Watches

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

The maxi case 116610 is 40mm of near perfection.  Great choice and the bracelet adjustment is the icing on the cake.

The new 126610 is 41mm and is worth looking at if you get the chance.

I’m on the list for the new green bezel sub, it could be a long wait! I still wake up screaming at the fact that I sold my 2004 sub Kermit for £4K!!!! 
I needed to free up funds for a roof repair, seemed like a good idea at the time. How wrong was I? I should have just gone and got a loan. Hey ho! Hindsight and all that!

15 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I’m on the list for the new green bezel sub, it could be a long wait! I still wake up screaming at the fact that I sold my 2004 sub Kermit for £4K!!!! 
I needed to free up funds for a roof repair, seemed like a good idea at the time. How wrong was I? I should have just gone and got a loan. Hey ho! Hindsight and all that!

A very nice watch for wearing to Easter Road!  Is your AD Laings or Hamilton & Inches?

6 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

A very nice watch for wearing to Easter Road!  Is your AD Laings or Hamilton & Inches?

Laings, I’ve built up a good relationship with them. Green Bezel will be just fine at Easter Road! Whoever your local AD is, the advice that I was given many years ago is that, if you get the call....say yes! 
Otherwise you’ll not be getting a call again! I wasn’t really looking for an s/s sub but I’m very grateful that I got the call. I absolutely love the watch.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Money no object. What's everyone's 'grail piece'? I'm going for the platinum Daytona. Thank you.

Image result for rolex platinum daytona

Nice choice Biggie.  I really can’t decide between these two.  Just goes to show, despite what some people think, it’s not all about the money.  Plenty watches are far more expensive than the grail watches chosen so far.

CBC173D7-B10D-4A93-9E01-B60566B5B9AD.jpeg

BF9B81C3-1C56-481A-9D25-B5E3BDACE950.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Nice choice Biggie.  I really can’t decide between these two.  Just goes to show, despite what some people think, it’s not all about the money.  Plenty watches are far more expensive than the grail watches chosen so far.

CBC173D7-B10D-4A93-9E01-B60566B5B9AD.jpeg

BF9B81C3-1C56-481A-9D25-B5E3BDACE950.jpeg

Lovely, that rose gold is perfection. Patek.....a classic.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Money no object. What's everyone's 'grail piece'? I'm going for the platinum Daytona. Thank you.

Nice choice, Biggy, but I couldn't have 'one watch to rule them all' so I'm using my own rules and, for less than your Daytona, these three would leave me never needing another watch:

The daily wearer.  Ultra accurate, beautifully finished and easy to wear.  I'd go for a Grand Seiko quartz 37mm - but I'd put it on black NATO or a single-piece brown leather strap.  £2,000 and a bargain.

675378501_GSQuartz.JPG.b7fd2c86e205308ab56f19680b7521eb.JPG

For wedding and funerals every gent of a certain age needs a plain gold watch.  This Piaget Altiplano in rose gold is luscious but not so much a bargain at £14,000 though you can get a two-handed used one for £8,000

piaget.JPG.1cfc307706ece8829a3602d3a08138f3.JPG

For days when you feel like a change and I know you have one but the Speedmaster is a watch icon.  However, I don't like big watches and I wouldn't want an automatic watch that I'm not wearing every day so this 40mm hand wound First Omega in Space hits the spot for me at £4,000.

omega.JPG.678e2c07019182aba6d2320f4b7d6052.JPG

Edited by The_Kincardine

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nice choice, Biggy, but I couldn't have 'one watch to rule them all' so I'm using my own rules and, for less than your Daytona, these three would leave me never needing another watch:

The daily wearer.  Ultra accurate, beautifully finished and easy to wear.  I'd go for a Grand Seiko quartz 37mm - but I'd put it on black NATO or a single-piece brown leather strap.  £2,000 and a bargain.

For wedding and funerals every gent of a certain age needs a plain gold watch.  This Piaget Altiplano in rose gold is luscious but not so much a bargain at £14,000 though you can get a two-handed used one for £8,000

For days when you feel like a change and I know you have one but the Speedmaster is a watch icon.  However, I don't like big watches and I wouldn't want an automatic watch that I'm not wearing every day so this 40mm hand wound First Omega in Space hits the spot for me at £4,000.

Might have guessed you’d go for the treble 😉  

The Omega Speedmaster really is a great choice. 

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

That Piaget watch is indeed a fantastic looking watch.

Forget the people carrier, mate.  I just checked Watchfinder and you can get this beauty- probably more striking than the one I posted - for £9,000:

piaget2.JPG.dca62992b215df1c28bd06648d26d77e.JPG

6 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Might have guessed you’d go for the treble 😉  

The Omega Speedmaster really is a great choice. 

Usually, on a Friday evening, I'm accused of going for doubles 😎

12 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Say what you like about the hammer of the tartan gonks, excellent taste in watches. Miles better than some of the horrible gaudy monstrosities others have posted on this thread over time. The Piaget in particular is lovely as mentioned. 

At a slightly lower price point, ever since Mondaine was posted a few months back I've been getting ads online for them after visiting their site. Very tempting.

A660.30360.16SBB-C80-_2019_720x.jpg

I'm selling mine after it randomly started losing time. Like, 1/2 an hour a day! New battery so not that. 

38 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Forget the people carrier, mate.  I just checked Watchfinder and you can get this beauty- probably more striking than the one I posted - for £9,000:

I’ll settle for the Carrera I bought last week for the time being. Sadly, I’m not quite ready to add a 0 to the budget I was working from!

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Great choices, I must agree, you need a minimum of three!

59 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Anybody else think of the American Psycho business card scene whenever they read this thread?

Not that scene, but the one where he's in bed with the two prostitutes....................

"DON'T TOUCH THE WATCH"