Watches

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We should have a pedant's corner on P&B like Private Eye have. As James V's mum was Henry VIII's sister I suppose he was the first Tudor (or half Tudor) King of Scotland.

Tudor are nice looking watches though. I think I might save up for one. And Biggie for King!

If you do go for a Tudor I don’t think you will be disappointed TTB.  The original BB58 wears great.  

4CBAE8AB-1838-42D3-8B6F-28FF983995DC.jpeg

Looking to gauge some opinions of those in the know on the Rado Captain Cook Automatic.

https://www.rado.com/en_gb/collections/captain-cook/captain-cook/R32105313

It's listed as £1900 but have 20% off at EJ and GS bringing it into the £1500 mark.

I'm leaning towards this or the Oris Aquis Date.

On 13/05/2021 at 18:21, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Finally hunted down the Golden Turtle. Seiko SRPC44.

seiko.thumb.jpg.49ca9260069f480ca0fbe40873a0f6b4.jpg

seiko1.thumb.jpg.b07913db48edd0f396c35f73da7115e9.jpg

Well pleased. Thank you.

Just as a matter of interest i popped onto Chrono44 to look at this watch again. I know you didn't buy it to make money off it but it's gone up in price quite nicely 8)

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/ref-srpc44.htm

1 hour ago, greendot said:

Just as a matter of interest i popped onto Chrono44 to look at this watch again. I know you didn't buy it to make money off it but it's gone up in price quite nicely 8)

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/ref-srpc44.htm

Cheers for that, they are hard to get, had a look on ebay only one, from Japan £644, don't know if you would need to pay tax on it as well. 

24 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Cheers for that, they are hard to get, had a look on ebay only one, from Japan £644, don't know if you would need to pay tax on it as well. 

For the price point on that watch from when you bought yours to rise 20 -25% in such a short space of time is quite impressive 👍🏻

15 minutes ago, greendot said:

For the price point on that watch from when you bought yours to rise 20 -25% in such a short space of time is quite impressive 👍🏻

My Datejust is better, gone up by 3k in the 4 or 5 years I've had it. Crazy prices for Rolex now.

36 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

My Datejust is better, gone up by 3k in the 4 or 5 years I've had it. Crazy prices for Rolex now.

I reckon Rolex are a different kettle of fish though.  Because they've restricted production the sought after models have gone completely nuts and the 'lesser' models are being hoovered up at inflated prices now cos of the Instagram generation creating hype over the brand.  If i had the chance to buy a Rolex around the time you got yours it may have appealed but these days i wouldn't go near one.

51 minutes ago, greendot said:

I reckon Rolex are a different kettle of fish though.  Because they've restricted production the sought after models have gone completely nuts and the 'lesser' models are being hoovered up at inflated prices now cos of the Instagram generation creating hype over the brand.  If i had the chance to buy a Rolex around the time you got yours it may have appealed but these days i wouldn't go near one.

Agree, totally overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...

So after much consideration I have decided to go for the Oris Aquis.

About to start negotiations with the seller on Chrono UK and see if we can agree a price. Its from 2020 and from the videos they have sent is in mint condition. Screenshot_20211001_114636_com.huawei.android.internal.app.jpgScreenshot_20211001_114632_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

About to start negotiations with the seller on Chrono UK and see if we can agree a price. Its from 2020 and from the videos they have sent is in mint condition. Screenshot_20211001_114636_com.huawei.android.internal.app.jpgScreenshot_20211001_114632_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

Nice, ceramic bezel? How much? If you don't mind me asking.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm not at all a watch fan but that's very, very smart. 

• 5 weeks later...

So after missing out on the Oris Aquis Date used on chrono24.

I decided to bite bullet and buy brand new. This actually worked out better as turns out a store card I have gives me a 20% discount in Goldsmiths and Oris is included. So saved £320.

It arrived yesterdday and I love it IMG_20211031_153835.jpgIMG_20211031_112846.jpg

Significant birthday coming and Mrs a-p was determined to treat me. Cue much online searching and twisting of melon. 

Decided I’m a wee bit past pretending to be some sort of diver or James Bond but I do think I can make a reasonable fist of being an urbane man about town so settled on: 

13FA177D-04C4-4CC0-A6CE-1B2AC7789F22.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge watch connoisseur like most but are Tissot any good? I asked my maw for a Rolex for my Birthday but she's a pensioner and I might be ripping the pish. This one's around £300, not fussed about the inner workings  etc.. But just would like a decent looking watch 

image.thumb.png.35f65da996c577460140577232e26566.png

9 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Not a huge watch connoisseur like most but are Tissot any good? I asked my maw for a Rolex for my Birthday but she's a pensioner and I might be ripping the pish. This one's around £300, not fussed about the inner workings  etc.. But just would like a decent looking watch 

image.thumb.png.35f65da996c577460140577232e26566.png

It's your inheritance anyway, get her telt.