Motherwell vs Inverness 7/11/15 3pm

I keep hearing McGhee saying he wants to tinker things give people a chance etc which is fine for the forwards as we have at least 4 that can do a job but I hope he doesn't change the defence or midfield too much if it's gonna disrupt the team. Basically I'm scared he may start Jake Taylor.

A win puts us above Inverness and should see us move closer to the likes of accies up the table a bit so we should be going baws out for the win here.

2-1 Motherwell

Edit to add can one of the mods change the date to November in this topic since I can't work out how to change it on my mobile

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all this "I'm experimenting " chat from mcghee is very clever. On one hand it takes the pressure off because if we lose, the fans are thinking well it's okay we haven't got a clear system or top xi yet, but

on the other hand it keeps the players on their toes as they must be going in to the games thinking I've still got a chance to show what I can do or I still have to prove what I can do.

I keep hearing McGhee saying he wants to tinker things give people a chance etc which is fine for the forwards as we have at least 4 that can do a job but I hope he doesn't change the defence or midfield too much if it's gonna disrupt the team. Basically I'm scared he may start Jake Taylor.

I don't think we have a settled first pick midfield - defence maybe yes. No problem in starting Taylor if Mark McGhee wants to assess him.

ICT will be a tough game and they'll be hurting badly after failing to beat Dundee. Presumably Raven will not be available for selection?

Really looking forward to this game despite mild concern at reading articles with folk like Moult coming out in the press saying stuff like "we can be a force to be reckoned with". Let's not get ahead of ourselves there eh?

Having said that, I get that they're only answering questions put to them and it'd be fairly dumb of them to answer in the negative. Regardless it's encouraging to hear as many of the players sounding like they're on board with McGhee's approach and showing a willingness to buy into it. I suppose one of the concerns when he got the job was whether they players would be into it or chuck the toys out the pram as seems to have happened with the Aberdeen players when he took over there. It's been good to hear players saying that they trust the manager and how he's trying to get them to play (and genuinely seem to mean it).

Hearing that there's been a fair bit of focus on shape and shadow play suggests that it's not taken McGhee long to see what one of the main problems with the team has been and the fact that we're seeing improvements in performance from players who had barely kicked a ball all season for whatever reason (Law, Johnson etc) suggests that even in such a short period of time McGhee's coaching seems to be having a positive effect (McGhee and the new conditioning lad aside it's essentially the same backroom staff after all).

Not to draw things back to Baraclough but I think I've seen more photos and footage of McGhee with the players on the pitch and Dalziel Park in the space of a few weeks than I ever saw of his predecessor in 9 months.

Hopeful of a win and maybe even a couple of goals. Goalie, back 4 pick themselves along Pearson and Grimshaw you'd expect. After that, it's a bit more up in the air. Ainsworth and Johnson and two strikers or a third midfielder and 3 up top. Depending on how things are going I wonder if we might see Laing get a run out at centre half and Taylor come on for 20-25 mins, I don't see either of them starting though.

I don't think we have a settled first pick midfield - defence maybe yes. No problem in starting Taylor if Mark McGhee wants to assess him.

ICT will be a tough game and they'll be hurting badly after failing to beat Dundee. Presumably Raven will not be available for selection?

Nope.

Really looking forward to this game despite mild concern at reading articles with folk like Moult coming out in the press saying stuff like "we can be a force to be reckoned with". Let's not get ahead of ourselves there eh?

Having said that, I get that they're only answering questions put to them and it'd be fairly dumb of them to answer in the negative. Regardless it's encouraging to hear as many of the players sounding like they're on board with McGhee's approach and showing a willingness to buy into it. I suppose one of the concerns when he got the job was whether they players would be into it or chuck the toys out the pram as seems to have happened with the Aberdeen players when he took over there. It's been good to hear players saying that they trust the manager and how he's trying to get them to play (and genuinely seem to mean it).

Hearing that there's been a fair bit of focus on shape and shadow play suggests that it's not taken McGhee long to see what one of the main problems with the team has been and the fact that we're seeing improvements in performance from players who had barely kicked a ball all season for whatever reason (Law, Johnson etc) suggests that even in such a short period of time McGhee's coaching seems to be having a positive effect (McGhee and the new conditioning lad aside it's essentially the same backroom staff after all).

Not to draw things back to Baraclough but I think I've seen more photos and footage of McGhee with the players on the pitch and Dalziel Park in the space of a few weeks than I ever saw of his predecessor in 9 months.

Hopeful of a win and maybe even a couple of goals. Goalie, back 4 pick themselves along Pearson and Grimshaw you'd expect. After that, it's a bit more up in the air. Ainsworth and Johnson and two strikers or a third midfielder and 3 up top. Depending on how things are going I wonder if we might see Laing get a run out at centre half and Taylor come on for 20-25 mins, I don't see either of them starting though.

I assume that given there are senior people in the shape of Hammell, Lasley, Craigan and Clarkson who were in place last time McGhee was here, the rest of the squad will have been in the picture of what to expect - and I assume that these guys will rate McGhee on a different level than Barraclough and so are more likely to buy into things. Last time, McGhee had afternoon training sessions and had them in on Sundays, which the 'Well players at the time bought into and the Aberdeen players subsequently didn't, which interested me at the time. Last time, McGhee was demonstrably good at improving individual players and it is this aspect that I am keen to see this time as I think that although Barraclough left a decent squad, there is a lot of scope for improvement across the board and it would be nice to think that Law's performances of late are an early sign of this.

Lastly - McGhee has a good conceit of himself (to say the least) and I can't imagine him being subordinate to anyone in our dressing room individually or collectively.

I assume that given there are senior people in the shape of Hammell, Lasley, Craigan and Clarkson who were in place last time McGhee was here, the rest of the squad will have been in the picture of what to expect - and I assume that these guys will rate McGhee on a different level than Barraclough and so are more likely to buy into things. Last time, McGhee had afternoon training sessions and had them in on Sundays, which the 'Well players at the time bought into and the Aberdeen players subsequently didn't, which interested me at the time. Last time, McGhee was demonstrably good at improving individual players and it is this aspect that I am keen to see this time as I think that although Barraclough left a decent squad, there is a lot of scope for improvement across the board and it would be nice to think that Law's performances of late are an early sign of this.

Lastly - McGhee has a good conceit of himself (to say the least) and I can't imagine him being subordinate to anyone in our dressing room individually or collectively.

I wouldn't imagine he'll be pandering to folk's egos, what with him having a bigger ego than the whole squad combined.

Last time, McGhee was demonstrably good at improving individual players and it is this aspect that I am keen to see this time as I think that although Barraclough left a decent squad, there is a lot of scope for improvement across the board and it would be nice to think that Law's performances of late are an early sign of this.

This is actually what interests me as well. From reading Moult's interview it sounds like they've been doing a lot of work on shape, transition and general team work. As you say Baraclough's actually left a fairly decent squad for this league but while he may have been a perfectly fine administrator I don't think he was a particularly good coach and that was the core problem as far as I could see, though I concede I have no evidence of that beyond what we saw on the park. He was putting a team out who didn't really know what they were supposed to be doing.

Whilst recognising that we're still sat in 10th position nevertheless I think it's interesting that the improvement that we've seen so far isn't your typical new manager "bounce" where players just try a bit harder and play above themselves for a bit, rather the improvement seems to be stemming from the fact that we're looking a bit better organised and functioning a bit better as a team. Players are looking like they have a better grasp of their roles and that is translating into better individual performances.

We'll see how it goes on Saturday I suppose but the very fact that on a basic level we're hearing comments along the lines of us being "organised" is encouraging.

Watched McGhee's pre-match presser on the youtube channel and was struck again that he talks about "4 strikers" and picking "2 from 4" - as he has done since he's been here. I think it's fair to say that Clarkson isn't very high up the pecking order for the game on Saturday (McGhee had to be prompted to mention him by a hack and then gave an unconvincing answer where he grouped him with Scott McDonald (who started on Saturday)...Always a weird signing and wouldn't be surprised to see him out on loan in Jan...

Yeah he sounded pretty definitive about the 4 strikers. When he arrived he was name checking Clarkson and he started off talking about the 5 strikers and how it wasn't too many as he was hoping to have 2 on the park, it's really notable that seems to consider he's working with 4 now.

The other one I was wondering about was Twardzik, saw that Samson was playing for the u20s and the week before that Brett Long got a run out so he's not even getting a game at that level. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Ripley extending his loan in January and Twardzik moving on since it seems he's pretty much been erased from existence.

Absolutely no idea who is or isn't fit for us. The silence from ICT is deafening. I don't know why they don't keep us updated on the players who are out. Not every ICT fan lives in an area where they can get the Inverness Courier which is the best source of information about the club rather than the club itself. Sounds like Draper will miss out and Warren doesn't seem to think he is up to starting a game yet. I think we've appealed the red card given to Raven last week so I guess he is available until that is heard (I've no idea truth be told). Mutumbo has apparently done a runner and no one has seen Sho Silva since he was punched by that Hearts lad on his debut.

Complete guess as to how we might line up:

Fon Williams

Raven Devine Meekings Tremarco

Tansey Polworth

Vincent Christie Vigurs

Williams

I remember mentioning on the opening game of the season thread how ICT look on paper much weaker upfront I mean is Williams even a striker? However as a team you've still scored more than us so I guess it doesn't count for much.

Is Lasley back for us? I'd be tempted to stick with Grimshaw and Pearo even if he is.

We got Miles Storey in and he looks pretty good but he was injured the other week. No idea if he might be back or not. If he is it will be a massive boost. He has been the only thing to get excited about this season. Only on loan until January though. If we lost him and Christie and January - ouch!

EDIT: Williams isn't a striker but he did okay against Dundee. He's pretty nippy and good with the ball at his feet so he was able to create a few openings but he lacked support. The team is struggling creatively just now and with no one available to put away the few chances we do create we don't score many as a result.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Should be an interesting one. With the two sides level on points, encouraging signs in the last two games, Inverness' extensive injury list and Kilmarnock away to in-form St Johnstone, we could quite conceivably be sitting in 8th by Saturday evening - nosebleed territory. As for the line up, I'd go with:

----------------------Ripley----------------------

Law-----Kennedy-----McManus-----Chalmers

Ainsworth---Grimshaw---Pearson---Johnson

--------------McDonald-----Moult--------------

Josh Law has looked like a new player in the last two games and it's great to see him finally coming into form. Moult coming off the bench last week to score the winner should be enough to earn a starting place.

Inverness seem to be in a bit of a rut at the moment and I'm hopeful we can carry on the momentum from the last two games to take the three points in this one. 2-1 home win.

I remember mentioning on the opening game of the season thread how ICT look on paper much weaker upfront I mean is Williams even a striker? However as a team you've still scored more than us so I guess it doesn't count for much.

Is Lasley back for us? I'd be tempted to stick with Grimshaw and Pearo even if he is.

Is it just me who thinks that Grimshaw makes a ton of unforced errors, even taking into account his age/experience? All for bringing on young players but he seems to be extremely raw given that he's only a year younger than Kieran Kennedy and they both had the same level of first team experience (ie, none) when they came to us.

Archived