Watches

So what would be the 5 makes that should be on anyone's list if they were getting into collecting or looking to make profit?

To be honest I always thought I would one day buy a Breitling as always liked the look of them (really like the avenger chrono 43mm) and it would just be there to pass down to my son rather than an investment but now wondering if it's only because I've always heard the name and think of it as synonymous with high quality watches rather than Tudor or the likes, that are no doubt exceptional makes, but maybe not quite as well known to laymen

20 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

So what would be the 5 makes that should be on anyone's list if they were getting into collecting or looking to make profit?

Omega, Tudor, Rolex, Breitling, Tag Heuer, and Seiko, the only one to really make a profit is Rolex.

1 hour ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

To be honest I always thought I would one day buy a Breitling as always liked the look of them (really like the avenger chrono 43mm) and it would just be there to pass down to my son rather than an investment but now wondering if it's only because I've always heard the name and think of it as synonymous with high quality watches rather than Tudor or the likes, that are no doubt exceptional makes, but maybe not quite as well known to laymen

Rolex are undoubtedly the most ‘affordable‘ watch that you would be likely to make money on.  The difficulty is trying to source one at list price.

Better still, if you managed to buy a Patek Philippe Nautilus at list price a significant instant profit is guaranteed.  Unfortunately the cheapest Nautilus is about £20K and there is only a slim chance of even being placed on a a lengthy waiting list without some serious previous purchase/s with the AD - Laings and Hamilton and Inches, both in Edinburgh, are Patek Phillips ADs and offer superb service.

If you’re going to pass the watch down the generations making a profit is less of a concern IMO.  You may wish to consider buying a watch that was released / designed in the year of your child’s birth.  By doing that you open up the pre-owned market and allow the original purchaser to take a hit on any depreciation.

In terms of watch brands that I personally like (ignoring the ridiculously expensive & extremely ridiculously expensive brands like Patek, Audemars Piguet, Richard Mille, A. Lang & Sohne etc)  my top 5 would be: Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Omega, Grand Seiko - in that order.

Good luck with your choice and if you’re looking for more advice I’d thoroughly recommend ‘Rolexforums‘.  A very polite forum where you can get advice on just about any watch there is. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a few "proper" nice watches, but I've got in to the modding thing. Cheap and cheerful and a little bit different. To be honest, I take more enjoyment from these watches that I've taken apart and changed or built from scratch myself than a premium watch. 

_20200708_204000.JPG

_20200708_203932.JPG

_20200708_203836.JPG

Has anyone ever bought from the Watchpilot website? They have the watch I want significantly cheaper than anywhere else but I've never heard of them and am naturally suspicious about things being too good to be true. Would make me feel better if the forums watch afficianados could vouch for them. 

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Has anyone ever bought from the Watchpilot website? They have the watch I want significantly cheaper than anywhere else but I've never heard of them and am naturally suspicious about things being too good to be true. Would make me feel better if the forums watch afficianados could vouch for them. 

Review site.

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Looks like a load of overpriced 'fashion watches' that cost about a fiver to make. I would avoid it, if that's your budget go for Seiko.

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Looks like a load of overpriced 'fashion watches' that cost about a fiver to make. I would avoid it, if that's your budget go for Seiko.

Thank you.

Cheers. It was for a Tissot but might just save up for something nicer.

18 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Cheers. It was for a Tissot but might just save up for something nicer.

Tissot is not bad, the Tommy Hilfiger and Armani are a rip off.

eta IMO.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

On 08/07/2020 at 20:45, Futureboy said:

I've got a few "proper" nice watches, but I've got in to the modding thing. Cheap and cheerful and a little bit different. To be honest, I take more enjoyment from these watches that I've taken apart and changed or built from scratch myself than a premium watch. 

_20200708_204000.JPG

_20200708_203932.JPG

_20200708_203836.JPG

The Vostoks are a great watch for the money , especially buying from Russia rather than the premium you pay for UK sellers.

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

That will last for years though.

That was covered for 1 year. £80 for the lifetime thing. Money's tight just now so might just wait until pay day. 

Quite pleased when the guy said "Fucking nice watch that though" 😀