The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’m not saying what I think, I do consider them a terrorist organisation, if I was brought up in Derry during the troubles I would imagine I would think differently though. Either way, they’re clearly miles away from ISIS, their means were obviously miles off at times, but their initial cause of civil rights was obviously a worthy cause. 

You really are a tit.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Think the timeline is important here, the death threats and general sectarian abuse stemmed from the lack of poppy, the IRA picture was after the death threat horse had bolted.

But fair enough, think we are genuinely aligned here other than the seriousness of dressing up as someone from the IRA. 

Not really in the mood for unintelligent conversation tonight my man, so going to let this unprovoked insult slide. 

Not an insult, it's a fact.

Defending the Indefensible seems to be your MO.

Your limited Intelligence will be on a par with the cheeseburgers from the saver menu which you serve all day long.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

What would it take for you to think of them as a terrorist organisation? Would blowing up innocent civilians on numerous occasions do it for you?

TBF the British Army aren't much better. 

McClean was getting plenty of threats long before his balaclava nonsense. Indeed when he first refused to wear one and gave the reasons why (which were entirely justifiable) hr was absolutely vilified for it by gutter rats in the tabloid press and bootlicking gammons up and down the country. Frankly if i was in his shoes I would be winding these arsehoies up as much as i could get away with as a result. 

6 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

TBF the British Army aren't much better. 

McClean was getting plenty of threats long before his balaclava nonsense. Indeed when he first refused to wear one and gave the reasons why (which were entirely justifiable) hr was absolutely vilified for it by gutter rats in the tabloid press and bootlicking gammons up and down the country. Frankly if i was in his shoes I would be winding these arsehoies up as much as i could get away with as a result. 

I've no idea whether the British army have killed more or less innocent civilians in NI than the IRA, but the point is, no-one here is discussing someone glorifying the British army and using them as WUM material. With pre-apologies for comparing your comment to one of Magee's, he said something similar when defending IRA chants at Celtic games and used the whataboutery British armed forces excuse until it was pointed out to him that no St Johnstone fans were singing army songs at the game. 

McLean's one man stance for his beliefs was admirable but he lost any credibility or sympathy he had as soon as he pulled his balaclava stunt. There's easier ways to wind up "gammons" without lowering yourself to their level, but that's exactly what he did. He's been accused of being an IRA sympathiser in the past, so to use that stunt just for WUM material  showed him up for the attention-seeking clown that he is. 

What a laugh Omagh was. 

Edited by Dee Man

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I've no idea whether the British army have killed more or less innocent civilians in NI than the IRA, but the point is, no-one here is discussing someone glorifying the British army and using them as WUM material. 

Erm, glorifying the British Army is the entire fucking M.O. of 21st Century Poppy Season - which is on the face of it why McLean first clashed with the gammonfolk of England. 

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I've no idea whether the British army have killed more or less innocent civilians in NI than the IRA, but the point is, no-one here is discussing someone glorifying the British army and using them as WUM material. With pre-apologies for comparing your comment to one of Magee's, he said something similar when defending IRA chants at Celtic games and used the whataboutery British armed forces excuse until it was pointed out to him that no St Johnstone fans were singing army songs at the game. 

McLean's one man stance for his beliefs was admirable but he lost any credibility or sympathy he had as soon as he pulled his balaclava stunt. There's easier ways to wind up "gammons" without lowering yourself to their level, but that's exactly what he did. He's been accused of being an IRA sympathiser in the past, so to use that stunt just for WUM material  showed him up for the attention-seeking clown that he is. 

What a laugh Omagh was. 

"But the point is, no one here is discussing someone thinking what a laugh Omagh was". 

The British Army comment is relevant in this situation imo, as their murdering of protestors in McClean's home city of Derry is one of, if not the only reason he refuses to wear one and is justifiably vocal about it. A lot of the criticism McClean gets more than smacks of "Why doesn't this uppity fucking kafflick know his place?

I think it's somewhat revisionist to suggest that McClean's views on the poppy were treated with any sort of respect or credibility before the stunt, certainly in both maintream and social media. He was getting death threats as soon as he first refused to wear one. 

The mandatory wearing of the poppy is absolutely bollocks. We have to question why it has taken a guy from the most battered part of the empire to challenge this nonsense. 

For that reason , I'm on his side. 

When did this happen?

Is this any different to folk coming into primary schools dressed in WW2 clothing?

This might be one of the most hilarious posts I've ever seen on here.

Fwiw, I've always had sympathy for mclean for the shit he got, which was massively out of order.

But this really does make him look like a c**t.

I’m not saying what I think, I do consider them a terrorist organisation, if I was brought up in Derry during the troubles I would imagine I would think differently though. Either way, they’re clearly miles away from ISIS, their means were obviously miles off at times, but their initial cause of civil rights was obviously a worthy cause. 
You really are a tit.
A tit he might be, but the post you're taking such offence at (without being able to express it in any way), is a perfectly reasonable one.

Thinking terrorist organisations are all just evil c***s without any attempt at further understanding is an incredible simplistic view.

Having sympathy with the ira without fully supporting their actions is a pretty standard view.

I'm pretty sure if I'd grown up in derry in the 70s I'd be very tempted to join - but at some point they'd have lost my support as they undoubtedly stepped over the line of acceptability on a basic human level at some point.

Again, he never grew up in Derry in the 70's. He never lived through Bloody Sunday. He has been brought up getting it drummed into him and now he's doing it to his children. 

As long as there are folk like him, on both sides, then there's no hope. The antagonising will continue and in turn, the death threats will. 

The only reason the media give it space is to stir it up further. Ignore the lot of them. 

45 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

"But the point is, no one here is discussing someone thinking what a laugh Omagh was". 

The British Army comment is relevant in this situation imo, as their murdering of protestors in McClean's home city of Derry is one of, if not the only reason he refuses to wear one and is justifiably vocal about it. A lot of the criticism McClean gets more than smacks of "Why doesn't this uppity fucking kafflick know his place?

I think it's somewhat revisionist to suggest that McClean's views on the poppy were treated with any sort of respect or credibility before the stunt, certainly in both maintream and social media. He was getting death threats as soon as he first refused to wear one. 

The IRA were responsible for Omagh amongst other atrocities, ergo, him wearing a balaclava to wind up folk shows that he thinks it's all a bit of a laugh and a subject that can be used light heartedly.

McLean's credibility automatically dropped as soon as he pulled the balaclava stunt whether people think he had any or not. Of course there were people who supported him and his beliefs and then automatically lost respect for him as soon as he posted that pic. 

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking you're either on McLean's side or you're a gammon. There's a massive amount of ground in between there. 

People also don't understand that you can agree with the IRA's motives but not their methods.  

Obviously the abuse and criticism he got before his post was out of order but he can have no-one to blame but himself since he posted the photo so to be now crying about the abuse and comparing it to black players getting abused for the colour of their skin is quite frankly pathetic. 

The IRA were responsible for Omagh amongst other atrocities, ergo, him wearing a balaclava to wind up folk shows that he thinks it's all a bit of a laugh and a subject that can be used light heartedly.
McLean's credibility automatically dropped as soon as he pulled the balaclava stunt whether people think he had any or not. Of course there were people who supported him and his beliefs and then automatically lost respect for him as soon as he posted that pic. 
People seem to be making the mistake of thinking you're either on McLean's side or you're a gammon. There's a massive amount of ground in between there. 
People also don't understand that you can agree with the IRA's motives but not their methods.  
Obviously the abuse and criticism he got before his post was out of order but he can have no-one to blame but himself since he posted the photo so to be now crying about the abuse and comparing it to black players getting abused for the colour of their skin is quite frankly pathetic. 
Absolutely this.

Separating the issue from the individual is vital here.

Again, he never grew up in Derry in the 70's. He never lived through Bloody Sunday. He has been brought up getting it drummed into him and now he's doing it to his children. 
As long as there are folk like him, on both sides, then there's no hope. The antagonising will continue and in turn, the death threats will. 
The only reason the media give it space is to stir it up further. Ignore the lot of them. 
You seem to be suggesting that the solution to serious historical debates is to ignore them completely in the hope that they'll go away.