Time for B Teams

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Associating this idea with the failure of the Scottish National team is bizarre to say the least. That said, it may be worth trialing the idea for a few years to see if it is successful or not. I've never quite understood why people are so vehemently against the idea. It may work, it may not, but its worth a shot. If it were to happen it could sit under the lowland league as a new tier 6, potentially with any Junior sides who may want to finally get involved with the Pyramid. A league table could look something like this.

Penicuik Athletic

Musselburgh Athletic

Bonnyrigg Rose

Kelty Hearts

Pollok F.C.

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy F.C.

Auchinleck Talbot F.C

Beith Juniors F.C.

Glenafton Athletic F.C.

Hurlford United F.C.

Celtic B

Rangers B

Hearts B

Hibs B

Motherwell B

Kilmarnock B

Some good games in there and potentially quite big crowds. Same could be done for HL 2

Associating this idea with the failure of the Scottish National team is bizarre to say the least. That said, it may be worth trialing the idea for a few years to see if it is successful or not. I've never quite understood why people are so vehemently against the idea. It may work, it may not, but its worth a shot. If it were to happen it could sit under the lowland league as a new tier 6, potentially with any Junior sides who may want to finally get involved with the Pyramid. A league table could look something like this.

Penicuik Athletic

Musselburgh Athletic

Bonnyrigg Rose

Kelty Hearts

Pollok F.C.

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy F.C.

Auchinleck Talbot F.C

Beith Juniors F.C.

Glenafton Athletic F.C.

Hurlford United F.C.

Celtic B

Rangers B

Hearts B

Hibs B

Motherwell B

Kilmarnock B

Some good games in there and potentially quite big crowds. Same could be done for HL 2

If junior teams are put off just now I'd imagine joining a league with b teams would be even less lucrative to them. Alot of junior teams reasoning for not making the jump is finances suddenly throwing in games where there will be no fans makes that problem even worse.

If junior teams are put off just now I'd imagine joining a league with b teams would be even less lucrative to them. Alot of junior teams reasoning for not making the jump is finances suddenly throwing in games where there will be no fans makes that problem even worse.

I am reasonably certain that there would be bigger crowds watching old firm b games than there is currently watching the lowland league.

Nobody but nobody thinks B teams are a good idea except the Glasgow centric media and the hard of thinking.

Mostly OF fans ( not all of them ) who have absolutely no concept of what Scottish Football really is!

B teams would be a disaster for the lower leagues. I'd accept top flight B teams in the challenge cup (say an u21 squad with 3 or 4 overagers) but that would be it.

They'd be better bringing back the reserve league.

Put this in the other threa dbut copying it in here too

For me (and assuming this isn't the worst troll post I have ever read) if I was taking it seriously I would say that the following would have to be the case...

• Colt teams would start at the lowest league for their Geography (HFL2, EOS, SOS)
  • Transfers would have to be done between parent club and B team
  • B Teams may require licenced (if we are asking LFL teams to why not)
  • Cannot rise to same league as parent club
  • Independent finances, cannot be bankrolled by parent club

Then it just might work

Put this in the other threa dbut copying it in here too

For me (and assuming this isn't the worst troll post I have ever read) if I was taking it seriously I would say that the following would have to be the case...

• Colt teams would start at the lowest league for their Geography (HFL2, EOS, SOS)
  • Transfers would have to be done between parent club and B team
  • B Teams may require licenced (if we are asking LFL teams to why not)
  • Cannot rise to same league as parent club
  • Independent finances, cannot be bankrolled by parent club

Then it just might work

All 42 clubs have one or not at all.

If we're serious about improving the quality of players we produce, there has got to be an attitude adjustment across the whole board. League reconstruction or B teams will achieve very little.

From my experience with watching Dundee, we went through a period of signing loads of foreign players and although there were a few specific individuals who were stand outs and clearly talented, there were loads of guys we had on big wages who were technically very average and there were quite a few part time players around that would have done a much better job with full time training.

In the last couple of seasons, we've picked out a few lower league players and although some of them have fared differently to others, they have shown themselves to be at least as competent as released journeymen from English lower league clubs. I've seen us pick up a lot of shite from down south that seem to have strolled into the place with the expectation that they would light up the place and been exposed as complete diddies.

For the quality of our game to actually improve, we need clubs to willingly look to their own in the youth academy and to also offer progression to guys down in the lower leagues who have something to offer. Progression is very important and it'd improve the health of our game quite a bit if we stopped talking ourselves down and were more keen to invest in ourselves. I don't think it can be forcefully imposed on clubs but teams need to see the benefits of it themselves.

Obviously, I'm not the one in charge of a top flight club so I'm not feeling the severe pressure that comes with it but if I were to have a role like that, I could identify players that show a bit of talent in every tier and could be effective at this level with a bit of work.

The problem I see with B teams is that it would allow the bigger teams (not just Celtic and Rangers) to mop up even more of the talent than they do already. Younger players might currently be attracted to a smaller team with the prospect of getting game but if there is a strong chance of a game in Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts etc B team then this is where this is where all the prospective talent will end up. While this would work for the bigger teams it leaves little scope for the rest to attract and develop talent.

Archived