Watches

There’s the Kartel watch I went for. Wearing it on the steel bracelet today although it’s been more often on the olive leather strap I’ve got. 

image.jpg

I think the perspective here makes the watch look huge and my wrist look tiny. That’s very much not the case!

Edited by Netan Sansara

3 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

There’s the Kartel watch I went for. Wearing it on the steel bracelet today although it’s been more often on the olive leather strap I’ve got. 

image.jpg

I think the perspective here makes the watch look huge and my wrist look tiny. That’s very much not the case!

Aye, right, Mr President 

Hoping one of the connoisseurs here can help with a query - looking to make my first foray into decent quality watches, but if I'm spending a fair wedge I would rather focus on the ones that are depreciation free/light.

I like the Rolex submariner style, and therefore the Tudor black bay etc appeals, but also the Breitling Navitimer although I fear it might be a bit blingy for me.

Having had a look at a few second hand sites it looks like most Rolex will appreciate in value - is that right or am I misunderstanding? A few I've seen at a year or two old are selling for the same price as a new one and it baffles me... Why not just get one new rather than a year or two old if it's the same money?

33 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Hoping one of the connoisseurs here can help with a query - looking to make my first foray into decent quality watches, but if I'm spending a fair wedge I would rather focus on the ones that are depreciation free/light.

I like the Rolex submariner style, and therefore the Tudor black bay etc appeals, but also the Breitling Navitimer although I fear it might be a bit blingy for me.

Having had a look at a few second hand sites it looks like most Rolex will appreciate in value - is that right or am I misunderstanding? A few I've seen at a year or two old are selling for the same price as a new one and it baffles me... Why not just get one new rather than a year or two old if it's the same money?

Sounds like you're buying a watch for profit rather than for something you actually want?

On the Rolex front no shop has any stock so I wouldn't waste your time, the popular models are reserved for previous clients on the ad lists so you need to spend on watches you don't want for a chance to join a list for a few years to get the watch you want. The second hand market is nuts cos of folk jumping on the bandwagon to buy a watch purely for profit so the prices are ridiculously inflated. 

The watch market is turning into the classic car market where the popular models will hold value / increase but to a certain degree you've got the be on it in the early stages to make any sort of money from it. 

I'd personally advise going for a watch that you want and that you'll wear rather than one which will 'guarantee' to appreciate cos most won't and the ones that are inflated just now will settle to a more reduced level but may increase again. 

1 hour ago, Paxo said:

Your best bet is to buy a Tudor. IMO, it's a fair wedge but it's worth every penny, you won't make a profit on the watch, but it will hold it's value, that or an Omega Speedmaster. Buy a new Brietling and you will lose a few quid. Everything Greendot said is spot on as well.

Thank you.

eta. Rolex is the answer for making money, but, you will need to spend about 10k now, bought my Datejust ll for £4,600 now selling for 8,500, not interested in selling it though, not about the money, unless it was silly prices.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

2 hours ago, Paxo said:

I’m completely biased but I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with a Tudor BB58.  If not that then perhaps the Tudor Pelagos 39mm or the Tudor Ranger (not a diver).  Rumour has it they are going to increase prices across the board by around 9% in January so if you can move quickly it may be to your benefit.

Something that’s worth thinking about is Beaverbrooks, Chisholm Hunter etc offer 4 years interest free credit on some of their watches, including Tudor.  So, a Tudor Ranger on a nato strap would cost as little as £45 p/month.  

Even if you could purchase one new at an AD, I highly doubt you would get interest free credit on a Rolex.

With regards to depreciation, the best thing you could do is chose a watch you truly love, keep it until you forget how to read the time, then pass it on to one of your kids (if you have any).  That’s when a good quality watch becomes something truly special.

ETA If your a bit worried about dropping quite so much £ on a Rolex or a Tudor you may wish to have a look at some of the Oris watches.  Have a look at their website, especially their Diver Sixty-Five range.

Edited by Shadow Play

12 hours ago, Paxo said:

@greendot @Bigmouth Strikes Again @Shadow Play

Your advice is much appreciated, thanks.

I'm not necessarily looking for something going up in value, just something I wouldn't lose my shirt on.

In reality I'm a bit of a hoarder and have never sold anything in my life, so I suppose the resale value is irrelevant!

If you see it in a Rolex window new, then generally it is not going up in price or its not for sale.

The submariner will come up eventually if that's what you really want, get your name on a shops list and check with them every 6 months and you might get lucky quicker.

For me it's about getting to know the best person in a store and you may have to buy something from them to tide you over/improve the relationship until what you really want comes in.

They'll let you see what they have held in the back for customers and try on and that will help you make your mind up.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

If you see it in a Rolex window new, then generally it is not going up in price or its not for sale.

The submariner will come up eventually if that's what you really want, get your name on a shops list and check with them every 6 months and you might get lucky quicker.

For me it's about getting to know the best person in a store and you may have to buy something from them to tide you over/improve the relationship until what you really want comes in.

They'll let you see what they have held in the back for customers and try on and that will help you make your mind up.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I suppose I naively thought I could just wander into a shop and buy myself a Rolex on interest free credit there and then no bother. Clearly that's not the case.

I might go into a Rolex approved dealer and have a look at the Tudors and Omegas. I guess if I buy one they'll let me put my name down for a Submariner or a Daytona and I can save my pennies while I wait for it.

Seems like a ridiculous markup on these though - I've seen 2022 Daytonas for sale second hand for £28k, yet the RRP is £12k - am I missing something or is that the premium people are willing to pay to get it immediately?

18 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Seems like a ridiculous markup on these though - I've seen 2022 Daytonas for sale second hand for £28k, yet the RRP is £12k - am I missing something or is that the premium people are willing to pay to get it immediately?

Yep, that's the going rate currently for those that want it now, although you'll see a range in prices.

I walked out a dealer and went for a valuation to add on my insurance and there was an 80% mark up in the 2 minute walk.

I've already put a couple of watches on a list for family significant birthdays, you live and learn I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Thanks.

I suppose I naively thought I could just wander into a shop and buy myself a Rolex on interest free credit there and then no bother. Clearly that's not the case.

I might go into a Rolex approved dealer and have a look at the Tudors and Omegas. I guess if I buy one they'll let me put my name down for a Submariner or a Daytona and I can save my pennies while I wait for it.

I think a Daytona will be a big ask.  I’ve heard each AD gets relatively few stainless steel ones each year and they there are already a significant number of existing long established clients wanting one.  Remember, there are only 7 Rolex Authorised Dealers in Scotland. 

Also, the Daytona is quite a dressy sports watch IMHO and may be a bit too flash in certain circumstances.  The Submariner on the other hand is an absolute classic that can be worn anywhere - it’s equally at home diving off a coral reef as it is at a candlelight dinner (sorry that bit’s plagiarism 🤣).

One final thing before I bore everyone too much.  When you say Submariner do you actually mean the Submariner or are you considering a Submariner Date as well? 

Personally, I think the Submariner is the best choice.  It is the original and the best between the Submariner and Submariner Date as far as I’m concerned.  The Submariner Date came out a few years later I believe.

The Submariner is also the only Rolex watch in the entire collection that only has the one configuration.  Every other Rolex in the collection has various dials, bezels, diamond setting etc available.

21 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Yep, that's the going rate currently for those that want it now, although you'll see a range in prices.

I walked out a dealer and went for a valuation to add on my insurance and there was an 80% mark up in the 2 minute walk.

I've already put a couple of watches on a list for family significant birthdays, you live and learn I suppose.

That is utterly mental! In that case I'll put my name down for as many as they'll give me! Even just getting two and selling one would pretty much cover the costs!

22 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think a Daytona will be a big ask.  I’ve heard each AD gets relatively few stainless steel ones each year and they there are already a significant number of existing long established clients wanting one.  Remember, there are only 7 Rolex Authorised Dealers in Scotland. 

Also, the Daytona is quite a dressy sports watch IMHO and may be a bit too flash in certain circumstances.  The Submariner on the other hand is an absolute classic that can be worn anywhere - it’s equally at home diving off a coral reef as it is at a candlelight dinner (sorry that bit’s plagiarism 🤣).

One final thing before I bore everyone too much.  When you say Submariner do you actually mean the Submariner or are you considering a Submariner Date as well? 

Personally, I think the Submariner is the best choice.  It is the original and the best between the Submariner and Submariner Date as far as I’m concerned.  The Submariner Date came out a few years later I believe.

The Submariner is also the only Rolex watch in the entire collection that only has the one configuration.  Every other Rolex in the collection has various dials, bezels, diamond setting etc available.

It's the og submariner I was thinking, in my experience the date function needs manually adjusted 5 times a year and therefore it's pointless in my opinion. Perhaps Rolex do a working version though.

I go to Geneva a couple of times a year so was thinking I'll check them out there for pricing. I think the sales tax is reclaimable so might be more competitive.

28 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Anyone got any knowledge of Marloe Watch Company? Based out of Kinross and have some nice looking watches on website.

I had a look at this one before I noticed the price, bit more than I was thinking of.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I had a look at this one before I noticed the price, bit more than I was thinking of.

The ones I am looking at are aro in around the £350 mark and think they look cracking. 

https://www.marloewatchcompany.com/products/coniston-auto-cn7

https://www.marloewatchcompany.com/products/sceptre-commander

24 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

The ones I am looking at are aro in around the £350 mark and think they look cracking. 

https://www.marloewatchcompany.com/products/coniston-auto-cn7

https://www.marloewatchcompany.com/products/sceptre-commander

Agreed, the first one for my taste. I know fuckall about watches though. I just saw £975 and ran a mile. Your's are worth thinking about.

Edited by welshbairn

On 22/12/2022 at 20:08, Shadow Play said:

I’m completely biased but I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with a Tudor BB58.  If not that then perhaps the Tudor Pelagos 39mm or the Tudor Ranger (not a diver).  Rumour has it they are going to increase prices across the board by around 9% in January so if you can move quickly it may be to your benefit.

Something that’s worth thinking about is Beaverbrooks, Chisholm Hunter etc offer 4 years interest free credit on some of their watches, including Tudor.  So, a Tudor Ranger on a nato strap would cost as little as £45 p/month.  

Even if you could purchase one new at an AD, I highly doubt you would get interest free credit on a Rolex.

With regards to depreciation, the best thing you could do is chose a watch you truly love, keep it until you forget how to read the time, then pass it on to one of your kids (if you have any).  That’s when a good quality watch becomes something truly special.

ETA If your a bit worried about dropping quite so much £ on a Rolex or a Tudor you may wish to have a look at some of the Oris watches.  Have a look at their website, especially their Diver Sixty-Five range.

since reading this post I've been passing each shift at work looking at Tudor watches and have now decided I'm having one, was saving towards an omega speedy, but the more I look at the Tudor the more I've fallen in love with them!

Narrowed it down to the ones below, going to go to jewellers when get back to Aberdeen in a few days and try them on wrist.  i think it is between the BB58 and BB41mm 

Screenshot_20221224-195442.thumb.png.dfee9c63eb58d1e4873eece15fe24011.png

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

46 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

since reading this post I've been passing each shift at work looking at Tudor watches and have now decided I'm having one, was saving towards an omega speedy, but the more I look at the Tudor the more I've fallen in love with them!

Narrowed it down to the ones below, going to go to jewellers when get back to Aberdeen in a few days and try them on wrist.  i think it is between the BB58 and BB41mm 

Screenshot_20221224-195442.thumb.png.dfee9c63eb58d1e4873eece15fe24011.png

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  A few things that may be worth considering.

1) Try to buy whichever watch you decide to go for on a metal bracelet, rather than a leather strap - if that option is available).  The price difference is negligible when buying the watch but there is usually a big difference in price if you later want to add a metal bracelet v leather strap.  Also leather straps do need replaced from time to time and don’t mix well with water.

2) The BB58 925 will tarnish over time.  Tudor have added something to the silver alloy to try to prevent this but I understand it is not 100%.

3) Seems fairly certain Tudor will be introducing a 9% increase in January.  May be worth phoning the AD and seeing if you could secure the price now (they may just do that if they know you are a genuine buyer).

I think the original BB58 is the best of the bunch but I’m biased.  The original Pelagos is quite big so bear that in mind as well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

On 23/12/2022 at 17:10, Paxo said:

I go to Geneva a couple of times a year so was thinking I'll check them out there for pricing. I think the sales tax is reclaimable so might be more competitive.

Might be worth trying Bucherer, they have a couple of shops in Geneva.

Rolex was quietly at work on a plan to offer certified pre-owned watches to customers. This month, the watchmaker announced that anyone can now purchase a second-hand Rolex through Bucherer, the brand’s official retailer, in six European countries, with a certification and a guarantee. It’s a move that will quash the grey market and make birthdays easier.

I tried to buy a Rolex and fell into a grey market for luxe watches