The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You could just list the numbers of people killed from different countries in the 2 World Wars. Listing all the conflicts would get too complicated and the numbers could get subjective, like in Iraq. I saw the original All Quiet on the Western Front when I was maybe about 10-12, made a huge impression on me, about German school kids being told how heroic and fun it would be to sign up for WW1, and how it turned out. Too long for assembly obviously.

Yeah yeah - what's the story with the new signature?!  :lol:

beach.gif

I'd expect this kind of smut from the likes of @Alert Mongoose, but really.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yeah yeah - what's the story with the new signature?!  :lol:

beach.gif

I'd expect this kind of smut from the likes of @Alert Mongoose, but really.

Nairn beach last week IMO.  Welshy hiding in the marram grass with his iPhone.

14 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

If it was me I'd probably talk about how at its heart remembrance is not a political act. You're remembering soldiers who died to liberate occupied France in 1945 but you're also remembering soldiers who died suppressing the MauMau. It should be a prompt to reflect on the variety of ways in which our armed forces have been deployed since 1914, and whether pride or even gratitude should necessarily be the only thing you feel.

To light the mood at the end he could tell the Death by MauMau joke.

I'm making a brief PowerPoint to teach kids about remembrance at assembly next week.

Any suggestions to help escape the madness that currently surrounds poppy day?

Last time I was at the hearts Rememberance service Gary Locke (the manager at the time) read a letter from the front sent by a player who didn’t make it back which was quite effective as it grounded the whole thing to a human scale opposed to flags, maps and politics

Ideally you’d source a letter from a former pupil but if You want to put a twist on it then you could find one in translation so that the big reveal at the end is that private Schnitzelgruber never got back to his farm in Schleswig Holstein

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Last time I was at the hearts Rememberance service Gary Locke (the manager at the time) read a letter from the front sent by a player who didn’t make it back which was quite effective as it grounded the whole thing to a human scale opposed to flags, maps and politics

Ideally you’d source a letter from a former pupil but if You want to put a twist on it then you could find one in translation so that the big reveal at the end is that private Schnitzelgruber never got back to his farm in Schleswig Holstein

Why does it say "service" - quite rightly - in your post but "do" in the latest posts update?

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Oh ffs, literally grew up around  the corner from there. They've ruined my childhood. 

If i had been quicker, i'd have grabbed a photo of said 'strocity, but the bus was away whilst i was checking it out.  Maybe if i can, i'll try and get one to let you see what you're missing from home !!!! 

On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, pandarilla said:

I'm making a brief PowerPoint to teach kids about remembrance at assembly next week.

Why not tell them that 250,000 boys under 18 died in the first world war.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, pandarilla said:

Abseil down from the ceiling in a full poppy suit launching red, white and blue flares round the hall whilst the theme from the Dambusters blares out.

It'll be solemn as f**k.

2 hours ago, pawpar said:

Currently watching the parliament channel awaiting the result of the speaker vote and there is an old crone on it wearing the 3 biggest poppies I have seen. Look at me Look at me.

The deputy speakers all look like they were kept behind a year or 2 at school. Looks like one of them is going to win the big seat tonight.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The deputy speakers all look like they were kept behind a year or 2 at school. Looks like one of them is going to win the big seat tonight.

Is he watching the tv through his ear?