Motherwell vs Inverness 7/11/15 3pm

Got exactly what we deserved today, nothing, as we were garbage throughout. The penalty decision looked harsh but you can't defend like we did today and expect to take anything, especially when you are as toothless as we are up the other end.

That was a big wake up call to those who thought we'd turned the corner as we most certainly haven't, we are a rank rotten side who are in serious danger of being relegated.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was just one of those games there was very little between the teams and on another day if Thompson doesn't fanny about with the penalty retake and Vigurs doesn't score his wonder goal we easily could have got something.

This was the first game I've looked up the way in the table pre match and I won't be making that mistake again. Disappointing stuff

I disagree, a harsh penalty and a fortunate deflected goal there was hardly a lot between the sides first half. Moult missed a terrific chance with his head and Grimshaw was unlucky to see his terrific effort come back out off he bar.

Vigurs goal, which was absolutely stunning, killed the game off but I thought we were alright the 2nd half. Scored a good goal and missed a few decent chances to get there 2nd which would have made it game on.

Lots to improve upon of course but it was a fairly even game in my book. Inverness played well though and given their injury list I don't begrudge them their win, pressed us all over the park and played some nice stuff that was easy on the eye.

Bit of a reality check for players and fans alike, still lots of work to be done but I still think we're heading in the right direction.

I suppose I was one of the ones getting carried away. I do feel we have enough to stay up.

Stephen McManus' performance today though? Absolutely abysmal. Joe Chalmers' wasn't much better either.

Some strike from Vigurs to be fair. I was always a fan of his.

Weird game, don't begrudge ICT the win as at times we looked utterly shambolic, they looked the better side in the opening stages, flooded the midfield and in truth we really didn't look like we knew how to get a grip of the game. Having said that when we got the ball down and moved it about we looked half decent, scored a good goal and hit the bar. I'd agree there wasn't actually that much between the two teams.

Penalty was perhaps harsh but why McManus had his hand up like that I've no idea. The retake was a complete farce though. 2nd goal was off the back of a completely half hearted challenge on the edge of the box and as for Vigurs' goal...'sake.

Here's the ICT goals - https://twitter.com/rossp_ict/status/663068677164638208

I reckon the ref has ordered the retake after the Motherwell player who was encroaching has headed it out. If he wasn't involved in the post penalty save, he would've let play continue.

#DareToVigurs btw

I reckon the ref has ordered the retake after the Motherwell player who was encroaching has headed it out. If he wasn't involved in the post penalty save, he would've let play continue.

I'm not so sure. If you watch it back he blows as soon as Ripley makes the save not when Law heads it clear. By rights, if he's going to pull it back he should have done so before he's even taken the kick.

I'm not so sure. If you watch it back he blows as soon as Ripley makes the save not when Law heads it clear. By rights, if he's going to pull it back he should have done so before he's even taken the kick.

Referees will never blow for encroachment before the kick is taken. Here's the rules for what happens with encroachment - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_14_the_penalty_kick_en_47369.pdf

Chances are that if Tansey scored the first attempt then he would've had to retake because of the ICT player encroaching.

#DareToVigurs btw

That is some world-class encroaching; they're nearly at the six yard box ffs.

The penalty incident is another incident which makes me want there to be a post match report from the referee accessible to the fans. There should be a way where they can lay it out on paper as to why they awarded decisions during the match.

Ref was spot on (see my link above). Retake as opposition player encroaching when pen missed, with it also being a retake if he scored due to ICT player encroaching.

#DareToVigurs btw

So if the ICT player gets there first is it still a retake? Or if it's missed is it a retake due the the encroachment of the ICT player?

I wasn't to bothered by the decision at the time. It was not less than Inverness deserved at that point. Even given that I felt it was a soft award (don't know why McManus had his hand up there in the first place). I though the shout 5 minutes or so before was one we got away with and Thomson to the opportunity to remedy that call.

I thought we were alright today. Probably better than last week in our win at Rugby park and the scoreline is probably a little harsh on us. ICT started very brightly and deserved the lead, but I thought we were getting on top when the defected effort wrong footed Ripley. From that point its a long way back, although Grimshaw was unlucky not to kickstart a recovery straight after when he saw his shot come back of the underside of the bar.

Vigurs wonderstrike pretty much seals the points and is one of those goals you can only sit back and appluad. We looked like we might still make a game of it for a while but Hughes move to shore up the defence made it difficult to covert our possesion into any real chances.

Ref was spot on (see my link above). Retake as opposition player encroaching when pen missed, with it also being a retake if he scored due to ICT player encroaching.

So what happens if the taker had blazed it over?

So what happens if the taker had blazed it over?

The ref is within his rights to order a retake in that situation if opposition is encroaching. Likewise if Tansey scored but one of the ICT players encroached.

Hardly any refs follow the encroachment rule to the letter though as it's such a hassle/controversy to retake. Like I said earlier though, if it wasn't as blatant and the Well player hadn't cleared it I reckon he'd have played on.

Referees will never blow for encroachment before the kick is taken. Here's the rules for what happens with encroachment - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_14_the_penalty_kick_en_47369.pdf

Chances are that if Tansey scored the first attempt then he would've had to retake because of the ICT player encroaching.

Fair play. Happy to stand corrected there. Pain in the arse though as it was a cracking save.

Nothing much else to add to what is already posted really. Thought Motherwell were on the back foot for the opening spells and had no penetration in the final third when breaking forward. Moult put in a decent shift for us but wish he was better in the air. We put plenty of crosses into the box, but the excellent centre backs (Meekings and Devine?) coped really easy. Meekings for me reads the game really well - he intercepted a number of chances for us and made the difference for ICT who benefited on the counter attack.

Well deserved win for Caly Thistle.

Meekings for me reads the game really well - he intercepted a number of chances for us and made the difference for ICT who benefited on the counter attack.

For a couple of season Meekings has looked like he has the potential to be a really first-rate centre-half - I was quite surprised we didn't see interest from, say, English Championship-level clubs over the summer. He was out injured for a few games at the start of this season, though, and since then has looked far less sure of himself playing with Devine that he normally does alongside Gary Warren. I thought he was almost back to best today though.

One of the big differences for us today was the fact that we managed to turn decent early possession into a goal, regardless of whether we were fortunate to get the retake. In the League Cup QF against County, we looked fluent and lively for about 15 minutes and then ceded control completely once we went behind. We got lucky with the deflection for our second today, and Vigurs' goal was just an outrageous piece of skill from a player who otherwise probably contributed less than anyone else in an ICT shirt. Motherwell definitely had the better of most of the remainder of the game, but we coped well on the whole and probably deserved the win.

A real positive from an ICT perspective was the performance of Liam Polworth, a home-grown player who, after a few performances of varying quality since he came into the team, was probably our best player today. The apparent injuries to Christie and Storey are obviously the big concerns: Christie was quiet by his own standards today, but he's still our best player by a ridiculous distance, and I want to see as much as I can of him before Celtic finally consume him. Storey, meanwhile, gives us our one real source of pace up front, and the thought of Dani Lopez coming in for him doesn't inspire confidence: he had a decent game playing in a deeper role when he came on today, but every time I see him chasing a loose ball with a defender, I'm reminded of the Father Ted wheelchair football episode.

It's our biannual bitchslapping at Firhill in a fortnight, and Celtic after that, so just as well we got three points on the board today. Still think it'll be a difficult season, but at least we're further away from United and not looking like getting cut off at the bottom yet.

Archived