The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

See poppies does the money go directly to legion causes or does it get invested & if so what are the odds of an unethical investment exposé like happened with comic relief a while ago?

I think that 97% of the money generated goes directly to good causes.

They have a lot of reserves, I assume they get a lot of money in wills etc and will have a lot of value in property holdings.

See poppies does the money go directly to legion causes or does it get invested & if so what are the odds of an unethical investment exposé like happened with comic relief a while ago?

If anyone wants to go through their accounts they can download them here

https://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Annual-Report-Accounts-2016-2017.pdf

They do have investments of approximately two years turnover

I’ll leave it to others to dig further if they’re looking for dirt

17 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I think I may turn everything off on Sunday.....

The 11th day of the 11th month on the centenary of the end of the 1st World War and Celtic live on tv away from home.

Fully expect the internet to break at some point

It's so predictable. It will be like some boring routine where everyone knows their parts and performs as expected. It's pretty just an act that everyone involved feels they have to go through.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Surely that auld yin is just a talisman with a managed account.

He's got a wiki page if that means anything, and has published a few books, so I think he's real and can probably manage twitter. Not sure what a talisman means. Not every old person loses their marbles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Leslie_Smith 

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Aye but is he not about 100?

95. I've got an Auntie who's 103 and she's still as annoying and racist as ever. She used to buy me underwear for my Christmas when I was seven, the weirdo bitch. 

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
95. I've got an Auntie who's 103 and she's still as annoying and racist as ever. She used to buy me underwear for my Christmas when I was seven, the weirdo bitch. 

Hah. I've read a fair bit of Harry Smith's stuff & something about it feels a bit off. I don't doubt he'll have said & written some stuff along the lines of his twitter but it seems like its constant, day in, day out. He's very old, surely he'd have a bit of a rest sometimes? You never see him talking on telly for example which makes me think it's actually mostly done by someone or sone people who are younger & probably connected to Labour.

First time I've encountered him but there are a lot of ancient people aufait with the internet, and the jargon. I know an ex Daily Express hack in his late 80's early 90's who trolls all over the place in different identities. One of his big things is with the Met Office lying about the temperature because it's not measured in direct sunlight. Drives everyone mental. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, but they might not agree on the same one.

Well over three-quarters of the population of Derry call it Derry. Probably nearer 90%.

That makes it Derry and it's rank colonialism to call it anything else.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You may have a valid complaint there but the people of Munich, Paris, Florence, Seville and hundreds of other places are ahead of you in the queue so please be patient

That wouldn't be a stupid point if we were talking about Doire. But we're not, so it is.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Well over three-quarters of the population of Derry call it Derry. Probably nearer 90%.

That makes it Derry and it's rank colonialism to call it anything else.

What would you do to people who live there who still call it Londonderry? I still ask for a Madras in a curry house so I'm probably biased in this.