Watches

10 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I know very little about moonphase watches.  I don’t know how easy it is to accurately re-set the moonphase if you let your watch run out of power so it may be best to keep the watch on a watch winder (not something I would normally recommend).

I know the Rolex Cellini moonphase can be set with an independent button but I’m not sure if that’s a standard method or not. 

Yeah, I have not yet looked into the mechanics of it and was unsure what additional complications it would bring. Very unlikely I will buy one in the near future but if and when I buy another watch, I am currently very into them.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This is the one I wear:

Raymond Weil Maestro Mens Watch 2239M-ST-00659 (chisholmhunter.co.uk)

I don't work for Chisholm Hunter by the way so no commission for me!

It's easy enough to set the moon phase- pull out the crown halfway and you wind up the way to set the date and down the way to rotate the moonphase. Pulling out the crown all the way sets the time. 

7 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

https://www.uhrenschmuck24.ch/frederique-constant-classics-moonphase-fc-335mc4p5.html

Shop near the house had this one on display last week which is what piqued my interest. I know they always look better in the jewelers window but this was looking particularly good.

46 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I know they always look better in the jewelers window 

I had a look round the luxury jewellers in Paris this year - Hublot, Rolex, Tag, Panerai, Mont Blanc etc. All very, very nice but the brnd that absolutely blew them away when you see them in the flesh is Breguet. Beautiful. 

Edited by Newbornbairn

25 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I had a look round the luxury jewellers in Paris this year - Hublot, Rolex, Tag, Panerai, Mont Blanc etc. All very, very nice but the brnd that absolutely blew them away when you see them in the flesh is Breguet. Beautiful. 

A lot of jewelers and watch shops in the old town where I stay but most of them sell stuff that is dangerously within my price range.

Had a wee walking route I would usually do once a day when in the office full time in Zug that took me down the mains street and along the lake front. Zug is probably the richest city in Switzerland, all the gaffs there had at least one extra 0 on the price tag. One shop always had one window dedicated to Franck Müller, and it always seemed to have had more effort put in than the rest. That said, I always slowed down walking past this place because they usually had a lot of limited edition and vintage stuff on show. I’d challenge anyone to look in there and not immediately want to buy most of it.

On 24/12/2022 at 21:03, Shadow Play said:

3) Seems fairly certain Tudor will be introducing a 9% increase in January.  May be worth phoning the AD and seeing if you could secure the price now (they may just do that if they know you are a genuine buyer).

I think the original BB58 is the best of the bunch but I’m biased.  The original Pelagos is quite big so bear that in mind as well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Went in to the Tudor shop in Glasgow today to get bracelet resized and right enough there has been a 9.5% price rise on every watch with one of the models going up by as high as 20%

Thanks for the heads up 

On 31/12/2022 at 07:45, Ross. said:

https://www.uhrenschmuck24.ch/frederique-constant-classics-moonphase-fc-335mc4p5.html

Shop near the house had this one on display last week which is what piqued my interest. I know they always look better in the jewelers window but this was looking particularly good.

Have to say I don't like the exposed bit below 12 o'clock at all, looks like some kind of fungus growing on it. Maybe looks better in real life.

On 31/12/2022 at 09:02, Ross. said:

That said, I always slowed down walking past this place because they usually had a lot of limited edition and vintage stuff on show. I’d challenge anyone to look in there and not immediately want to buy most of it.

I think I’ve just found a new dream watch. I’m not usually a fan of rectangular watches, but that Hublot Spirit of Big Bang, oh my… 😍

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Have to say I don't like the exposed bit below 12 o'clock at all, looks like some kind of fungus growing on it. Maybe looks better in real life.

You probably won’t like the Kudoke 2, which has now gone top of my list having fallen down a rabbit hole and spending the last week or so looking far and wide at Moonphase watches.

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

You probably won’t like the Kudoke 2, which has now gone top of my list having fallen down a rabbit hole and spending the last week or so looking far and wide at Moonphase watches.

Have to say this version looks a bit special.

Kudoke-x-TLE-British-Heritage.jpeg

https://www.watchaffinity.co.uk/blog/kudoke-2-british-heritage-kudoke-the-limited-edition/

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was a dark blue and silver effort I was looking at. Wonder what his waiting list is like. Some of the watches he makes look tremendous.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Love the look of that, but feel the band lets it down. Don’t know why, but it reminds me of mouse fur. I assume the photo just emphasized the texture.

Edited by TxRover

20 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Went in to the Tudor shop in Glasgow today to get bracelet resized and right enough there has been a 9.5% price rise on every watch with one of the models going up by as high as 20%

Thanks for the heads up 

20% wow.  I’m guessing that was the BB58 gold or one of their TT watches?  Rolex price increases on 01/01/23 were less severe with the biggest increases appearing to be in their TT watches.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Love the look of that, but feel the band let’s it down. Don’t know why, but it reminds me of mouse fur. I assume the photo just emphasized the texture.

Spot on, looks horrendous on that strap, should be on a brown alligator. IMO.

Been hanging with the cold/flu for last few days and has lead me to reading lots and salivating more over watches,  Welshbairn was correct when he says this is a dangerous thread!

quite enjoyed this article about watches of the World Cup

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-watches-of-lionel-messi-and-the-stars-of-the-2022-world-cup

really liked the Carl . F Bucherer worn by the Swiss boss so started looking at that and noticed the calibre was a an ETA movement ( I have a ETA 2824 movement in a LIV watch I bought a few years ago) so this led me to read about other calibres which got me on to the speedmaster calibre 321, sweet Jeebus that is beautiful 😍 

I think it’s probably safer to stick to the trainers thread 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

20230118_115927.thumb.jpg.16c657565a1f416c06e408c2fe9a8e81.jpg

Took the advice from here and ordered it on the bracelet so I could swap out with a NATO 

Nightmare trying to get the bracelet off of mine, had to take it to a jeweller. Might be different with that newer model though.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I quite like the bracelet for now tbh so might be a while.

Great watch choice.  The Tudor bracelets are amongst the best in the business.  Very comfortable IMHO.

If you already know what I’m about to write please don’t take it as an insult.  Seeing as we are talking about bracelets, I thought I’d post it here just in case anyone was not aware.  

Remember to gently wash the bracelet reasonably regularly.  Just use lukewarm water, a bit of Fairy Liquid and a micro fibre cloth.  Rinse with clean water and then dry with micro fibre cloth.   Apart from the obvious effect of keeping it clean it stops the build up of bits of dirt that can find their way into the holes for the links of the bracelet where the bits of dirt act a little like sandpaper.  Long term  worse case scenario is it can cause your bracelet to ‘stretch’.

22 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

20230118_115927.thumb.jpg.16c657565a1f416c06e408c2fe9a8e81.jpg

Took the advice from here and ordered it on the bracelet so I could swap out with a NATO 

It really is lovely on bracelet.

interestingly I have read that the spring bars for the bracelet and nato/leather straps are different sizes,

I've got myself a couple of NATO and waiting on the OEM Tudor leather strap (leather on a diver might not be everyone's cup of tea but I really loved it when trying it on) so planning to do a fair few swaps depending on occasion. Been looking at tools for swapping quicker and safer and found this as an alternative to the bergeon ones 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/cousins-swiss-style3

Anyone Any recommendations? Did see some use a drawing pin but I'll give that a miss

15 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Listening to the news and heard about a robber stealing from Mark Cavendish 2 Richard Mille watches worth £700,000.       Never heard of that brand.......clearly don't sell them in H Samuels !!

Sounds like Cavendish got one of them as a freebie...

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/articles/richard-mille-for-mark-cavendish

Not for me, way too busy.

news_richardmillecavendish_body-2017-04-

Edited by welshbairn