Watches

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Anyone got any advice on what sort of brands I should be looking at in the sub £500 market? Very ignorant on the subject of watches so would be good to hear any recommendations on what websites to look around.  

Can't go wrong with a Seiko, I think you can sneak in to the higher end presage and prospex range at that. Tissot ain't too bad either although they'll just be quartz watches not automatics. Depends what style you're looking for 

Edit

Might scrape a Hamilton into the mix as well.

Lesser known microbrands stuff like laco and Baltic might tickle your fancy as well?

Edited by greendot

11 hours ago, greendot said:

Can't go wrong with a Seiko, I think you can sneak in to the higher end presage and prospex range at that. Tissot ain't too bad either although they'll just be quartz watches not automatics. Depends what style you're looking for 

Edit

Might scrape a Hamilton into the mix as well.

Lesser known microbrands stuff like laco and Baltic might tickle your fancy as well?

Perfect, thanks! Will take a look. The microbrands definitely of interest. Best to just buy them direct from their websites or any better online stores you'd recommend? 

8 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Perfect, thanks! Will take a look. The microbrands definitely of interest. Best to just buy them direct from their websites or any better online stores you'd recommend? 

I think with the microbrands unless they're expanding their market I would go directly to their site to purchase them. A quick Google of a particular model may throw up another site / reseller but care must be taken if the price is too good to be true. 

Obviously the big brand stuff you have the option to shop around but your main high street shops tend to be similar if not the same price across the board 

Edited by greendot

On 17/03/2022 at 20:45, Big Fifer said:

Anyone got any advice on what sort of brands I should be looking at in the sub £500 market? Very ignorant on the subject of watches so would be good to hear any recommendations on what websites to look around.  

£565 buys you what I think is the best value watch out there.  The Tissot PRX Powermatic 80.  80 hours power reserve and an exhibition case back, although admittedly it’s not the nicest looking movement I’ve ever seen.  

If you’re determined not to go over the £500 mark and would like a quartz watch the Tissot PRX is £295.

I wouldn’t normally post about watches that are about to be released but I can’t quite decide what to make of the Omega x Swatch watches that are being released tomorrow.  I think they are a fun alternative type watch but I’d need to see them in person.   They have a 42mm bioceramic case with a quartz movement.  Rumoured to be retailing for approximately £250 with sales being limited to two per customer.

Thought I’d post it here and see what the good people of P&B think.  Is it a stroke of genius by Omega in that it will introduce new customers to the legendary Speedmaster or does it cheapen the brand?

@Bigmouth Strikes Again you own a Speedmaster.  I’d be interested to hear from a current Speedmaster owner.

Apparently 10 or 11 different styles / colours being released.  I’ve attached a photo of two of what I think are the better styles.

DF95C6D8-0A5B-4955-90DC-DE3DE2AF6EEF.jpeg

8E20FF07-7B50-4343-984A-C59C43974EB9.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I wouldn’t normally post about watches that are about to be released but I can’t quite decide what to make of the Omega x Swatch watches that are being released tomorrow.  I think they are a fun alternative type watch but I’d need to see them in person.   They have a 42mm bioceramic case with a quartz movement.  Rumoured to be retailing for approximately £250 with sales being limited to two per customer.

Thought I’d post it here and see what the good people of P&B think.  Is it a stroke of genius by Omega in that it will introduce new customers to the legendary Speedmaster or does it cheapen the brand?

@Bigmouth Strikes Again you own a Speedmaster.  I’d be interested to hear from a current Speedmaster owner.

Apparently 10 or 11 different styles / colours being released.  I’ve attached a photo of two of what I think are the better styles.

Is this definitely real Shadow? If it is, these will sell like hot cakes. Love my Speedie, runs fast though, needs a service.

speedie1.thumb.jpg.f0a53dc3dc1c11dc064ec0175273d41f.jpg

eta looks big on the wrist, it's not, it's just the angle.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Its a resounding no from me! 

On 23/03/2022 at 19:19, Shadow Play said:

I’m a Speedy owner Shadow Play, thanks for highlighting this range. I’ve had a chance to look at the new offerings and I love them. The solar system theme they have going is great. I was surprised at the colour of the Uranus watch😀.

Would like to see them in the flesh but I’d definitely go for the Neptune blue one. 

35 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I’m a Speedy owner Shadow Play, thanks for highlighting this range. I’ve had a chance to look at the new offerings and I love them. The solar system theme they have going is great. I was surprised at the colour of the Uranus watch😀.

Would like to see them in the flesh but I’d definitely go for the Neptune blue one. 

First of all congratulations on your Speedmaster.  Absolute classic of a watch.  Definitely the best Omega out there IMHO, although I’m very interested in seeing the new Ultra-Deep that has just been released.  

Only place in Scotland selling the new solar system range is the Swatch boutique in Edinburgh.  I’m going to go through to see them as soon as I get a chance.

On 24/03/2022 at 20:56, Shadow Play said:

First of all congratulations on your Speedmaster.  Absolute classic of a watch.  Definitely the best Omega out there IMHO, although I’m very interested in seeing the new Ultra-Deep that has just been released.  

Only place in Scotland selling the new solar system range is the Swatch boutique in Edinburgh.  I’m going to go through to see them as soon as I get a chance.

Reported queues at the Edinburgh store today and a cluster f**k in London (who would have guessed) where the stores have had to close for health and safety reasons 😂

14 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I see some arseholes online are trying to flog them for 3 grand, one even wanted 63,000 😀 Seemingly Omega are not too happy either, cheapens the brand.

They've had them on ebay for a couple of days now.  No surprise really but you've got to be a decent level of 'special' to buy them at that price since they're not limited editions and will no doubt end up on their website in a few months time instead of just the selected stores.  It's a 200quid watch regardless of any hype.  I look forward to seeing their discount deals at either this Christmas or next when sales start to tail off though!

On 23/03/2022 at 19:19, Shadow Play said:

Just went to the Swatch shop in Edinburgh, they have sold out and suggest signing up to the newsletter to find out when they are back

Walked past the swatch shop this morning about 9.30 and the Q was insane. There's no way they'd have had enough of them for everyone. People are weird. 

The Q for breakfast at Dishoom was thankfully much more reasonable. 

18 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Walked past the swatch shop this morning about 9.30 and the Q was insane. There's no way they'd have had enough of them for everyone. People are weird. 

The Q for breakfast at Dishoom was thankfully much more reasonable. 

Hodinkee stating that the Swatch store in 5th Avenue were only provided 150 units to sell on the opening day.  

I think people should remember that Swatch watches are designed in such a way that they are effectively non serviceable and are fitted with a pretty poor quartz movement.  These things are not built to last.

Hodinkee stating that the Swatch store in 5th Avenue were only provided 150 units to sell on the opening day.  
I think people should remember that Swatch watches are designed in such a way that they are effectively non serviceable and are fitted with a pretty poor quartz movement.  These things are not built to last.

£10 watch with a £200 name attached.