Time for B Teams

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to have laid out their basic agenda for this. Under-21s that enter either the Highland or Lowland Leagues and can rise up to League One level only. So if it were to happen, at least there would have to be some restructuring below the SPFL.

With Annan and Stranraer reserves rejoining the SoSFL you could argue its already started.

Why is this still a thing? Fairly sure the crowds were fucking abysmal for the cup games involving Colt teams. It's a ridiculous idea that will kill lower league football in the country, and there's absolutely no descernible advantage from it

To counter this I'd say that away supports in League One and below are comically low anyway so what's your point? Hearts U20s won't bring any or much less fans to Stark's Park than, say, Stranraer.

Games away to Hearts U20s would be fucking brutal though, admittedly, but it wouldn't be the 'senior' club taking the financial hit.

I still remain against the idea but I think it's going to happen very soon, the OF want it and plenty of others do to. I suspect your club are probably all for it as well.

To counter this I'd say that away supports in League One and below are comically low anyway so what's your point? Hearts U20s won't bring any or much less fans to Stark's Park than, say, Stranraer.

Games away to Hearts U20s would be fucking brutal though, admittedly, but it wouldn't be the 'senior' club taking the financial hit.

I still remain against the idea but I think it's going to happen very soon, the OF want it and plenty of others do to. I suspect your club are probably all for it as well.

Yes it would be because people would stop going altogether.

Yes it would be because people would stop going altogether.

Really? Do fans in the German or Spanish lower leagues not go to games against B teams? It's fine to say this but is it borne out in practice? I'm against the idea but I don't think I'd give up supporting Raith Rovers if it happens.

Really? Do fans in the German or Spanish lower leagues not go to games against B teams? It's fine to say this but is it borne out in practice? I'm against the idea but I don't think I'd give up supporting Raith Rovers if it happens.

You're traditionally a championship club. We're league one/league two. It'll affect us every single season. And yes, really. I have no desire to watch us play glorified friendlies against kids. I as someone that missed just 2 games last season would call it a day. Ruins the competition.

German under 23 sides playing in the lower tiers are very poorly supported. 500 or so will watch the likes of Schalke or Dortmund. The other sides don't like them in their divisuons as they bring no fans.

Interestingly, there are reports of crowd trouble at some of the derby U23 games in the north recently as police presence at the wee grounds used is minimal and there is no cctv.

German under 23 sides playing in the lower tiers are very poorly supported. 500 or so will watch the likes of Schalke or Dortmund. The other sides don't like them in their divisuons as they bring no fans.

Interestingly, there are reports of crowd trouble at some of the derby U23 games in the north recently as police presence at the wee grounds used is minimal and there is no cctv.

Think Germany still has a hooligan problem in general. I think the SFA have made a boob here though. If they'd set the bar at HL/LL level I don't think there'd be so much of an issue.

I've still no idea who's meant to be benefiting here? Celtic and Rangers U20s sides are awful in comparison to senior sides, so the senior teams wouldn't improve.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but allowing Celtic and Rangers to enter u20 sides into the leagues + "Project Brave" which is killing the youth systems of smaller clubs and forcing young players up the ladder (wonder what youth setup they'd choose if two clubs join the senior leagues..) = two clubs hoovering up every single young player in the country, getting an easy development for them, and reaping the benefits.

It's utterly disheartening, and would virtually kill the game outwith the Old Firm bubble. Maybe that's what they want though.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just make their own league more competitive, have no idea why anyone thinks playing against mainly part-time players who in the main are either working their way down the leagues due to age etc or players their own sort of age deemed not good enough for a big team is going to help develop world class internationals. Stick to my original position that no team should have more than one side in the national league structure.

Since there are no pro/rel between juniors and SPFL, how about fielding reserves in the junior leagues?

No.

The juniors are also proper competitive leagues and although a lot of clubs are very poorly supported they still care about their clubs as much as anyone in the SPFL. Ruining their weekends by playing glorified training sessions isn't the way to go either. No chance.

This idea needs binned. Why would you want to ruin football for any fan??????

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No.

The juniors are also proper competitive leagues and although a lot of clubs are very poorly supported they still care about their clubs as much as anyone in the SPFL. Ruining their weekends by playing glorified training sessions isn't the way to go either. No chance.

This idea needs binned. Why would you want to ruin football for any fan??????

Its funny, one of the attraction of minor league teams (American term for lower leagues) is to be able to watch future stars of the sport.

Its funny, one of the attraction of minor league teams (American term for lower leagues) is to be able to watch future stars of the sport.

How's that funny?

Had guys like Callum Booth, Kenny McLean, Lee Erwin and Craig Forsyth all turn out to be very good players playing for us whilst on loan. And guys like Andy Robertson or Swanson playing against us whilst at lower league clubs themselves.

Also had a fair share of utter shite come to us on loan from under 20 sides. If you think these teams are full of future stars then you're totally wrong.

Fwiw it could be the 11 best 20 year olds in world football and I wouldn't give a shit. They're ruining the competition by treating games as training exercises.

You're a *** aren't you? Why don't Sevco play their own youth players in their own teams??? You've just gone and signed a 37 year old Portuguese guy to take the place of a 20 year old Scottish kid Bates. [emoji23]

It can gtf.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How's that funny?

Had guys like Callum Booth, Kenny McLean, Lee Erwin and Craig Forsyth all turn out to be very good players playing for us whilst on loan. And guys like Andy Robertson or Swanson playing against us whilst at lower league clubs themselves.

Also had a fair share of utter shite come to us on loan from under 20 sides. If you think these teams are full of future stars then you're totally wrong.

Fwiw it could be the 11 best 20 year olds in world football and I wouldn't give a shit. They're ruining the competition by treating games as training exercises.

You're a *** aren't you? Why don't Sevco play their own youth players in their own teams??? You've just gone and signed a 37 year old Portuguese guy to take the place of a 20 year old Scottish kid Bates. emoji23.png

It can gtf.

Funny noting that how different it is over here compared to Europe in terms of mentality. Not in a HAHA sense.

I get where you are coming from though.

PS: I don't think I have destroyed/vandalized/chanted anti-Catholic songs to earn the title ***. :)

Funny noting that how different it is over here compared to Europe in terms of mentality. Not in a HAHA sense.
I get where you are coming from though.
PS: I don't think I have destroyed/vandalized/chanted anti-Catholic songs to earn the title ***. [emoji4]

Explain how it's different in Europe?

And ok. Apologies. ;)

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Explain how it's different in Europe?

And ok. Apologies. ;)

Here as in America.

In America the whole lower league system is dedicated towards development of talents. NO relegation or promotion.

Think Pep Guardiola has a point though, youth needs to play vs. grown ups.

Here as in America.
In America the whole lower league system is dedicated towards development of talents. NO relegation or promotion.

But there is relegation and promotion in Europe?

And I'll concede some sports are like that in America but being a big fan of American sports they seem to be even worse when it comes to win all costs with the youths!!! Especially in sports like American football!

Archived