Watches

10 hours ago, saint dave said:

Just seen a conversion kit on Ali express to make these from the normal dw5600s , not my thing , but a cheap way to do that watch. Do like the original one though 👍

'Just one more watch' channel on youtube did a vid on it, works quite well.

eta i like your 'AP' G-Shock, would go for the all black version.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

'Just one more watch' channel on youtube did a vid on it, works quite well.

eta i like your 'AP' G-Shock, would go for the all black version.

I like the stealth one but just couldn't read the time on it at all , getting old is shite 🤣

14 hours ago, greendot said:

Cheers

Got my eye on this one next. Not a massive fan of leather straps cos they get sweaty on my wrist but I do like this watch.

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0009556/Longines-Flagship-Heritage-Automatic-Mens-Watch/p#

I got that exact watch last year, it's a cracker. A really classy dress watch. My only gripe is that the self-wind charge won't last a weekend. Going to invest in  a watch winder as a result. 

How do you like the Christopher Ward watches? 

26 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I got that exact watch last year, it's a cracker. A really classy dress watch. My only gripe is that the self-wind charge won't last a weekend. Going to invest in  a watch winder as a result. 

How do you like the Christopher Ward watches? 

Always hear mixed reports about watch winders.  I personally have the automatic that im not wearing in one (got a spare winder as i bought it in advance of the next watch purchase!) but some folk suggest that may 'overwind' the spring.  I've got that Modalo one and this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CGE662I/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item_image

I bought my Christopher Ward watches a good few years ago.  The ones pictured were intially for service men and women only at £199 but I got them further down the line in a christmas sale for £99 each.  As they're quartz watches I don't think there's too much to them, nice enough build quality but its still battery powered!  Can't say much about their automatics but I the general consensus is that they are expensive for the movement they have in them.  As with everything though, if you like them, who cares what anyone else thinks of it.  You buy stuff for your own tastes and style!

• 2 months later...
On 10/06/2020 at 04:25, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Has anyone bought any LIV watches before, was a kickstarter, like the look of them but must admit not a huge knowledge of watches other than my trusty Seiko i've had for 12 years was thinking of going for the automatic if i did buy one over the quartz1410.46.19.AGL23200.JPG?v=1591193025 1240.45.135-steel.jpg?v=1578341275

Out of interest/nosey-ness how much?

On 11/06/2020 at 14:43, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Out of interest/nosey-ness how much?

The Automatics in their range vary from £400-£1100, the one pictured is roughly £800 and uses a ETA Valjoux 7750 movement, I've now convinced myself that its too big for my wrist at 46mm diameter so i'm now thinking of  going for one of their diving watches approx £500 depending on style/strap chosen as they are slightly smaller diameter at either 41,42 or 44mm these use either ETA Caliber 2824-2 or Sellita Caliber SW200-1 movements and do seem to be well built watches with pretty good reviews but then i am a sucker for pretty pictures 

any advice or equivalent recommendations for price range would be greatly appreciated i think i might end up on a slippy slope of watch collecting after reading some articles on the beauty of automatic watches 

https://www.livwatches.com/

6 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

The Automatics in their range vary from £400-£1100, the one pictured is roughly £800 and uses a ETA Valjoux 7750 movement, I've now convinced myself that its too big for my wrist at 46mm diameter so i'm now thinking of  going for one of their diving watches approx £500 depending on style/strap chosen as they are slightly smaller diameter at either 41,42 or 44mm these use either ETA Caliber 2824-2 or Sellita Caliber SW200-1 movements and do seem to be well built watches with pretty good reviews but then i am a sucker for pretty pictures 

any advice or equivalent recommendations for price range would be greatly appreciated i think i might end up on a slippy slope of watch collecting after reading some articles on the beauty of automatic watches 

https://www.livwatches.com/

Would agree with you there, 46mm is too big, unless you've got arms like Schwarzenegger, 41 or 42mm is the sweet spot. Seiko do some cracking automatic divers at the price point you're looking at. You're right as well, it is a slippery slope, I've almost been divorced a few times because of it.😀

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would agree with you there, 46mm is too big, unless you've got arms like Schwarzenegger, 41 or 42mm is the sweet spot. Seiko do some cracking automatic divers at the price point you're looking at. You're right as well, it is a slippery slope, I've almost been divorced a few times because of it.😀

Just noticed this thread.  I’ll have a nosey at it in full later today.

The Tudor BB58 is only 39mm and that is definitely on my list.  Only tried it on with the leather strap and it is very comfortable.   Relatively difficult to get on the steel bracelet which is what I’m looking for.

I do still like the option of a large diver though.  Maybe not for every day wear but I still like to wear my Breitling Avenger  Seawolf now and again.

ETA: No idea why the photo is not the correct way up 🤷‍♂️

EDA93D49-C46D-4D96-B710-D22F6BBD9E44.jpeg

Edited by Shadow Play

On 15/01/2019 at 12:54, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Full collection.

l to r : Rolex Datejust ll, Tudor Black Bay, Seiko SKX009, Tag Heuer, Casio G-Shock, Seiko Samurai.

watches.thumb.jpg.fd5e3fdf4f3fb1633eb4523003edf784.jpg

Close up of the Tudor......

5c3dd7eac3fcd_blackbay.thumb.jpg.9d96886bebe66e15ec0a8b727d024a6f.jpg

Cracking collection Biggie.  Loving the Rolex Datejust II but IMO the Tudor BB is even better.  The whole BB range really is superb quality and value for money (in terms of the crazy world of watches 😂).  Great history behind the BB too.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Cracking collection Biggie.  Loving the Rolex Datejust II but IMO the Tudor BB is even better.  The whole BB range really is superb quality and value for money (in terms of the crazy world of watches 😂).  Great history behind the BB too.

Cheers Shadow, loving your big flashy Breitling as well! Don't hesitate with the Tudor, they really are stunning quality, (I think there's some better pics further back in the thread) and the one you're after seems to be the most popular/gets the best reviews. On a side note the Rollie has gone up a grand in value since I bought it, which is nice.

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Cheers Shadow, loving your big flashy Breitling as well! Don't hesitate with the Tudor, they really are stunning quality, (I think there's some better pics further back in the thread) and the one you're after seems to be the most popular/gets the best reviews. On a side note the Rollie has gone up a grand in value since I bought it, which is nice.

Your Rolex purchase was a great choice.  No doubt about it.  If you want a watch that keeps or increases it’s value a Rolex is one of the best choices out there.  As you know, ridiculous as it sounds, it’s not easy to buy a new Rolex sports model from an AD these days and expect to pay more than RRP for it if you go grey.

Point in case being, my Breitling cost around £3k about 10 years ago.  If I sold it now I may get £2k ish for it.  

The other watch I considered at the time was the Rolex Deepsea.  It cost around £6k back then.  I couldn’t justify (or get my wife’s permission 😂) spending the extra £3k so I went for the Breitling.  A 10 year old Rolex Deepsea sells for around £10k+ these days!  

Live and learn I guess.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Your Rolex purchase was a great choice.  No doubt about it.  If you want a watch that keeps or increases it’s value a Rolex is one of the best choices out there.  As you know, ridiculous as it sounds, it’s not easy to buy a new Rolex sports model from an AD these days and expect to pay more than RRP for it if you go grey.

Point in case being, my Breitling cost around £3k about 10 years ago.  If I sold it now I may get £2k ish for it.  

The other watch I considered at the time was the Rolex Deepsea.  It cost around £6k back then.  I couldn’t justify (or get my wife’s permission 😂) spending the extra £3k so I went for the Breitling.  A 10 year old Rolex Deepsea sells for around £10k+ these days!  

Live and learn I guess.

I know, it's crazy stuff, if you can manage to get a Daytona from an AD (impossible) as soon as you walked out the door of the shop, you've just made yourself 10 grand. When the mrs bought me the Tag in the early nineties (£400) a Rolex Submariner was £900.00. think their about 7 or 8 thousand now.