Watches

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:
18 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
Sorry G_Man they are 110% fake and are absolutely worthless.

Aye pretty much figured. Dad has a feeling there not his either Haha. Unsure where he has got them from. They have been launched

Nice one, probably the worst fakes I've ever seen.😂

8 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

About 10 or so years ago, a mate told me you can tell if it is a fake Rolex by the motion of the second hand.  If it is genuine, then the second hand should move in a smooth, constant manner.  The fake ones used a quartz movement and the second hand jerked, tick, tick, tick as it moved round the dial.  Also I think the genuine Rolex watches have a crown somewhere on the strap.

I am no expert however and I could be wrong, just going by what I was told years ago.  Things may be different now.  If in doubt take it to a jeweller.  

Maybe about 30 years ago, nowadays the fakes are so good you've got to be a top quality expert to spot it.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:
4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
Nice one, probably the worst fakes I've ever seen.emoji23.png

He reckons they are in region of 40-50 year old ?

No way they are that old.

In America, there’s a chain of shops called Tommy Bahama. They sell ‘island lifestyle’ stuff - shirts, shorts, and lots more. One thing they also do are watches. I liked the look of one about twelve years ago, in Memphis. Cost about £80. Hasn’t missed a beat in twelve years. Change the battery, the bugger just keeps going. I’ve since bought another two, same thing - great watches for everyday use, just keep doing their thing. Bulletproof. Can highly recommend them.

The Vostok, got a bit of a cult following. Strapcode make really good straps/ bracelets but then the strap would be worth more than the watch [emoji2]
 I would just put it on a nato.
Thank you.
Never really in this thread but my son loves all things communist, potential birthday gift there. Where did you order this..?

1 hour ago, Romeo said:
On 10/07/2019 at 10:13, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
The Vostok, got a bit of a cult following. Strapcode make really good straps/ bracelets but then the strap would be worth more than the watch emoji2.png
Thank you.

Never really in this thread but my son loves all things communist, potential birthday gift there. Where did you order this..?

Wasn't me, was saint dave, he said he ordered direct from Moscow, but you get them on amazon 60 quid, its a good deal.

1 hour ago, Stinky Bone said:

Have to take your word for it Bigmouth.  I don't wear a watch and I have never owned an expensive one.  Guess you have and rightly know more about them than I do. 

Just a wee hobby, been studying it for years.

Thank you.

Found these in a cupboard. I'm presuming they are worth not an awful lot.
How much roughly?20190713_160715.thumb.jpg.e36c0841742170082780be5c1f68afa4.jpg
It's scary how good some fakes are these days. These are not good in the slightest, don't even attempt to look like any actual Rolex ever made l.

Could you post up a picture of the back of the watch and the clasp as well? Curious to see what bits they have used creating these.

There should be an etched rolex logo at 6 o'clock on the crystal as well which is not visible typically with the naked eye. If its clearly visible or not there at all it's another sign.

4 hours ago, Romeo said:
On 10/07/2019 at 10:13, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
The Vostok, got a bit of a cult following. Strapcode make really good straps/ bracelets but then the strap would be worth more than the watch emoji2.png
Thank you.

Got it on eBay from a seller called Enerjystore. 100% feedback and about £30 less than the Amazon sellers. My Mrs had a welcome back to eBay  voucher so got it for £42 delivered. 

Check out meranom.com which is vostoks online shop...check the faces and types then look at eBay. 

27 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

It's scary how good some fakes are these days. These are not good in the slightest, don't even attempt to look like any actual Rolex ever made l.

Could you post up a picture of the back of the watch and the clasp as well? Curious to see what bits they have used creating these.

There should be an etched rolex logo at 6 o'clock on the crystal as well which is not visible typically with the naked eye. If its clearly visible or not there at all it's another sign.

It's horrendous, they've got chronograph dials with nothing to operate them with, looks like a yachtmaster copy bezel has been stuck on it as well, just an absolute fucking nightmare. Cheers G_Man.

36 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Ha I aint fetching it out the bin, dad said to get rid once i told him it was fake so did exactly that. Still a mystery as to how it got in the attic and how did it come about

Got this Kickstarter watch from Amazon warehouse deals for £25 cos the packaging was damages although it arrived complete and new with tags 🤷 not a new Kickstarter but looks like remaining stock? On their website the watch looks really good on a leather strap. 

81jku0qx9hL._AC_UY580_.jpg

On 13/07/2019 at 10:37, G_Man1985 said:

He reckons they are in region of 40-50 year old ?

On 13/07/2019 at 10:43, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

No way they are that old.

During the 80's, lots of people came home from their holidays with £5 'Rolexes' they'd picked up from vendors on the streets of Benidorm, Magalluf, Ibiza and the like. I suspect that's where those came from.

I was working in a retail jewellers at the time and while most folk just treated them as a bit of fun, and chucked them in the bin when they stopped working a few days after they got home, there were some who would bring them in wanting us to repair them. We then had the job of explaining that no, this wasn't a real Rolex and that no, we weren't going to get involved. Worse though, were the brain-donors who expected us to buy the PoS from them...for hundreds of pounds of course. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2019 at 03:50, Shotgun said:

During the 80's, lots of people came home from their holidays with £5 'Rolexes' they'd picked up from vendors on the streets of Benidorm, Magalluf, Ibiza and the like. I suspect that's where those came from.

I was working in a retail jewellers at the time and while most folk just treated them as a bit of fun, and chucked them in the bin when they stopped working a few days after they got home, there were some who would bring them in wanting us to repair them. We then had the job of explaining that no, this wasn't a real Rolex and that no, we weren't going to get involved. Worse though, were the brain-donors who expected us to buy the PoS from them...for hundreds of pounds of course. 

With me, it was a beach in Thailand in '84.  A kid came along while I was recovering, with a bottle of Singha, from the night before.  He had several of the 'Rolexes' on his arm.

Cost was the Thai equivalent of about $10.   As you say, I did treat it as a bit of fun.  Never in a million years would I buy the real thing. it's just a watch.

The 'Rolex' has spent 99% of its life in a drawer.  It's had several replacement batteries, after I've remembered I still have it.  Keeps decent time, and never had a problem

with local watch place in replacing the battery.

IMG_1389.thumb.jpg.8dfb8bdcb9596d8d0e82d518515d8960.jpg

Edited by beefybake

52 minutes ago, beefybake said:

With me, it was a beach in Thailand in '84.  A kid came along while I was recovering, with a bottle of Singha, from the night before.  He had several of the 'Rolexes' on his arm.

Cost was the Thai equivalent of about $10.   As you say, I did treat it as a bit of fun.  Never in a million years would I buy the real thing. it's just a watch.

The 'Rolex' has spent 99% of its life in a drawer.  It's had several replacement batteries, after I've remembered I still have it.  Keeps decent time, and never had a problem

with local watch place in replacing the battery.

IMG_1389.thumb.jpg.8dfb8bdcb9596d8d0e82d518515d8960.jpg

The day date or 'The President', Rolex version is solid 18k gold 20 to 25 thousand.

9 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The day date or 'The President', Rolex version is solid 18k gold 20 to 25 thousand.

I reckon that's what Beefy bought - he just doesn't realise it. The kid on the beach probably couldn't understand the flaw in his business model.