Watches

8 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm the market for a new watch and have a budget of around £1200. This will be my first time spending a decent chunk on a watch so just wondering what those in the know would recommend

I notice you’ve said later that you fancy a chronograph.  Great to have one but remember servicing / repair costs for a chronograph are slightly higher.

I honestly think the watch below is the best value watch out there right now.  It’s not to everyone’s taste but I think they look fantastic.  Somehow reminds me of a cross between an Rolex Oysterquartz and an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

0D648BE6-BCCA-4E03-A9FE-6D4BEC12DD28.jpeg

2 hours ago, Meldrew said:

never routinely wore a watch for almost 3 decades, unlike the kids of today, i don't have a mobile, so i get the time from the clock in my house, and the car, as the only time i need to be accurate with time is hospital appointments.

You obviously worked as a delivery driver, plumber or gas fitter 

"I'll be there between 9 and 10 in the morning"

"What do you mean you've been waiting hours, my car clock shows that it's only 9.45 am"

Although £1200 is a load of cash, anything you buy in that price range is going to plummet in terms of value, as soon as you buy it. I would keep saving and try and get close to £3000, for that kind of money you can get something really special, like an Omega moonwatch, or a Tudor, these will hold their value, and you can get your money back in the future, should you need the funds. Just my opinion though.
What case diameter would you recommend?

36 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
On 08/09/2021 at 13:39, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
Although £1200 is a load of cash, anything you buy in that price range is going to plummet in terms of value, as soon as you buy it. I would keep saving and try and get close to £3000, for that kind of money you can get something really special, like an Omega moonwatch, or a Tudor, these will hold their value, and you can get your money back in the future, should you need the funds. Just my opinion though.

What case diameter would you recommend?

Depends on the size of your wrist, mines are average, (6 1/2 inch) I like 40mm to 42mm size in watches.

On 08/09/2021 at 12:55, dundeefc1783 said:
On 08/09/2021 at 12:01, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
What kind? Sports watch, dress watch, chronograph?
Thank you.

Thinking a chronograph

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/junghans/junghans-meister-chronoscope--id20593534.htm

Although second hand, it may fit the bill?  Through a dealer as well (i filtered out the private sellers on Chrono24)

57 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Been having a look on Chrono24 and was wondering what this would have cost when new?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tagheuer/-5-wak2111ba0830--id20520191.htm

Over 2 grand, dropped half its value in 3 years.

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Wow I now see what you mean about the value plummeting.

As a starter watch for some looking to putt together a modest collection do you think something like that is a decent deal?

Yeah, for the price it's decent, don't buy a new one though! My advice would be go for a Tudor, have a look at the catalogue, see what you like, and check out the prices new and on the grey market. It's basically a Rolex.

Yeah, for the price it's decent, don't buy a new one though! My advice would be go for a Tudor, have a look at the catalogue, see what you like, and check out the prices new and on the grey market. It's basically a Rolex.

Thanks for the advice.

I Never factored in import duty and Vat with it being from outwith the UK. Every days a school day.

20 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Biggy is the First Tudor King of Scotland.

We should have a pedant's corner on P&B like Private Eye have. As James V's mum was Henry VIII's sister I suppose he was the first Tudor (or half Tudor) King of Scotland.

Tudor are nice looking watches though. I think I might save up for one. And Biggie for King!

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We should have a pedant's corner on P&B like Private Eye have. As James V's mum was Henry VIII's sister I suppose he was the first Tudor (or half Tudor) King of Scotland.

Tudor are nice looking watches though. I think I might save up for one. And Biggie for King!

Ha!  I thought about doing a fact-check after I posted but thought, "Naw.  No one will bother".  Should have known better!

BTW I saw someone suggested crowdfunding a Scottish satirical/investigative rag  and calling it Private Aye.  Doubt he was serious and just wanted to publicise his joke.  I laughed anyway.