The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Marcel Langer before Kio if I'm not mistaken although he never played much, one day we'll sign a decent german.

I stand corrected, although with only two appearances that’s one of my less embarrassing mistakes

he signed two years ago so the grudge joke still works

8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

As i have posted before my wife's gramps was a bren gunner in France he was captured defending Dunkirk and spent 5 years in a German POW camp.

Without him and his pal's we would not be where we are today.

LEST WE FORGET

It does not excuse the absolute circus that this time of year has become. 

No country suffered more than Poland under the fucking Nazis but they don't feel the need to turn remembrance into a shitshow. 

9 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

As i have posted before my wife's gramps was a bren gunner in France he was captured defending Dunkirk and spent 5 years in a German POW camp.

LEST WE FORGET

I'm dying to know about his pal and their thingwy.

On 05/11/2022 at 18:55, scottsdad said:

The Dunfermline team today was all decked out in their staunchness. Poppies on the tops, and the captain's armband. 

Aye, noticed that. What's the point in it? Who is it for? We can't be too far away from some clubs having poppies on their shirts permanently.

On 05/11/2022 at 22:53, Andy Dufresne said:

LEST WE FORGET

But that's the thing, we have 'forgotten' (not saying that you are insinuating otherwise though). The whole poppy bullshit long ago lost its meaning. It's an utter nonsense and needs to get so far to f**k. War and the military are glorified and fetishised and made out to be something to aspire to, not something that should be avoided unless as an unavoidable last resort.

Also we still see stupid wars started by small, petty men, where people are needlessly killed.

'Lest we forget' is absolutely meaningless now. It's long since become a parody. I don't mean this as an insult towards you personally, rather more as a general observation. I think that what you mean by it is the original sentiment, but that's different to what it has become.

Also, and this is the most controversial (to others, not to me), and it will never happen, but we need to move on from it all, especially since no lessons have actually been learned (I mean in general, not folk personally reminiscing about relatives who have passed away).

Edited by DA Baracus

12 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

LEST WE FORGET

If only I'd known at the time.

My grandfather also served in WW2 (one of the acceptable wars).

There is every indication he despised it, he rejected campaign medals and (to my knowledge) never wore a poppy. He never discussed the war or showed any intention to.

Maybe he remembered in his own way. I think he was just horrified at the whole thing to be honest.

If he saw what remembrance day has turned into I don't doubt it would disgust him.