Watches

44 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Caught this on Amazon, fascinating.

I've got a couple of George Daniel's books.  I was laying down the ground work for working on the pocket watch that i posted a few pages back.  Not got round to tinkering with it yet though!

21 minutes ago, greendot said:

I've got a couple of George Daniel's books.  I was laying down the ground work for working on the pocket watch that i posted a few pages back.  Not got round to tinkering with it yet though!

You might like the short video here about Roger Smith if you haven't seen it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/episode-1-roger-w-smith

On 24/12/2022 at 21:03, Shadow Play said:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  A few things that may be worth considering.

1) Try to buy whichever watch you decide to go for on a metal bracelet, rather than a leather strap - if that option is available).  The price difference is negligible when buying the watch but there is usually a big difference in price if you later want to add a metal bracelet v leather strap.  Also leather straps do need replaced from time to time and don’t mix well with water.

2) The BB58 925 will tarnish over time.  Tudor have added something to the silver alloy to try to prevent this but I understand it is not 100%.

3) Seems fairly certain Tudor will be introducing a 9% increase in January.  May be worth phoning the AD and seeing if you could secure the price now (they may just do that if they know you are a genuine buyer).

I think the original BB58 is the best of the bunch but I’m biased.  The original Pelagos is quite big so bear that in mind as well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

so went into jamieson & Carry in Aberdeen today fully expecting to be opting for the bb58, but I've got say the black bay heritage really grabbed me. think the size was a bit more me and  surprisingly I preferred it on the leather strap than the bracelet, although I've heeded your advice and will go with bracelet and buy the aged leather strap separately. unfortunately they didn't have the 58 I liked on the bracelet but did have the blue 58 and it felt a little small although it doesn't look it in the pictures I've taken 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

1 hour ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

so went into jamieson & Carry in Aberdeen today fully expecting to be opting for the bb58, but I've got say the black bay heritage really grabbed me. think the size was a bit more me and  surprisingly I preferred it on the leather strap than the bracelet, although I've heeded your advice and will go with bracelet and buy the aged leather strap separately unfortunately.  they didn't have the 58 I liked on the bracelet but did have the blue 58 and it felt a little small although it doesn't look it in the pictures I've taken 

Congratulations DDDLV.  I think the difference between the BB58 and BB Heritage essentially comes down to which one fits your own wrist best.  Great choice you’ve made and choosing the bracelet, then adding the leather strap down the road, is the best long term plan.

I think @Bigmouth Strikes Again has the BB Heritage and would be in a good position to offer you his opinion on how different straps for it work best.

Most importantly of all, enjoy your watch.  Don’t let it become a safe dweller!

Have been looking for an every day wearer for around the £300-£500 mark for a while. I am a big Hamilton fan and was severely tempted by the Khaki Field Automatic. 

However a couple of weeks ago I came  across the Marloe Watch Company based out of Kinross. They had some really nice watches but I decided on the the Marloe Sceptre Commander. It's listed as £349 but due to go up to £399 on 1st Jan. With a discount code I got it for £314. I know it's maybe not one for the purists but I like the fact it's designed by a company just down the road. 

It arrived today and absolutely love it. It goes straight into my top three with my Oris Aquis Date and Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical.

My photography skills really dont do it justice.

PXL_20221229_162156383.jpg

PXL_20221229_162246556.jpg

Edited by dundeefc1783

On 27/12/2022 at 17:32, Shadow Play said:

Congratulations DDDLV.  I think the difference between the BB58 and BB Heritage essentially comes down to which one fits your own wrist best.  Great choice you’ve made and choosing the bracelet, then adding the leather strap down the road, is the best long term plan.

I think @Bigmouth Strikes Again has the BB Heritage and would be in a good position to offer you his opinion on how different straps for it work best.

Most importantly of all, enjoy your watch.  Don’t let it become a safe dweller!

Bond nato.

tudor.thumb.jpg.1aecdd8546dbadb1e7985775b577c517.jpg

Always on a nato, you can change the whole look of the watch in seconds. Thought about a Rubber B, but they're about £140.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Bond nato.

tudor.thumb.jpg.1aecdd8546dbadb1e7985775b577c517.jpg

Always on a nato, you can change the whole look of the watch in seconds. Thought about a Rubber B, but they're about £140.

Looks great on the NATO, I’ve never worn a watch on a nato before will have to have a look, I love how you can change the look of a watch so much by swapping straps.

I’ve ordered the Tudor  on the bracelet but I’m also going to order the leather strap as it looked great on it, now should I order it with a clasp or would it be easy enough to just swap the one from the bracelet to the leather? 

now waiting impatiently on the driver to deliver it, should have been here yesterday 

C34F8193-E0D5-45DD-8A37-0E7AC9CED2D2.thumb.jpeg.0fd2e9736e2fb9c790125c6ea3c1cc8f.jpegFEB88AB6-2394-42AF-AAFA-F51D6892BD0C.thumb.jpeg.4110b30ff8a2229c5f11a5c19f10c818.jpeg

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Looks great on the NATO, I’ve never worn a watch on a nato before will have to have a look, I love how you can change the look of a watch so much by swapping straps.

I’ve ordered the Tudor  on the bracelet but I’m also going to order the leather strap as it looked great on it, now should I order it with a clasp or would it be easy enough to just swap the one from the bracelet to the leather? 

now waiting impatiently on the driver to deliver it, should have been here yesterday 

C34F8193-E0D5-45DD-8A37-0E7AC9CED2D2.thumb.jpeg.0fd2e9736e2fb9c790125c6ea3c1cc8f.jpegFEB88AB6-2394-42AF-AAFA-F51D6892BD0C.thumb.jpeg.4110b30ff8a2229c5f11a5c19f10c818.jpeg

Looking nice, would just buy on the bracelet. Get a 20/30 quid leather nato from watchgecko save yourself hundreds, looks just as good.

5 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Love how different it looks on the two different straps here. Really changes it up. I’m looking at purchasing something of more quality than my usual next year, and the Tudor on a rubber band is tempting me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a5bcbc8474b36962ecfcd137391db3ae.jpeg

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like the hour hand on these Tudors. Do you get used to it, or is it a love it/hate it choice?

I love the snowflake hour hand.  It also makes a lot of sense from a historical point of view (French Navy wanted Tudor to make the hour hand more distinct from the minute hand).  I think it adds a bit of uniqueness to the watch.

What did initially put me off buying the BB58 was the faux rivets on the bracelet.  This was based solo from the photos I’d seen on the internet.  Once I actually tried it on they weren’t even remotely an issue.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I would quite like a perpetual moonphase watch. What are the things to look out for before I end up getting drunk and buying a JLC Master Ultra Thin?

I know very little about moonphase watches.  I don’t know how easy it is to accurately re-set the moonphase if you let your watch run out of power so it may be best to keep the watch on a watch winder (not something I would normally recommend).

I know the Rolex Cellini moonphase can be set with an independent button but I’m not sure if that’s a standard method or not. 

9 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I love the snowflake hour hand.  It also makes a lot of sense from a historical point of view (French Navy wanted Tudor to make the hour hand more distinct from the minute hand).  I think it adds a bit of uniqueness to the watch.

I figured that was why it was that way…especially in the dark, the snowflake differentiates the hour from the minute hand clearly, where otherwise the hour hand might look a lot like the minute hand if pointing at a luminous dot. A nice lesson, thanks…but I still dislike it, so that answers my question too!

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I would quite like a perpetual moonphase watch. What are the things to look out for before I end up getting drunk and buying a JLC Master Ultra Thin?

This is the one I wear:

Raymond Weil Maestro Mens Watch 2239M-ST-00659 (chisholmhunter.co.uk)

I don't work for Chisholm Hunter by the way so no commission for me!

It's easy enough to set the moon phase- pull out the crown halfway and you wind up the way to set the date and down the way to rotate the moonphase. Pulling out the crown all the way sets the time.