The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

You weren't seeking 'further clarity' - you immediately dismissed their reasons for doing so 'cos you wear a red poppy and a family member of your died in war, so there'. Which was highlighted as being a ludicrous straw man, and here we are.

When someone has to resort to paraphrasing then you know that they are scrambling. (Still don't know what a straw man is).

P.S. You confirmed that you also believe what I do about the white poppy.

Started it in full knowledge. I really just wanted to share the fact that John Terry was talking about it on the tube FFS.

Except you charged in and started defending Celtic fan's protests and going on about Northern Ireland.

When someone has to resort to paraphrasing then you know that they are scrambling. (Still don't know what a straw man is).

P.S. You confirmed that you also believe what I do about the white poppy.

I don't believe that their argument is mere posturing because you wear a red poppy, so no - not even close..

I don't believe that their argument is mere posturing because you wear a red poppy, so no - not even close..

OK. "It's probably aiming to state that the red poppy is a jingoistic symbol"

Your right. It sounds nothing like you think it's an anti red poppy statement. My mistake.

My kids had the skits last night and as a result I'm too tired to argue. You win. I'm a terrible person.

Except you charged in and started defending Celtic fan's protests and going on about Northern Ireland.

Where queried that you consider protesting something: unacceptable, but shooting people: acceptable?

Aye. Done me up like a kipper there, eh.

Me neither, it takes an insignificant amount of effort and shows your gratitude and respect to a group of people, past and present, that have selflessly served their country.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get critical over someone's decision not to wear a poppy. Each to their own.

OK. "It's probably aiming to state that the red poppy is a jingoistic symbol"

Your right. It sounds nothing like you think it's an anti red poppy statement. My mistake.

My kids had the skits last night and as a result I'm too tired to argue. You win. I'm a terrible person.

^^^Wearing brown poopy.

The people past and present that have selflessly served their country.

Not the dead ones obviously.

Pretty much everyone involved in the First World War is now dead, so your apparent gesture is by your own terms meaningless. And even if we were to move the goalposts - as the British Legion has done, repeatedly - to the Second World War again few survive. And even those that have survived aren't actually prominent in asking, never mind demanding 'commemoration' of the casualties of the Second World War. Least of all with a poppy which commemorates an entirely different conflict. More of an insult than anything IMO.

Anyone serving for a significant period in the military after 1945 has chosen it as their professional occupation, so the term 'selfless' doesn't meaningfully apply. So its safe to say that in terms of 'demonstrating gratitude', poppy commemorations have had their day.

Mothers side of the family is Irish and knew people who had died in civil conflicts in Ireland. I dont support any terrorist or Army organisation both the IRA and the Army are c***s imo

So no I dont wear a poppy but I do witness the minutes silence for the young men forced to fight a war due to a falling out between royal families around Europe which after we won that war started another war due to ridiculously harsh treaties.

Edited by DensParkNumber1

Mothers side of the family is Irish and knew people who had died in civil conflicts in Ireland. I dont support any terrorist or Army organisation both the IRA and the Army are c***s imo

So no I dont wear a poppy but I do witness the minutes silence for the young men forced to fight a war due to a falling out between royal families around Europe which after we won that war started another war due to ridiculously harsh treaties.

As long as we won, that's the main thing.

Can dead relatives who died fighting in WW1 or 2 be remembered year round or is it just during the government sanctioned rembrance day?

Also can folk be 'remembered' in other ways or are they forever remembered as soldiers first rather than say a grandfather/father/uncle/brother?

Finally is paying fot a piece of red plastic the only way to pay 'tribute' to people who fought in the aforementioned wars?

Oh dear. There's nothing more tedious than yet another insecure type using George Orwell to cover for their own ill thought-out opinions.

Fails to answer Orwell's point.

Thanks for playing dear boy.