Watches

On 21/07/2020 at 14:54, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Anyone any thoughts on the "Hybrid" smartwatches? Wouldn't want an apple watch etc myself but some of the specs would be really handy in a day to day watch. Really liking the look of this in particular

https://us.kronaby.com/nord/46-nord-38mm.html 

nord-38mm.jpg

Not a big watch guy - got a bog standard casio for a stopwatch, a skagen pretty similar to above that I got with money family gave me for my 21st as a day to day, and had a nice citizen gold/silver strap one that was nicked when I got mugged (was a graduation present from my parents so I still feel guilty about it). As I say, I'm curious about the above but happy to be told they're a waste of time.   

Like the idea and look, but my phone's not busy enough to make it worthwhile. 

Other brand here.

Edited by welshbairn

29 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Has anyone done any watch building? I see that Kartel have a watch building 'experience', but I can't tell whether it's just picking out a strap and sticking it together.

Yup, built a watch from scratch (pics a few pages back). It's not particularly difficult if you have the right tools and a steady hand (placing the hands is the only tricky bit). I don't know about the "experience" Kartel offer, but I'd imagine that they would be able to oversee a full build, as all the bits they stock will be compatible and it's a stock movement. 

I'm away to do a dial swap (when the new one arrives) on one watch and a hand swap on another. It should only take about half an hour to do both. 

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Has anyone done any watch building? I see that Kartel have a watch building 'experience', but I can't tell whether it's just picking out a strap and sticking it together.

I was booked in with them before the lockdown happened. Got a refund then they threw £25 on the price - and for the watch I wanted to build I'd still have to put something like £70 in on the day. 

Picked the watch I was going to build up in the sale for £90 and another on eBay for about £20.

The 'experience' is to last 2 hours - that includes getting signed in, getting a wee tour, building the watch and then your drinks at the end. 

At £100 it seemed decent but when I actually broke it down I was to be ~£200. Nae chance.

3 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Yes, I like the way the minute hand clunks to the next number as the second hand sweeps round past the 12.

Is that not in tribute to the swiss railway station clocks they seem to be based on? Certainly the clocks in German stations have that clunk as described. 

swiss-railway-clock-scaled.thumb.jpg.9e5373e3ac22670cb829b65f15ea7b2c.jpg

Had my name on the list for a Tudor BB58 with a number of ADs for some time.  Got the phone call from one just before lockdown hit.  Had to wait until lockdown eased so picked it up a couple of months ago.  

Loving it.  Really does wear like a five digit Sub.  Great vintage vibe about it.

46BEC8E7-7796-4659-9407-EF5D444311D7.jpeg

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Had my name on the list for a Tudor BB58 with a number of ADs for some time.  Got the phone call from one just before lockdown hit.  Had to wait until lockdown eased so picked it up a couple of months ago.  

Loving it.  Really does wear like a five digit Sub.  Great vintage vibe about it.

46BEC8E7-7796-4659-9407-EF5D444311D7.jpeg

Great choice Shadow, everyone loves that one, pretty close to perfection, enjoy!

13 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Great choice Shadow, everyone loves that one, pretty close to perfection, enjoy!

That one looks so much better than the blue one they released recently , that just looks dull as dishwater.

6 hours ago, saint dave said:

That one looks so much better than the blue one they released recently , that just looks dull as dishwater.

Thanks.

Yeh, the BB58 looks a bit ‘cold’ to me but I’d still like to see it in person.   Now, if it was a dark navy blue, that would make it near perfect for match days 🤣

15 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Cheers Shadow, get your Black Bay on a nato.

Thank you.

Funny you should say that Biggie.  When I bought the BB58 the sales assistant showed me the BB Bronze on a nato.  Looked great so I ordered the BB58 nato as well.  

Still to swap it over though.  Never actually swapped straps myself .  Always taken them back to the AD to swap them over.  About time I learned to do that myself.  Will need to watch a few You Tube tutorials I think 🤣

Probably wait until next summer though.  Can’t beat the chilled out look of a nato in the warmer weather 👍

2AE061E3-55AF-43E5-8BCA-A4A0E0277FBD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Funny you should say that Biggie.  When I bought the BB58 the sales assistant showed me the BB Bronze on a nato.  Looked great so I ordered the BB58 nato as well.  

Still to swap it over though.  Never actually swapped straps myself .  Always taken them back to the AD to swap them over.  About time I learned to do that myself.  Will need to watch a few You Tube tutorials I think 🤣

Probably wait until next summer though.  Can’t beat the chilled out look of a nato in the warmer weather 👍

2AE061E3-55AF-43E5-8BCA-A4A0E0277FBD.jpeg

The Tudor spring bars are a b*****d to get out, better getting the AD to do it, (you don't want to put a scratch on the precious) it will look smart on that strap though, totally changes the look of the watch.

On 21/07/2020 at 14:54, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Anyone any thoughts on the "Hybrid" smartwatches? Wouldn't want an apple watch etc myself but some of the specs would be really handy in a day to day watch. Really liking the look of this in particular

https://us.kronaby.com/nord/46-nord-38mm.html 

nord-38mm.jpg

Not a big watch guy - got a bog standard casio for a stopwatch, a skagen pretty similar to above that I got with money family gave me for my 21st as a day to day, and had a nice citizen gold/silver strap one that was nicked when I got mugged (was a graduation present from my parents so I still feel guilty about it). As I say, I'm curious about the above but happy to be told they're a waste of time.   

This might be useless advice as you asked a month ago but I like my fossil hybrid watch counts steps and the hands move to show if you have a text or WhatsApp. You can change it so certain contacts texts/calls go to a certain number. 

• 2 weeks later...