Watches

3 hours ago, greendot said:

Something a bit different for me this time.

Bought an ebay Ingersoll watch from 1965 to have a tinker with.  It was listed as having a probable mainspring issue (broken / missing) so I'll need to see if i can source that.  I've just opened up the back to take a look and things appear to be pretty clean in there but I'll have to get some watch oils and a couple of extra tools i think so i can 'practice' servicing it.  Only cost £14.99 delivered so haven't broke the bank with it!

ZwYPx7B.jpg

Brilliant.  My grandfather had an Ingersoll pocket watch in the 60s which, from memory, looked very much like that.

My daily wear is a near-20-year-old watch with a hand-wound Unitas movement which I believe was originally a pocket-watch movement.  I paid £245 for it new in 2002/3 (can't quite remember):

unitas.jpg.63d25ff31f1e4b0cb21d02af9dc50cae.jpg

I was doing admin/paperwork 'shit' on Friday and found a receipt from March 2019 when I had it serviced and the twisted mainspring replaced for a total of £235.  So if you've the skills to DIY then a. I'm impressed and b. what a bargain you'll have.

Keep us posted!

46 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Brilliant.  My grandfather had an Ingersoll pocket watch in the 60s which, from memory, looked very much like that.

My daily wear is a near-20-year-old watch with a hand-wound Unitas movement which I believe was originally a pocket-watch movement.  I paid £245 for it new in 2002/3 (can't quite remember):

unitas.jpg.63d25ff31f1e4b0cb21d02af9dc50cae.jpg

I was doing admin/paperwork 'shit' on Friday and found a receipt from March 2019 when I had it serviced and the twisted mainspring replaced for a total of £235.  So if you've the skills to DIY then a. I'm impressed and b. what a bargain you'll have.

Keep us posted!

I've had a look at this video so far which is pretty much the watch I've got bar a different dial styling.

I'm mainly looking at it from a stand point of seeing if i can 'give it a go' in the first instance just to take it apart and put it back together again.  Then I'll take a look into possibly getting watch oils and an ultrasonic cleaner to get it ' as good as new' as possible.  I think if i want to get this one running I'll have to see what's happened to the mainspring but my initial search on ebay for replacements have come up empty.  Think I'll possibly have to replace it with a similar one if i can match the dimensions.  I guess i could pop into one of the local jewellers and see if they have any spares albeit that may be a bit cheeky if I'm not getting them to replace it!

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if this would be any interest. Chrono24 are doing a $10k giveaway. Subscribe to the channel and post a response in line with the content of the video and once they reach 100k subscribers they'll draw a winner. They're on 67.9k subscribers just now though so could be a while!

Next in my series of 'watches I like but can't afford' is one finished in Glasgow.  Standard but quality Swiss movement and (probably) a German case but their twist is that the hands and the enamel dials are fabricated in The Weege:  https://anordain.com/

Enamel dials are rare as the failure rate is high but this looks, to me, absolutely lovely with the blued hands:

112394963_weegewatch.thumb.png.4b704c07ec2d8dcbaaf0499d23134506.png

£1,200 plus VAT is a bit of a bargain.  If only...

17 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

The rotating bezel on my watch is rather stiff of late, anything you watch aficionados suggest to lube her up? WD40 ? spit ? goose fat? or is it the done thing to get ones time piece in for a MOT.

TIA

All depends on the value of the watch.

On 10/08/2021 at 23:56, The_Kincardine said:

Next in my series of 'watches I like but can't afford' is one finished in Glasgow.  Standard but quality Swiss movement and (probably) a German case but their twist is that the hands and the enamel dials are fabricated in The Weege:  https://anordain.com/

Enamel dials are rare as the failure rate is high but this looks, to me, absolutely lovely with the blued hands:

112394963_weegewatch.thumb.png.4b704c07ec2d8dcbaaf0499d23134506.png

£1,200 plus VAT is a bit of a bargain.  If only...

Following your recommendation I checked out their website and think that the Fume dials are a thing of beauty. They're like nothing else out there. I really like the blue dial but I’d be happy with any of the colours. A good choice of straps allows you to customise to your requirements. After some swithering (do I really need another watch???) I’ve decided to subscribe for notifications of their next batches. Hopefully something comes up soon.

66626267-30D9-464A-B4E4-7E69BA01DDEC.png

47 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Following your recommendation I checked out their website and think that the Fume dials are a thing of beauty. They're like nothing else out there. I really like the blue dial but I’d be happy with any of the colours. A good choice of straps allows you to customise to your requirements. After some swithering (do I really need another watch???) I’ve decided to subscribe for notifications of their next batches. Hopefully something comes up soon.

I'm an old traditionalist so would only wear a watch with a black, silver, white or cream face but my 20 yo would agree with you - and would choose the blue fume or the plum one - which also looks gorgeous:

Plum-gallery_2000x.thumb.png.0540310dffa75471910825def5924491.png

20 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Some nice Glashutte Original watches with similar style dials.   They’re not the cheapest watches out there but they are superb pieces of German engineering. A little over £7K for the one below.

BA18095B-183A-4C91-A8E0-932E60C3EAFB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm the market for a new watch and have a budget of around £1200. This will be my first time spending a decent chunk on a watch so just wondering what those in the know would recommend

What kind? Sports watch, dress watch, chronograph?

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
What kind? Sports watch, dress watch, chronograph?
Thank you.

Thinking a chronograph

Although £1200 is a load of cash, anything you buy in that price range is going to plummet in terms of value, as soon as you buy it. I would keep saving and try and get close to £3000, for that kind of money you can get something really special, like an Omega moonwatch, or a Tudor, these will hold their value, and you can get your money back in the future, should you need the funds. Just my opinion though.