Cadden couldn't have had they been given the same amount of game time. I'm all for bringing in loan players if their of the quality to improve the team but these two seem like squad fillers at best(being generous to Taylor there).

To be fair to him thought Grimshaw was one of if not our best player at Pittodrie a few weeks ago sitting in front of the back four. However he did have a bit of a mare last week and hasn't exactly stood out otherwise so far.

To be honest, the likes of Grimshaw and Taylor have been disappointing and I've yet to see what either add to the team that the likes of Leitch/Thomas/Cadden couldn't have had they been given the same amount of game time. I'm all for bringing in loan players if their of the quality to improve the team but these two seem like squad fillers at best(being generous to Taylor there).

I think that's the key point - if we are going to develop raw players, they should at least be ours. I guess if by taking a player, you get the chance for other Man U U21's in the future, it might well be something worth doing - but I doubt that's the case here..

I think Grimshaw does offer something in terms of his off the ball work that we don't readily have, he seems a more traditional ball winning defensive midfielder than someone like Leitch or even Lasley. It's interesting to hear Casagolda say that he was one of our best players in that sort of role at Pittodrie. In truth I've only seen him a handful of times and one of those was at right back against Thistle so I'm hardly in a position to give much by way of an informed assessment, especially as most of the games I've seen him were under Baraclough when we were floundering around trying to find a system that worked (+Craigan's first game vs Thistle).

It's definitely a fair question as to whether either Grimshaw or Taylor offer much more than Leitch or Cadden though. I notice Dom Thomas seems to have found himself back in the u20s over the past couple of weeks as well.

Dom Thomas has been playing for the under 20s recently as they feel he needs to improve on his final ball/end product in order to become a regular fixture in the first team. Hopefully he can do that and we can see the player we potentially think he can be.

Dom Thomas has been playing for the under 20s recently as they feel he needs to improve on his final ball/end product in order to become a regular fixture in the first team. Hopefully he can do that and we can see the player we potentially think he can be.

Absolutely. It makes sense. If he can add that to his game along with the obvious natural talent he already has then he has the potential to be a really special player. It just stuck out a bit seeing as it'd been a while since he'd been involved with the u20s.

To be honest, the likes of Grimshaw and Taylor have been disappointing and I've yet to see what either add to the team that the likes of Leitch/Thomas/Cadden couldn't have had they been given the same amount of game time.

Taylor, I agree about. However, Cadden is completely untested at this level so we simply don't know what he can and cannot do. Leitch has had umpteen games (not recently granted) to prove himself and has not done so. Thomas is a different type of player altogether - I would not be confident at all if he was played in a defensive role in front of the defence. In terms of a central defensive role the straight choice is between Lasley and Grimshaw and it would be unfair to risk the former just now.

Despite rumours to the contrary, Inverness have been asked by the SFA not pick David Raven and I suspect they'll respect that request. A hard physical game is in prospect.

Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but I think a lot of Motherwell supporters are expecting more from ICT than we are capable of delivering at the moment. With the exception of 10 minutes at either end of the Cup games against County, we've looked slow and ponderous for weeks, and have managed about 5 shots on target in our last three league games combined. If Motherwell take the game to us from the start and score first, they will almost certainly win, and that's what I expect to happen. Apparently the supporters' bus from Inverness has been cancelled due to lack of uptake, so there will probably be about 20 of us in the away section.

The injuries and other strange unexplained absences are obviously having a significant impact on our attacking options, but I also wonder what the morale of the players is like at the moment. With Raven likely out tomorrow, there will be even less leadership on the park, and there's been precious little of that recently: Tansey has been a shadow of the player he was last season and Meekings has looked less decisive with Devine alongside him; Christie has been the most positive influence, but at times has looked like he's trying to take too much on and cover too much ground, and he must be getting increasingly frustrated with having to carry the creative responsibilities to such an extent. Rumours apparently abound in Inverness that players are disillusioned with Hughes' apparent interest in the Utd job; understandable, perhaps, if true, but with lack of available players and the management's apparent determination to keep faith in the system that served us well last season despite the changes in personnel, the last thing we need is any lack of motivation or belief among the players.

BBC reporting that Storey will have a fitness test before the game tomorrow which could be a boost. However it also says that Warren is having a late fitness test which, given the players recent comments, seems unlikely as he says he is a good few weeks off a first team return.

BBC reporting that Storey will have a fitness test before the game tomorrow which could be a boost. However it also says that Warren is having a late fitness test which, given the players recent comments, seems unlikely as he says he is a good few weeks off a first team return.

Typical pre match mind games. It wouldn't surprise me if Warren started tomorrow. I think most, though not all, Well fans are expecting a typical hard fought game.

Despite rumours to the contrary, Inverness have been asked by the SFA not pick David Raven and I suspect they'll respect that request.

Have been asked not to pick him? They should tell the SFA to f**k off. He's either suspended or he isn't.

Anyway, onto the game itself. I've got a sneaky feeling this will be game McGhee's Motherwell properly kicks into gear.

Motherwell 3-0 Inverness CT

(Moult, Ainsworth, McDonald)

We must be starting something like this

--------------------------FonWilliams------------------

---Horner----Meekings------Devine-----Tremarco---

---------------Tansey----------Polowrth-----------------

-----Vincent---------Christie--------Vigurs---------------

-------------------------Storey----------------------------

Big plus that Storey can start. Looking for some indication from Vigurs that he can do something, he's been pretty insipid so far this season.

Archived