Watches

22 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Enjoying this Squale. Loads of history with these, having made cases for Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, DOXA etc.

https://ibb.co/Hgzwz7S

Just bought a Seiko SPB143J. Curious to see how alike the MAS it is. 

Polish-20230308-184314398.jpg

Decent watch. Happy with it. 

Nice colour for a DAB.

On 06/03/2023 at 19:21, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Save a little more and buy a Tudor, it's a no brainer.

I’m probably way out of touch here but I’m not sure on the Tudor. A poor man’s Rolex? A bit like a guy who buys a high end VW/Audi and then protests that ‘it’s basically a Porsche without the badge/price’. But isn’t that exactly the point? Otherwise why don’t we all just get Casios? Apologies if I’m straying into contentious territory! Happy to be educated…

10 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’m probably way out of touch here but I’m not sure on the Tudor. A poor man’s Rolex? A bit like a guy who buys a high end VW/Audi and then protests that ‘it’s basically a Porsche without the badge/price’. But isn’t that exactly the point? Otherwise why don’t we all just get Casios? Apologies if I’m straying into contentious territory! Happy to be educated…

It was designed as a cheaper alternative to it's big brother Rolex, but the quality of the Tudor lets it stand alone. I like the Rolex pepsi gmt, but there's no way I'm chucking 15 -20k on a watch, the Tudor version of it is less than a third of the price, for basically the same spec. Suppose a lot of it is brand/badge snobbery.

I bought my first “fancy” watch recently. It was a Tudor and I’m delighted with it.

Looks good, feels good, tells the time. Couldn’t care less about the brand and have no time for luxury end watch dealer nonsense like waiting lists etc 

22 hours ago, alta-pete said:

When Rolex really took off it was known for making tool watches.  A submariner for diving, GMT for travel, Explorer II for spelunking etc.  I think it’s fair to say, although staying true to its roots, Rolex has moved up a level or two since then.  Same watches but less tool like.  To me at least the ceramic bezels on a 6 digit Submariner look a little more flashy than the aluminium bezels on a 5 digit Submariner.

There are plenty of people that own Tudor and Rolex watches.  A common comment made is that Tudor has kept the tool like vibe of more vintage Rolex watches and this appeals to a lot of people.  Have a look at the BB58 and compare it to the original 4 digit Submariner.  With its size and lack of crown guards the BB58 looks more similar to the original Submariner than the current Submariner ref 124060.

If you’re looking for bang for your buck I don’t think you can go wrong with a Tudor watch and you (mostly) don’t have to worry about wait lists.

Edited by Shadow Play

Shelled out on an Erika's Originals MN strap and put my old and battered Seamaster on it. Ridiculously over priced for a strap, but really comfy and secure. Sits close to the wrist too. Much better than a NATO. 

PXL-20230310-111119901.jpg

I've also went back down the Seiko rabbit hole and bought an SKX to mod. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a fuss at Watches and Wonders today for Rolex.  They have released their first ever titanium Yacht Master and their first Daytona with a display back to name but two of their new watches.  

This new dial design OP 41mm is the watch that caught my attention.  I’m not quite sure if it’s a stroke genius or just plain bonkers.  I can’t think of a better place to go other than P&B to gain valued opinions.  Thank you.

6ECE5532-0C9F-4C32-8C90-7AD8A95C3F96.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Quite a fuss at Watches and Wonders today for Rolex.  They have released their first ever titanium Yacht Master and their first Daytona with a display back to name but two of their new watches.  

This new dial design OP 41mm is the watch that caught my attention.  I’m not quite sure if it’s a stroke genius or just plain bonkers.  I can’t think of a better place to go other than P&B to gain valued opinions.  Thank you.

I can’t get past the dial. Looks horrendous to me but it’s a Rolex and if it’s limited edition it will already be gone and on the resale sites for significantly more than retail.

6 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Should call it the “Bust a move”…

https://www.bubbleshooter.net/bust-a-move/