Watches

My 30th is round the corner and I’m being asked what I’d like. I’m thinking I would quite like a classy watch as an alternative to wear on a night out instead of my Apple Watch which I’m getting sick of having to constantly charge.

My preference is a silver watch, not a big fat one - something medium sized or smaller. I prefer simplistic designs and don’t want something elaborate with loads of dials/cogs showing. Something similar to the Chinese watch Biggie posted earlier would be decent.

Unsure what the watch buffs of this thread think about quartz vs mechanical and whether it matters. I think because I wouldn’t be wearing the watch daily I’d be better sticking with quartz as I’m under the impression mechanical watches benefit from regular wear.

Budget wise I’m not sure. Let’s say absolute max £400 but maybe something closer to 300 would be preferable as long as it’s not considered cheap and nasty.

Any advice much appreciated.

38 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

My 30th is round the corner and I’m being asked what I’d like. I’m thinking I would quite like a classy watch as an alternative to wear on a night out instead of my Apple Watch which I’m getting sick of having to constantly charge.

My preference is a silver watch, not a big fat one - something medium sized or smaller. I prefer simplistic designs and don’t want something elaborate with loads of dials/cogs showing. Something similar to the Chinese watch Biggie posted earlier would be decent.

Unsure what the watch buffs of this thread think about quartz vs mechanical and whether it matters. I think because I wouldn’t be wearing the watch daily I’d be better sticking with quartz as I’m under the impression mechanical watches benefit from regular wear.

Budget wise I’m not sure. Let’s say absolute max £400 but maybe something closer to 300 would be preferable as long as it’s not considered cheap and nasty.

For your budget It's got to be Seiko, check out the Seiko Presage line up.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Probably get a nice Citizen for that price.

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

For your budget It's got to be Seiko, check out the Seiko Presage line up.

Thank you.

Tissot’s Visodate range is pretty fucking stunning too, though I am a tad biased because I have one.

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Tissot’s Visodate range is pretty fucking stunning too, though I am a tad biased because I have one.

Yeah, equally as good, as long as he doesn't buy an Armani or Hugo Boss watch.

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

A Tissot PRX is £295.00.  Great value and a lovely looking watch.  Have a look at the reviews.

Although I personally prefer a mechanical watch there is absolutely nothing wrong with a quartz watch.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

100% agree you can’t go wrong with a Tudor, especially the Black Bay range.  Tudor has a great history and is superb quality.

How ya getting on with the 58 Shadow?

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

How ya getting on with the 58 Shadow?

Thank you.

Really enjoy wearing it and it flies under the radar unlike my Breitling Avenger Seawolf that has been (positively) commented on a good few times.  I’m looking to sell the Seawolf though.  Not sure the best way to go about it though and I’m not in any real rush to do so if truth be told.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Really enjoy wearing it and it flies under the radar unlike my Breitling Avenger Seawolf that has been (positively) commented on a good few times.  I’m looking to sell the Seawolf though.  Not sure the best way to go about it though and I’m not in any real rush to do so if truth be told.

Yeah, would be a minefield trying to punt it.

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Yeah, would be a minefield trying to punt it.

You’re not wrong.  I recently sold my Tissot T Touch on Gumtree and that went smoothly enough.

Reason for sale - the strap is 100% orange but too many people got it mixed up with a similar colour.  Very embarrassing when people assumed I supported a certain team!

20D858DC-0165-49AE-9CB2-CE9FD4C835C5.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I do know a gentleman (ex-coworker) here in the U.S. that deals in watches on the side, I could ask him if he has any interest in buying from UK, and that model, if you’d like.

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I do know a gentleman (ex-coworker) here in the U.S. that deals in watches on the side, I could ask him if he has any interest in buying from UK, and that model, if you’d like.

Very kind offer TR but I think I’ll probably stick to a UK sale whenever I decide to sell.  I’d imagine it just gets more complicated sending watches abroad.

Thanks again.

Edited by Shadow Play

26 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Very kind offer TR but I think I’ll probably stick to a UK sale whenever I decide to sell.  I’d imagine it just gets more complicated sending watches abroad.

Thanks again.

Yea, exactly why I asked…but he does a cracking business in buying and selling high end used watches…if you’re looking for something in particular, he might know someone in Europe too, like you, I don’t know the ins and outs of international sales/purchases. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

You’re not wrong.  I recently sold my Tissot T Touch on Gumtree and that went smoothly enough.

Reason for sale - the strap is 100% orange but too many people got it mixed up with a similar colour.  Very embarrassing when people assumed I supported a certain team!

20D858DC-0165-49AE-9CB2-CE9FD4C835C5.jpeg

It does my head in, love the orange straps, really sets off a watch, but cannot wear them because of the DAB connection, same as you.

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

It does my head in, love the orange straps, really sets off a watch, but cannot wear them because of the DAB connection, same as you.

Thank you.

This is the reason my wife bought me the dark blue Tag and not a bright tadgerine Breitling.

Mrs Dun kens.

13 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I got a watchmaking experience at Kartel in St Andrews for my 30th. I’m going to do it next weekend, so can’t yet comment on how good it is, but might be worth considering. My reasoning was exactly the same, I wear an apple watch day to day but want something nice for occasions.