The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

19 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Man City have 5 games (including today’s) between now and Remembrance Sunday and they’ve already got the poppies out.

Looks like they’re remembering really hard this year.

I imagine with Leicester going full Captain Tom, that City just shrugged and stuck a badge on the shirt rather than getting the full Daily Express hysteria about sheiks disrespecting our brave boys 

Do you really think they’d have refused? It just isn’t worth it.

Agree with the various sentiments above. Football clubs would no doubt counter with "its to ensure home fans get a chance to commemorate*" but this stands up to zero scrutiny since the whole point of the day of remembrance is that that's the day where everyone in the entire country gets their chance to remember*. It's absolutely an exercise in attention seeking and caring more. If you are at home on the weekend of Remembrance day, fine. Anything else is utter, utter nonsense.

*I say remember, but im not genuinely sure what the verb is for what people are doing here.

I was surprised to see presenters on BBC breakfast wearing poppies this morning. It's October!

It has its place as a means of remembering those who have lost their lives in conflict but also as a reminder that conflict should be avoided where at all possible. I believe that was the original intention and don't know how it's developed into this competitive nationalistic fervour.
One of the presenters said last week its BBC policy for all of them to start wearing the poppy a fixed number of days before the 11th. Anyway...the number of usual suspects on here who get their knickers in a twist and frothing with rage every year around this time is all very predictable and quite amusing.

One of the presenters said last week its BBC policy for all of them to start wearing the poppy a fixed number of days before the 11th. Anyway...the number of usual suspects on here who get their knickers in a twist and frothing with rage every year around this time is all very predictable and quite amusing.
"The number of people discussing this topic in a thread specifically for this topic is hilarious [emoji23] "

23 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

That policy should be one day maximum.

On 29/10/2022 at 11:15, 10menwent2mow said:

Not that anyone has got a 'right' to remembrance as everyone does so in different ways, I've always thought that if a club did, it was Hearts. The Dons used to have a plaque thing in the RDS concourse, it's years since I've been in the RDS so not sure if it's still there. The whole idea of we care more than you loses the whole point of it, which for me is contemplation of what people gave up rather than an image of triumphalism, which is what seems to eminate from down govan way. 

I live near Haymarket so some years I'll pop round the corner to the remembrance service at the Hearts memorial. The whole proceedings are still very much focussed on the 1914 team and suitably solemn as opposed to a celebration of our brave boys in the gulf (or wherever). I remember Gary Locke reading the last letter from the trenches of one of the players to his wife and it was genuinely moving. Possibly the best thing Locke ever did as Hearts manager.

I think the club gets it about right although I could see how outsiders might think that we slightly overdo it.

Interestingly  Orestis "Kio" Kiomourtzoglou is, as far as I know, the first German to play for Hearts 106 years after the battle of the Somme which goes to show that you can only hold a grudge for so long.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

This guff popped up on my FB timeline this morning. Not directly poppy related but CL indicative of the same mentality.

image.thumb.png.04ef277908e8864f8706d42cfc285c37.png

Aye, we don’t care enough to pay more taxes so you can receive healthcare for your PTSD. We don’t care enough to demand accountability from the politicians who lied to send you to war in the first place. But we care enough to like and share a picture on Facebook. 

You’re welcome.