Watches

1 minute ago, 2lgm said:

Wear it all the time and in water either pool or the beach so water integrity is a must. Cheers

Understand. Despite having some decent watches I have never had any serviced as such. My 2 Cartier watches are 19 years old and 30 years old and still going strong. I am sure you can still get a battery with the seal protected for less than £250. Good luck. 

I would enquire with smaller jewellers for sure. 

36 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Wife got me a Tag formula1 for my 50th. Had it coming up on 4 years so expecting I’ll have to service and change battery soon. Priced a service with jewellers where it was bought - Beaverbrooks who quoted £250. Can any of you guys advise if this is the standard kinda cost for this or is it OTT. Not sure if an independent authorised dealer/jeweller would be a better option.

Rather than going to Beaverbrooks, might be worth taking a look at a service centre and cut out the middle man as it were.  Based on your Airdrie location https://store.tagheuer.com/search?country=gb&query=ML6+8QZ   (Airdrie Stadium!) there's other jewellers that are offical outlets that may price things better?  Either that or it's just the price they charge.  I'm sure for my Longines watches they are either £180 or £380 for a full service.  I've not actually used one yet but i have to get one watch reset as the date changes at 5am since i wound it outwith the recommended time slot.

I have only realised this thread exists ! 

This and the TV / Film thread 👏

Never ventured further than the football related threads on all time I have been on P&B. 

Have a weakness for watches for some time. My current collection below: 

Favourite colour is Orange of course ! 

05D80783-56E1-4BAB-83F8-9266E9984CB3.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Really like the look of the Panerai but whatever that is bottom right set it on fire my man. 

It is a Corum Bubble watch. They do a range with different faces. Some very collectible. This is based on what they put on the noses of the Bomber planes in Second World War. There were 2 versions - a shark and a tiger. I have the Tiger. One of my favourites for sure but I get where u r coming from 🙂 

The second hand is a propeller 😉

Edited by welldaft

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

I have only realised this thread exists ! 

This and the TV / Film thread 👏

Never ventured further than the football related threads on all time I have been on P&B. 

Have a weakness for watches for some time. My current collection below: 

Favourite colour is Orange of course ! 

05D80783-56E1-4BAB-83F8-9266E9984CB3.jpeg

Panerai and Cartier......very nice.

20 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Panerai and Cartier......very nice.

8 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Yup, they are cracking watches.

Thanks. 

Due to Covid I am on a sabbatical until next year probably.  Shame as I tended to wear the Cartier watches when I was suited and booted. 

Having 8+ watches and only being able to wear one at a time is creating a dilemma. Do I sell a couple ? 

I am leaning towards the Cartier’s as I am more into chunkier watches these days despite having a small wrist. 

Leaning towards Chrono24. Has anyone sold or bought on that site before ? 

Edited by welldaft

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Understand. Despite having some decent watches I have never had any serviced as such. My 2 Cartier watches are 19 years old and 30 years old and still going strong. I am sure you can still get a battery with the seal protected for less than £250. Good luck. 

I would enquire with smaller jewellers for sure. 

Try Martin's of Glasgow on Maryhill Rd. They do all the top Swiss brands like Cartier, Omega etc...

On 26/08/2020 at 14:12, tamthebam said:

Is that not in tribute to the swiss railway station clocks they seem to be based on? Certainly the clocks in German stations have that clunk as described. 

swiss-railway-clock-scaled.thumb.jpg.9e5373e3ac22670cb829b65f15ea7b2c.jpg

On 26/08/2020 at 14:18, NewBornBairn said:

Aye, they're the same manufacturers I think. 

Bought my youngest brother one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Decent watches and look very smart. As above, Mondaine supply the clocks for the Swiss rail service, and they are noted for their weird movement which sees the second hand pause for a couple of seconds every time it’s gets back to the top. Not sure the newer watches have the same movement though.

My favourite thing about them is that they successfully sued Apple a few years back after the launch of the first of their smart watches, as one of the designs used was basically a rip off of that clock face.

33 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Thanks. 

Due to Covid I am on a sabbatical until next year probably.  Shame as I tended to wear the Cartier watches when I was suited and booted. 

Having 8+ watches and only being able to wear one at a time is creating a dilemma. Do I sell a couple ? 

I am leaning towards the Cartier’s as I am more into chunkier watches these days despite having a small wrist. 

Leaning towards Chrono24. Has anyone sold or bought on that site before ? 

I've got 8 as well, watch box holds ten so need to get another 3 (one on the wrist and fill the box) not going for any more than eleven. Chrono24 is safe, as your money is held in a separate account until you're satisfied with the watch.

This will be the next one, but the prices are going up (increased by a couple of hundred since I last looked)😕

Hands-On: The Seiko Prospex SRPC44, A Healthy Dose Of Golden Nostalgia -  HODINKEE

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I've got 8 as well, watch box holds ten so need to get another 3 (one on the wrist and fill the box) not going for any more than eleven. Chrono24 is safe, as your money is held in a separate account until you're satisfied with the watch.

This will be the next one, but the prices are going up (increased by a couple of hundred since I last looked)😕

Hands-On: The Seiko Prospex SRPC44, A Healthy Dose Of Golden Nostalgia -  HODINKEE

Is that Gold on a Seiko ? Looks smart for sure. 

I wish I had thought of the idea of Chrono24. They must be raking it in.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/11/2020 at 23:31, KingRocketman II said:

bought myself this the other day. I liked Instrmnt's earlier waches with the focus on sleek minimalism. I really like that it has no labels or insignia on i

image.png.46fa3eb2e581d3a6038bc729c485c26a.png

MTY1MzY1MTMwMTM2MTM1MDcz.webp 18.3 kB · 1 download

as mentioned, ended up buying one of Instrmnt's Diver's watches and stuck a NATO strap on it:

IMG_8488.JPG

On 16/11/2020 at 08:17, wellfan09 said:

Picked this up yesterday. Had originally planned on getting one in March/April time but obviously everything went tits up with coronavirus! With a few months of unemployment it was very much on the back burner but one new job later and a couple of phone calls out of the blue this weekend and here we are! 

CCAF4432-4AA4-48E4-A12E-BF6F972CB003.jpeg

Superb choice.  It’s definitely got a 5 digit Rolex GMT vibe about it.  Love the snowflake hour hand.