Watches

Good thread. My normal d2d watches are more of the sports variety - just upgraded to a Garmin Fenix 6 a few months ago, it is great.

However, this thread is probably more interested in the Omega Constellation I was left by my dad. It is 1960s, a lovely watch, a good size for me as its quite small and my wrists are not massive - but gold really isnt for me. If it was in SS I would definitely wear it at formal occasions etc.

IMG_20160428_085919.jpg

IMG_20160428_085915.jpg

IMG_20160428_085927.jpg

On 18/02/2022 at 19:09, glasgow_bairn said:

So I recently bought an Apple Watch for general work use and fitness based activities.
So I was looking at dual watch winders for my two automatics. Has anyone got any thoughts on these contraptions? Are they worth it or is it just easier to wind the watches every few days when not in use for prolonged periods.
If anyone does have one, what models are decent, like I say I’m looking for one that will hold/Store two watches.

Got this one Xtelary, they do a two watch version as well.

XTELARY Ebony 4+6 Watch Winder (R2462EB) - buy XTELARY Ebony 4+6 Watch  Winder (R2462EB): prices, reviews | Zoodmall

Looks great in piano black, never really use the winders though, they are only really worthwhile if you've got something like a grand complication Patek, that would be a pain to reset if it stopped.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Good thread. My normal d2d watches are more of the sports variety - just upgraded to a Garmin Fenix 6 a few months ago, it is great.

However, this thread is probably more interested in the Omega Constellation I was left by my dad. It is 1960s, a lovely watch, a good size for me as its quite small and my wrists are not massive - but gold really isnt for me. If it was in SS I would definitely wear it at formal occasions etc.

IMG_20160428_085919.jpg

IMG_20160428_085915.jpg

IMG_20160428_085927.jpg

Very nice classic piece, could you not fit a black leather/alligator strap to it? Would tone down the bling a bit, and look superb. IMO.

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

IMG_20160428_085919.jpg

IMG_20160428_085915.jpg

IMG_20160428_085927.jpg

Looks like a quick release strap there. As BSA says get onto watchgecko and they’ve got loads of straps there at great prices. Just get the measure on your existing strap. Might be 19 or 20mm.

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Very nice classic piece, could you not fit a black leather/alligator strap to it? Would tone down the bling a bit, and look superb. IMO.

Just now, Big Rider said:

Looks like a quick release strap there. As BSA says get onto watchgecko and they’ve got loads of straps there at great prices. Just get the measure on your existing strap. Might be 19 or 20mm.

Thanks both, great suggestions, ta !

IMG_20160428_085919.thumb.jpg.29adcb8e3cccf7a45e9a83894bdae170.jpg
IMG_20160428_085915.thumb.jpg.a15bbd9762fa0df7bdf584bdf33f39ff.jpg
IMG_20160428_085927.thumb.jpg.2b361ad1bb403996851bf4afe116e039.jpg

It not a bad looking watch, just a tacky dated strap that spoils the look. A nice leather one black or brown would make it look way better.

On 26/02/2022 at 07:55, Leith Green said:

IMG_20160428_085919.jpg

IMG_20160428_085915.jpg

IMG_20160428_085927.jpg

Lovely watch with a great 70s vibe.   If you are going to start wearing it (if it was me I definitely would), and assuming it is an automatic or manual wind watch, I would consider having it serviced first.  I would imagine by now the oils within the watch will have significantly dried out.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Present from wife -

Panerai.thumb.jpg.ded9e5b9ae56537b86c64121ef7d6d5a.jpg

Nice present to get!

Personally i can't get into Panerai watches purely from the point of the crown guard / lever.  Fully understand why its there but its distracts me far too much.  Lovely nonetheless.

After years of wearing shite watches, fitbits, garmins and fashion watches finally stepping into the big leagues with a watch worthy of this thread. 

41mm white gold datejust. 

10th Wedding anniversary gift from the Mrs and I have to say I love it! 

IMG_20211024_145111.thumb.jpg.f3bda17bcd7db034035e7dcfe34264fc.jpg

26 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

After years of wearing shite watches, fitbits, garmins and fashion watches finally stepping into the big leagues with a watch worthy of this thread. 

41mm white gold datejust. 

10th Wedding anniversary gift from the Mrs and I have to say I love it! 

IMG_20211024_145111.thumb.jpg.f3bda17bcd7db034035e7dcfe34264fc.jpg

Love the fluted bezel.  A classic watch, if ever there was one.

The only thing is I can never decide whether I prefer the jubilee bracelet or the oyster bracelet with the DJ41.  I wish Rolex would let people buy the extra bracelet if they wanted (I don’t think that option is available, at least in the UK).

12 hours ago, greendot said:

Nice present to get!

Personally i can't get into Panerai watches purely from the point of the crown guard / lever.  Fully understand why its there but its distracts me far too much.  Lovely nonetheless.

vp3662-Original-Panerai-Radiomir-3-days-Full-Set-Box-Papers-PAM-00504-PAM00504-BLACK-OP6814-8.jpg

10 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Love the fluted bezel.  A classic watch, if ever there was one.

The only thing is I can never decide whether I prefer the jubilee bracelet or the oyster bracelet with the DJ41.  I wish Rolex would let people buy the extra bracelet if they wanted (I don’t think that option is available, at least in the UK).

My thinking was its a classic watch, it never going to go out of style and I plan on having it for a number of years, although it's definitely started something in that I really want to add to the collection! 

37 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

My thinking was its a classic watch, it never going to go out of style and I plan on having it for a number of years, although it's definitely started something in that I really want to add to the collection! 

An excellent investment as well, paid £4,600 for my datejust ll (no white gold bezel though) about 5 years ago now going for 7,500, 8,000. Definitely addictive though, I've had to stop at eleven pieces, couldn't mentally cope with any more.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

An excellent investment as well, paid £4,600 for my datejust ll (no white gold bezel though) about 5 years ago now going for 7,500, 8,000. Definitely addictive though, I've had to stop at eleven pieces, couldn't mentally cope with any more.

Thank you.

Apologies for jumping into the thread.

How often do you wear it in order to keep it looking good and therefore valuable?

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Apologies for jumping into the thread.

How often do you wear it in order to keep it looking good and therefore valuable?

Wear it roughly about 5 days a month, and am really careful with all my watches, however the bracelet on the Rolex is an absolute scratch magnet as Albert is away to find out, the high polish on the centre links shows up everything, a light professional polish though would get rid of that. In saying that, vintage Rolex sports models (submariners) can be worth more all scratched to f**k, as collectors like them untouched/unpolished.