Watches

On 18/11/2022 at 10:57, jamamafegan said:

My 30th is round the corner and I’m being asked what I’d like. I’m thinking I would quite like a classy watch as an alternative to wear on a night out instead of my Apple Watch which I’m getting sick of having to constantly charge.

My preference is a silver watch, not a big fat one - something medium sized or smaller. I prefer simplistic designs and don’t want something elaborate with loads of dials/cogs showing. Something similar to the Chinese watch Biggie posted earlier would be decent.

Unsure what the watch buffs of this thread think about quartz vs mechanical and whether it matters. I think because I wouldn’t be wearing the watch daily I’d be better sticking with quartz as I’m under the impression mechanical watches benefit from regular wear.

Budget wise I’m not sure. Let’s say absolute max £400 but maybe something closer to 300 would be preferable as long as it’s not considered cheap and nasty.

Any advice much appreciated.

If you could stretch a wee bit further to the £440 mark the Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic is reduced from £550.

Absolutely cracking watch for that price. 

Screenshot_20221120-194404.png

Screenshot_20221120-194347.png

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

@Bigmouth Strikes Again what’re your views on the AnOrdain? I’ve been invited to out a deposit down. Worth it from an investment point of view?

Had to google them, alright looking dress watches, how much? Probably depreciate quite a bit second hand, so from an investment point of view would say no. The only watch you're really going to make money on is Rolex steel sports, apart from the real high end shit which none of us could afford.

Good to see a Scottish independant watch maker like this though, if you really like the watch, just go for it.

10 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Had to google them, alright looking dress watches, how much? Probably depreciate quite a bit second hand, so from an investment point of view would say no. The only watch you're really going to make money on is Rolex steel sports, apart from the real high end shit which none of us could afford.

Good to see a Scottish independant watch maker like this though, if you really like the watch, just go for it.

Somewhere in the region of £1500-£2000 the way the economy is at the moment.

ETA: Thank you!

Edited by mathematics

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Somewhere in the region of £1500-£2000 the way the economy is at the moment.

ETA: Thank you!

Looks like there's a big waiting list on them, that's a good sign.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

@Bigmouth Strikes Again what’re your views on the AnOrdain? I’ve been invited to out a deposit down. Worth it from an investment point of view?

It's all about the enamel dial  - which I think is beautiful in pretty much all their colours.  Well apart from green, of course.  I posted about them a couple of years back and would definitely consider them just because I like the look.  I'd not see it as an investment, though.

Their Model 1 in Iron Cream with a hand wound movement would be a cracking dress watch

910269036_Screenshot2022-11-2215_31_47.thumb.png.a5fa79931cf3bbc5aa4a46a57caef608.png

Edited by The_Kincardine

Been humming and hawing over whether to try and pick up a Pelagos to mix things up from the BB GMT.

Quite like the LHD version too but probably be a bit more difficult to source one compared to the normal version

Spoiler

M25610TNL-0001.jpg

Spoiler

2-094-02-0094_p.jpg

32 minutes ago, wellfan09 said:

Been humming and hawing over whether to try and pick up a Pelagos to mix things up from the BB GMT.

Quite like the LHD version too but probably be a bit more difficult to source one compared to the normal version

Hide contents

M25610TNL-0001.jpg

Hide contents

2-094-02-0094_p.jpg

First of all the BB GMT is a great watch.  Congratulations.  I assume you haven’t been hit with the date change problem?  From what I can gather the issue seems to have been resolved.

If it were me I’d go for the Pelagos 39mm.  I tried one on at the Tudor Boutique in Glasgow a month or two ago and it is a great watch.  Unfortunately it wasn’t for sale and there is already a massive wait list.  

ETA have you looked at the other two Pelagos in the range? Both are 42mm (just like the LHD) and are readily available. 

Edited by Shadow Play

14 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

First of all the BB GMT is a great watch.  Congratulations.  I assume you haven’t been hit with the date change problem?  From what I can gather the issue seems to have been resolved.

If it were me I’d go for the Pelagos 39mm.  I tried one on at the Tudor Boutique in Glasgow a month or two ago and it is a great watch.  Unfortunately it wasn’t for sale and there is already a massive wait list.  

ETA have you looked at the other two Pelagos in the range? Both are 42mm (just like the LHD) and are readily available. 

Love the blue on the rubber.

TUDOR Pelagos Rubber Blue 1