The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm making a brief PowerPoint to teach kids about remembrance at assembly next week.

Any suggestions to help escape the madness that currently surrounds poppy day?

We need to get as many generations as possible to stop this shit (all of it, not just the mental hysteria), so tell them that it's a load of bollocks and to not get involved.

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

My daughter has just got a purple poppy (in honour of the horses killed). Think she's a bit torn on the result of the world wars though as she feels the better dressed side lost. 

she's right - pickelhaubes are fantastic items of headgear

We need to get as many generations as possible to stop this shit (all of it, not just the mental hysteria), so tell them that it's a load of bollocks and to not get involved.
I can't do that.

But I think I'll have a pop at the 'over the top' nature of it these days. Might get a few pics from here.

57 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

she's right - pickelhaubes are fantastic items of headgear

I'd agree with that.

I've always thought that Imperial Germany was far cooler than the Third Reich. They had more emphatic moustaches for a start, not to mention brightly coloured tri-planes and kick ass Zeppelins. 

The world would certainly be a more aesthetically pleasing place if they'd won the great war.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm making a brief PowerPoint to teach kids about remembrance at assembly next week.

A brief and suitably subtle reference to WWI veterans who fought at the Somme or Paschendale and therefore refused to ever buy a poppy may be enough to get some of them thinking about it and looking to learn more without becoming sickeningly militarised.

That’s assuming that providing explicit quotes from those same soldiers about how much they despised Earl Haig and the true tragedy of that war was their friends dying for no good reason may be somewhat blunt and get you sacked.

It’s a shame that the poppy’s have been hijacked by **** and right wing Tommy Robinson supporting bams.

I have sympathy for the normal ex-Service people who have a hard time with PTSD or can’t find a job in civilian life but the whole thing has been stained by arseholes.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, pandarilla said:

Turn up with two pencils up your nose and a pair of underpants on your head.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

If it was me I'd probably talk about how at its heart remembrance is not a political act. You're remembering soldiers who died to liberate occupied France in 1945 but you're also remembering soldiers who died suppressing the MauMau. It should be a prompt to reflect on the variety of ways in which our armed forces have been deployed since 1914, and whether pride or even gratitude should necessarily be the only thing you feel.

Or maybe how human beings on all sides have been killed in wars over the centuries. It could never be that straightforward though could it?

11 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Have yet to see any Poppy vomiting buildings this year personally.

Not buildings, but went through Rosyth on the bus morning and protective barriers either side of a zebra crossing have been "adorned" with mega-sized poppies.  Looks horrendous and cheap/tacky. 

Not buildings, but went through Rosyth on the bus morning and protective barriers either side of a zebra crossing have been "adorned" with mega-sized poppies.  Looks horrendous and cheap/tacky. 
Do you know where that was? Trying to picture it.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:
4 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Do you know where that was? Trying to picture it.

At the Palace junction.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:29, pandarilla said:

You could just list the numbers of people killed from different countries in the 2 World Wars. Listing all the conflicts would get too complicated and the numbers could get subjective, like in Iraq. I saw the original All Quiet on the Western Front when I was maybe about 10-12, made a huge impression on me, about German school kids being told how heroic and fun it would be to sign up for WW1, and how it turned out. Too long for assembly obviously.