Watches

Had my usual weekly swatch on Watchfinder today and noticed that a huge number of the IWC's listed have all had 10-20% removed from the asking price. Torn between buying one or seeing what else drops.

IMG_20220801_190437044.thumb.jpg.daec626bfee569e4c224104490a30b51.jpg

This was the old man's watch. Garrard automatic, early 70s I think 

I can remember him throwing it in the bin, he must have thought it was knackered. Anyway I fished it out the bin and kept it, it seemed a shame to throw it away.

If it was gold plated it would be worth 500 quid but slightly battered I think it's about £100 possibly. Better than nothing.

I might get it cleaned up and a strap put on, would look quite nice 

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20220801_190437044.thumb.jpg.daec626bfee569e4c224104490a30b51.jpg

This was the old man's watch. Garrard automatic, early 70s I think 

I can remember him throwing it in the bin, he must have thought it was knackered. Anyway I fished it out the bin and kept it, it seemed a shame to throw it away.

If it was gold plated it would be worth 500 quid but slightly battered I think it's about £100 possibly. Better than nothing.

I might get it cleaned up and a strap put on, would look quite nice 

Is it an automatic? running ok? Get it serviced and put a black leather strap on it, would look sound, that's the beauty of watch collecting, it's not the value, but the actual story behind the watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this Cartier Tank for my wife recently.  Size Large which is classed as unisex.

Wife has the Cartier leather strap with deployant clasp on order.  The strap and bracelet are easily interchangeable due to a neat slider button.

Once on a leather strap I’m considering borrowing it for a change of style or would that look be a bit too Jarvis Cocker?

ETA Jarvis Cocker is a regular wearer of a Cartier Tank. 

4E25CDEA-42E9-4F94-91B2-9A30BAD2CDC6.jpeg

Edited by Shadow Play

Going to look at a couple of watches next week, both Omega Aqua Terra’s, one 38mm the other 41mm. Prefer the larger one but probably suit the smaller one, will see how they look when I try them on. Either way I am taking one of them.

40 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Going to look at a couple of watches next week, both Omega Aqua Terra’s, one 38mm the other 41mm. Prefer the larger one but probably suit the smaller one, will see how they look when I try them on. Either way I am taking one of them.

For what it’s worth I think your making a better choice than any IWC watch you were previously thinking about.  I’m just not that keen on IWC watches.  Sorry.

The AT is a great looking watch.  I would go 41mm if you are planning on wearing the watch in more casual settings and 38mm if more for formal settings.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Bought this Cartier Tank for my wife recently.  Size Large which is classed as unisex.

Wife has the Cartier leather strap with deployant clasp on order.  The strap and bracelet are easily interchangeable due to a neat slider button.

Once on a leather strap I’m considering borrowing it for a change of style or would that look be a bit too Jarvis Cocker?

You can never be a bit too Jarvis Cocker my friend. Lovely watch btw 

8 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

For what it’s worth I think your making a better choice than any IWC watch you were previously thinking about.  I’m just not that keen on IWC watches.  Sorry.

The AT is a great looking watch.  I would go 41mm if you are planning on wearing the watch in more casual settings and 38mm if more for formal settings.

I tried a couple of IWC’s on a few weeks ago, both looked and felt significantly bigger on my wrist than they looked like they should. Has put me off a bit but i still think they are fantastic looking watches.

13 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Beautiful, if I was going for a watch that size it would need to be the JLC Reverso. The Cartier Santos is a stunner, you should go for that Shadow. IMO.

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Beautiful, if I was going for a watch that size it would need to be the JLC Reverso. The Cartier Santos is a stunner, you should go for that Shadow. IMO.

JLC Reverso is possibly one of the nicest dress watches out there Biggie.  

I can definitely see me buying the Santos in the future when all is well.

Had a look around all the designer watch places in Paris at the weekend. It was good to see these watches in the flesh rather than just pictures. Possibly the best of the lot - Rolex, Tudor, Cartier, Panerai, Hublot, Patek Phillipe, Omega, Breitling, Tag etc were the Breguet in my opinion. They had a style, scale and finish that blew the others away.  This one was just gorgeous - £50,000

7597BB/GY/9WU

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Had a look around all the designer watch places in Paris at the weekend. It was good to see these watches in the flesh rather than just pictures. Possibly the best of the lot - Rolex, Tudor, Cartier, Panerai, Hublot, Patek Phillipe, Omega, Breitling, Tag etc were the Breguet in my opinion. They had a style, scale and finish that blew the others away.  This one was just gorgeous - £50,000

7597BB/GY/9WU

I watched a video the other day with teddy baldassarre on the breguet 

Edited by greendot

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Very smart indeed.  I take it you went for the 41mm?

Yeah. Just need to decide now if I go for the rubber strap, which looks surprisingly good on this watch, or leave it as it is.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

757e8ca0-aacd-4929-9853-b71ca3f26a10_tex

Don’t be too jealous. I now have to pray for a mild winter or the family will freeze to death while I sit mesmerized, watching the movement on this thing.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have any information on Hamilton watches?

Been offered one for X amount but at that price point I'd rather just chuck the extra couple of hundred and get a Farer.

Ideally holding out for a Panerai but trying to save up for that when there are so many (apparently excellent) superclones going about is looking less appealing. Maybe get a Rado.

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Does anybody have any information on Hamilton watches?

Been offered one for X amount but at that price point I'd rather just chuck the extra couple of hundred and get a Farer.

Ideally holding out for a Panerai but trying to save up for that when there are so many (apparently excellent) superclones going about is looking less appealing. Maybe get a Rado.

Hamilton are good especially their field watches. Hamilton Khaki is a classic. I would just keep saving for the Panerai, you're right about the fakes, years ago there was a load of them, because Panerai made it too easy to copy them. The superclones coming out of China now are a different story though, you need to be a true expert/watchmaker to tell the difference. If you buy from a reputable dealer though there is no probs, also don't buy a Panerai brand new!