The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

It’s entirely up to the individual in wearing a remembrance Poppy or not, and understandable given James McClean’s background and where he grew up that he doesn’t. It shouldn’t be a big deal to anyone else, it’s his personal choice. The Poppy bandwagon rolls into town every year and has somewhat grown out of proportion and shape from its original intentions for many.
The unnecessary attention and undue abuse McClean receives isn’t just down to his button hole preference however. His most recent ‘history lesson’ delivered to his small children (eek), albeit intended as a joke was clearly a deliberate wind up towards his detractors. In staging this little stunt though, the same respect and understanding he expects, wasn’t offered to the people of London, Birmingham & Manchester etc where he plays professional football (as mentioned back up the thread). Ordinary punters in the stands who may also have experienced the violent deaths of innocents, in this case at the hands of an organisation he seemingly offers tacit support to?
It’s difficult to have any sympathy with the guy if he can’t quite see the hypocrisy of his actions here. I can’t see how he would be treated any differently in any other country he chose to ply his trade in, under similar circumstances. Imagine the reaction of most fans in Spain, Italy or Germany for example, if a player (who plays for another nation) made a calculated stance of turning his back on the national flag and anthem whilst visiting another country and as a representative of the club? It’s going to cause a stir isn’t it? As for a comparison with BLM (‘where’s my attention’?) was that just another intended joke?
On a more positive note, he’s a decent player with a good engine and who most supporters wouldn’t mind seeing in their line up on his work rate alone.

42 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cant be bothered reading through all of this. Did we decide if the IRA are good or bad?

The Official IRA were fighting the fair fight against an imperialistic power. With guns and that. And they have all the songs.
The Provisional IRA worked part time on zero hours contracts and had guns and bombs.
The Real IRA went a bit off road and planted big bombs - but only used them against valid targets, like pedestrians.
The Spurious IRA got re-named The Green Brigade.

I think.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cant be bothered reading through all of this. Did we decide if the IRA are good or bad?

The IRA - a great bunch of lads.

The Real IRA - a bunch of very naughty boys.

43 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

The Official IRA were fighting the fair fight against an imperialistic power. With guns and that. And they have all the songs.
The Provisional IRA worked part time on zero hours contracts and had guns and bombs.
The Real IRA went a bit off road and planted big bombs - but only used them against valid targets, like pedestrians.
The Spurious IRA got re-named The Green Brigade.

I think.

I always thought the Provisional IRA were making their mind up what they wanted to be.