Watches

27 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I like it.  Was the Earth the one you wanted?  Every time I’ve checked the Swatch store in Edinburgh and Glasgow the only one available was the Sun (which I declined).

Yeah , I liked the mission on earth one since release , they had 6 different types yesterday and the sales person said had full stock in morning. Didn't have Moon or Mercury , which I suspect are snapped up due to their likeness to the real deal. 

On 18/12/2022 at 11:23, Mr. Alli said:

Skagen have seriously dropped in price. You'd usually be looking at £120 - £200.

Found it on Amazon. 

image.thumb.png.62db77621ed60cd16eed1566e9ecc867.png

Edited by welshbairn

On 16/12/2022 at 10:21, Shadow Play said:

I like it.  Was the Earth the one you wanted?  Every time I’ve checked the Swatch store in Edinburgh and Glasgow the only one available was the Sun (which I declined).

I've someone looking to sell the Mission to Earth one for £275. 

23 hours ago, TxRover said:

Wondering about Vostok Amphibian classics (mechanical). They aren’t terribly expensive, but it’s a nice different item on the resale market in the £80-150 range. Anyone with any input?

Thought about buying one a few years ago, they've got a bit of a cult following. It's got a decent movement (strange wobbly stem on the crown) that I didn't like. Good value for money, but I don't like the overall design of them.

On 18/12/2022 at 20:21, TxRover said:

Wondering about Vostok Amphibian classics (mechanical). They aren’t terribly expensive, but it’s a nice different item on the resale market in the £80-150 range. Anyone with any input?

Both https://meranom.com and https://online.vostokinc.com (Vostok's own website) are normally quite reliable & sigificantly cheaper than UK sellers. I've never been stung for import duties or VAT from either.

However, I've not bought anything directly from either since the Ukraine stuff started, and my Командирские 650539 took months to be returned after a warranty repair just after the war started. It also doesn't help that the pound has dropped significantly against the Rouble during the last year or so.

ÐомандиÑÑкие 650539

As Biggie says, the wobbly crowns are a bit weird until you get used to them, and most of the straps are garbage apart from the mesh bracelets on meranom and some of the rubber or silicon efforts (I have the watch above on an aftermarket 20mm vostok mesh bracelet)

However, Russian watches are quite addictive. Vostok leads to Raketa, Poljot & Sturmanskie (and others). The WatchUSeek Russian forum is very instructive https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/russian-watches.10/ 

Edited by lichtgilphead

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

Both https://meranom.com and https://online.vostokinc.com (Vostok's own website) are normally quite reliable & sigificantly cheaper than UK sellers. I've never been stung for import duties or VAT from either.

However, I've not bought anything directly from either since the Ukraine stuff started, and my Командирские 650539 took months to be returned after a warranty repair just after the war started. It also doesn't help that the pound has dropped significantly against the Rouble during the last year or so.

I’m looking at third party resellers offering 1980’s and earlier mechanical models, nothing directly to do with Russia, but thanks to both you and @Bigmouth Strikes Again.

Just now, TxRover said:

I’m looking at third party resellers offering 1980’s and earlier mechanical models, nothing directly to do with Russia, but thanks to both you and @Bigmouth Strikes Again.

Have a look on WatchUSeek before buying then. There are a lot of fakes/frankens out there (especially the Ukranian sellers)

21 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've someone looking to sell the Mission to Earth one for £275. 

Cheers Mr A but I wouldn’t mind trying out the Moon, Mercury and Earth together to see which one looks best. Not sure though how long, if ever, it will be before they have them all for sale at the one time.

On a separate note, if anyone is considering buying a Tudor watch you may wish to move quickly.  Rumour has it that they are going to introduce an across the board price increase of about 9% in January.

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

ÐомандиÑÑкие 650539

As Biggie says, the wobbly crowns are a bit weird until you get used to them, and most of the straps are garbage apart from the mesh bracelets on meranom and some of the rubber or silicon efforts (I have the watch above on an aftermarket 20mm vostok mesh bracelet)

However, Russian watches are quite addictive. Vostok leads to Raketa, Poljot & Sturmanskie (and others). The WatchUSeek Russian forum is very instructive https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/russian-watches.10/ 

I like that one, nice GMT.

No scuba divers on the dial!

On 18/12/2022 at 11:23, Mr. Alli said:

Skagen have seriously dropped in price. You'd usually be looking at £120 - £200.

Just arrived, has 129 Euros on the price tag. Doubt I'll be wearing it much though, it's fucking huge, looks like a kitchen clock. Didn't pay attention to the case size on the listing..

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just arrived, has 129 Euros on the price tag. Doubt I'll be wearing it much though, it's fucking huge, looks like a kitchen clock. Didn't pay attention to the case size on the listing..

What size is it?  I thought it would only be about 40mm?*

*Although a 40mm relatively thin dress watch looks much larger than on the wrist than a 40mm dive watch.  I think a lot if that is due to the lack of rotating bezel on the dress watch. 

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

What size is it?  I thought it would only be about 40mm?*

*Although a 40mm relatively thin dress watch looks much larger than on the wrist than a 40mm dive watch.  I think a lot if that is due to the lack of rotating bezel on the dress watch. 

Yup, 41mm. Makes me look like I have tiny hands like Donald Trump. I'll no doubt get used to it, apart from that it looks great.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, 41mm. Makes me look like I have tiny hands like Donald Trump. I'll no doubt get used to it, apart from that it looks great.

I think you’ll be surprised just how quickly you will get used to it and love it.

The first decent watch I bought was a divers watch in the early ‘90s and that was only about 35mm.  It was the mid size of that model.  I thought it was huge at the time - have a look at old photos from the ‘80’s / early ‘90’s and you will see people wearing mostly small, thin watches.  Now my wife wears the watch.

My personal sweet spot is 38-42mm.