The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Four years of carnage, millions slaughtered, trench warfare, unimaginable horrors, fighting through all weather but...

A two-minute silence to mark Armistice Day in Edinburgh was cancelled due to high winds.

Poppy Scotland said it was “unsafe” for the traditional two-minute silence held every year at 11am on November 11 to go ahead.

Once again we go another year, I'm now 12 years married...

The fucking Somme was less.

The bullets I dodge on a daily basis.

Love you Mou (she bought flowers this year). to lay ............................oh f**k hear she comes

58 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Four years of carnage, millions slaughtered, trench warfare, unimaginable horrors, fighting through all weather but...

A two-minute silence to mark Armistice Day in Edinburgh was cancelled due to high winds.

Poppy Scotland said it was “unsafe” for the traditional two-minute silence held every year at 11am on November 11 to go ahead.

😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It all seems to have passed by a bit more quietly this year. Maybe the usual poppy nutters got all their patriotism out of their system when Old Lizzy pegged it?

Still got Sunday to come. Is it not usually the “big one”?

I had the gall to walk down Buchanan Street earlier whilst not wearing a poppy. Passed 7 different groups of people selling them, including the portakabin at Gordon St. One woman decided to offer me the chance to purchase one with a polite "I see you aren't wearing a poppy, would you like one?", but suddenly got massively offended when I said "No, thank you", asking if I had no respect for those who gave their lives.

"Plenty for them, none for you" was the clever reply I thought of 100 yards later, though I'm pretty sure the look I gave her could be taken as "Away and take a flying f**k to yourself, you grief-mongering p***k".

I genuinely have no idea what she thought was going to be gained from saying that to someone, unless she was deliberately looking to provoke. It surely can't be something the poppy appeal folk are trained to say?

The local Tesco had a poppy stall set up right beside the checkouts in a narrow concourse so they were pretty much unavoidable but not massively forceful. 

"Would you like to buy a Poppy?"

"No thanks"

"Ok" 

The local legion organiser seemed more interested in visibly standing at attention in a uniform tbh. 

Forgot it was the 11th today, so much for Lest we forget! I was rudely reminded when the ships in the harbour let off their horns at 11am for the full 2 minutes! I did giggle when at the end of the 2 mins & all the other horns switched off some wise cracking captain did a little popeye theme peep at the end. 
Ive not been offered a poppy this year & would refuse anyway. I’ve taken to wearing a 12 foot sunflower (stalk included) to remember fervently the war dead in Ukraine. 

missus told me John Lewis in Buchanan Galleries shut the tills at 11am and everyone stopped and stood motionless for 2 mins.......mental stuff. if such a solemn occasion to so many, why oot buying leggings at that time?
I once got asked to read out the "at the going down of the sun" thing across the tannoy at my work. Not that I object to the silence per se, but I fucked that right off. Someone else do it.

There's no way for a Costa barista to burn coffee

They over tamped it. It’s very possible for any high street coffee chain to burn coffee. Like I said, she started the coffee, had the silence then went back to tamp it after she already did it enough.